• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member from Ohio

Dragonmama

Bearded Dragon Egg
The lighting sounds great! Very similar to what we have! My husband says "thumbs up good to go!"
Beardies can be picky eaters, our adults are pretty bad lol our baby eats pretty much whatever we throw down. We sometimes
make "creepy salads" greens mixed in with some worms to get their attention. Just keep trying =)
Your new babies are adorable!!!!

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Giving kujo and yoshi their first bath today they are loving it. They both instantly pooped so in got that out right away, then both were just swimming around and licking the water. Yoshi likes hanging onto something though so I gave him a toy shark lol. He shedded his tail yesterday so going to let him soak to help with the rest. Has such a pretty coral sand stone type color to him.
uploadfromtaptalk1433692667303.jpg

I cut up some endive this morning and still nothing. I haven't given them any bugs. Wish they would give in to the veggies.

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Im pretty sure I dont want to starve them out.
But I got a bunch of the butternut squash and a bunch of the endive. Do I just replace the veggies daily, And if their not eating it eventually give them bugs? I know the one person said feed the babies 3 times a day. Kinda frustrating right now. I tried holding some veggies in front of them. Kujo would lick it but that's all. :s

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Sweet I spoke to soon! I put a dubia in by the veggies. Kujo wasted no time with the dubia. Tilted his head and ate a few pieces of veggies then went back up on his stump. I got a video just not sure how to post it yet lol

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Worked on both of them finally. So hopefully if I keep using that method they will eventually go eat veggies without having to be coaxed with dubias.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wouldn't with hold bugs (protein) from your babies in order for them to eat salad. Growing babies really need at least 80% protein and 20% greens. They should eat multiple times a day, 3 is ideal but 2 is also okay. Rule of thumb is whatever they can eat in 15 minutes which could be 20-30 crickets per meal. If they do eat greens that's a bonus but don't stress out about them not eating them just yet. Just make sure your feeders are gut loaded and your dragons are hydrated and they should be fine :)

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
I wouldn't with hold bugs (protein) from your babies in order for them to eat salad. Growing babies really need at least 80% protein and 20% greens. They should eat multiple times a day, 3 is ideal but 2 is also okay. Rule of thumb is whatever they can eat in 15 minutes which could be 20-30 crickets per meal. If they do eat greens that's a bonus but don't stress out about them not eating them just yet. Just make sure your feeders are gut loaded and your dragons are hydrated and they should be fine :)
Thanks patsy. I was also able to get them to eat strawberry by putting it on a dubias back lol. I haven't fed them any crickets. Strictly dubias so far which freak the wife out along with the first of veggie and fruits today. Looking into getting a dubia breeding kit from west coast roaches.
uploadfromtaptalk1433726270273.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1433726288533.jpg

Just got my big tank drained and cichlids are just going to the pet store for store credit in the morning. They have a screen top that fits 75, 90, and 100 gallon tanks that im going to get. So I will be taking your advice and splitting the 2 up.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I can't do dubia, they still freak me out too much. I feed mine mostly super worms and hornworms, sometimes they will eat crickets. They look real interested in the salad you made them. My girl is 2 1/2 and when she was younger she used to eat all sorts of veggies like this, my boy will only eat greens no veggies of any color. Can't wait to see your new set up. It really is for the best that you separate them.

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
I can't do dubia, they still freak me out too much. I feed mine mostly super worms and hornworms, sometimes they will eat crickets. They look real interested in the salad you made them. My girl is 2 1/2 and when she was younger she used to eat all sorts of veggies like this, my boy will only eat greens no veggies of any color. Can't wait to see your new set up. It really is for the best that you separate them.
They dont bother me. I pick them up. Just sometimes a pain bc they dont want to let go, so I have to flick my finger to get them off.

I just got tank drained, gravel out and clean as I can for now. Its a old tank but will work. I was mistaken when I said 100 gallons. Measurements are 48" * 18 * 24. So its a 90 gallon but should be just fine.

I hope bearded dragons dont mind a underwater cave background. It wasnt cheap, so figure I will leave it on.
uploadfromtaptalk1433731815201.jpg

That's about all I can do for now. Have to wait until my lights get here from dr smith and foster.
Really appreciate being able to talk to you all about this stuff. I am learning alot.

One question quick before I call it a night.

When bathing them in tub. Im seeing that perhaps I need to be dechlorinating the water? Ive got stuff to do it from my fish stuff but not sure if its necessary.

Thanks

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The tank size should be fine. Mine are each in a 36x18x18 and we don't have any problems. I've never declorinated the bath water. I do use declorinated or spring water for drinking for those times that I do put a bowl of water in their tank.

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
The tank size should be fine. Mine are each in a 36x18x18 and we don't have any problems. I've never declorinated the bath water. I do use declorinated or spring water for drinking for those times that I do put a bowl of water in their tank.
I just chopped up fresh endive and squash for the day. Kujo hopped right on the floor and started eating all by himself. No roaches needed. That makes me happy[emoji2]
uploadfromtaptalk1433767786046.jpg

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Was able to take all my fish and equipment to pet shop this morning. She was kind enough to let me get stuff in return, so thst was awesome. Great mom and pop shop!

Got a screen that fits perfectly on my 90
uploadfromtaptalk1433785515506.jpg

A little container and she gave me bunch of crickets. I put endive and squash in my magic bullet and it chopped it up perfect. Sprinkled calcium on it and they instantly dug in.
uploadfromtaptalk1433785639848.jpg

Also got me a colony of dubia. Some big males and bunch of females, then just a crap load of whatever lol. They are hiding in the cardboard but I also gave them veggies and those water treats that look like jello. If anyone knows a good place to learn about breeding them please let me know. I got a black heat lamp for them to keep them warm.
uploadfromtaptalk1433785863808.jpg

Was also able to get a large hammock.

I gave over 300 dollars wortg of fish stuff and im quite happy with what I got in return. Just glad my fish will be taken care of.

Ill try to get pics of these huge dubia lol. Freaking awesome.[emoji16]

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Kujo has just changed so much in the week we have had him. His colors are just stunning.
uploadfromtaptalk1433869514575.jpg
im ready to see yoshis colors to explode to. His back hasnt shedded yet but his tail and head have. Do colors indicate a the type or strain? Just curious how more in depth I can learn about my little guys.

According to ups my new light will be here tomorrow.

Both, but more so kujo is eagerly taking veggies different times throughout the day.

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Anyone have suggestions on my light and basking lamp placement? Pain getting everything cramped together.
uploadfromtaptalk1433947143789.jpg

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1433948477676.jpg
the light definitely brightens it up. I think I just dont like how the bulky 5 1/2 walmart fixture looks sitting up there. Maybe they make some that dont flare out so much. Ill have to look into them. There is no way a 8 1/2 inch would fit.. ugh

rowsley

Hatchling Dragon
Not sure if the better ubv light helps with shedding but wow yoshi is shedding big chunks today.
uploadfromtaptalk1433960605338.jpg

Latest posts