• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon lover

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok. Just read up on other threads and some u tube videos. Apparently these suck. Back to the store for me. :) I stuck my hand in and it does not feel 100 degrees so after I get the new electric thomaomitor gun it may take a few more days and an extra light to get this temp right.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How accurate are these? It has been at 80 on the hot side for a couple of hours. and 80 is what it said on that small tank I had.
Not very accurate really. In this link under my signature line you will find some info on gauges . In general those stick on ones only measure the temp on the glass and since they (dragon's) are not on the glass.... You should get a hand held temp gun home depots have them, Amazon or get the digital ones that have a little probe on a wire you set that on the key parts of your enclosure to see the temp I have a little key chain temp gauge and it is very accurate and fast.

I agree you should either move that ceramic log deal more under the basking spot or get another one so he can get up within 6-10" from the lights...And he can move around to thermoregulate himself

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya. When I saw the log I thought it would be perfect to get him closer to the heat light.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. Just read up on other threads and some u tube videos. Apparently these suck. Back to the store for me. :) I stuck my hand in and it does not feel 100 degrees so after I get the new electric thomaomitor gun it may take a few more days and an extra light to get this temp right.
:) no worries trust me I have 2 of them I started with, I do have one for the humidity and it works well..I have a probe one and the keychain one lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ya. When I saw the log I thought it would be perfect to get him closer to the heat light.
I love the new enclosure!!! nice job!!! you are a fast learner and that's great that you are able to adapt and do what's needed.. kuddos! The response back from your little one is worth it..
I'm still learning and having to adapt. For example I now know that as they grow the size of the bug they want to eat changes... I have tons of baby (nymph) dubias and Izzy turns her nose up.... but give her a big juv to adult and she chows down.. to the point that I'm having to take from my colony just to feed her... can't do this much longer or I drastically slow down my colony growth... order time for mid sized dubias

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm starting to regret getting the tall tank. Looks like it's going to be hard to heat up the bottom. Could not find the thermometer that y'all suggested but I got this outdoor one that should work. After leaving it in for two hrs temp is at 82 on the basking rock. Going to store tomorrow to get another heat lamp. He has explored a little bit today but has not climbed anything. So far he's enjoying the new tank. Poop looks good and he's been eating bugs and greens.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm starting to regret getting the tall tank. Looks like it's going to be hard to heat up the bottom. Could not find the thermometer that y'all suggested but I got this outdoor one that should work. After leaving it in for two hrs temp is at 82 on the basking rock. Going to store tomorrow to get another heat lamp. He has explored a little bit today but has not climbed anything. So far he's enjoying the new tank. Poop looks good and he's been eating bugs and greens.
that's not a bad thing they like the coolness at night.. As gets bigger it won't make a big difference especially if you can get spots higher up for him to lounge

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
that's not a bad thing they like the coolness at night.. As gets bigger it won't make a big difference especially if you can get spots higher up for him to lounge
Should I add another light or just help him get to the top of that log? I'm not sure he can climb up there on his own right now

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Should I add another light or just help him get to the top of that log? I'm not sure he can climb up there on his own right now
He should be able to climb that... you could always make a wood ramp/platform type of thing...or stack some bricks .... get creative

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I didn't want to be a Debby downer but I think you've already realized about height of your tank. Bearded dragons like to climb but as they get older they can really hurt themselves if they fall. So it's probably going to be fine for awhile but when he gets bigger you are going to want a tank that is longer and not so tall. Exoterra tanks are great tanks though and very versatile. You can use that tank for another type of animal. That would make a great tank for crested geckos or some sort of tree frog.

You could make a ramp system to get him closer to the lights or you can make something with bendy vines and branches. He's also going to need to get close to the UVB lighting to get the benefit of it. If you haven't looked already, the link on Hdrydr31's signature has some basic info that now includes lighting info.

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ya. I chose this cause I thought I could put some taller things in it for him to climb. Did not think about the lighting issue. Well I'm stuck with it for a long time so I'll have to figure something out. Ramp may work.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ya. I chose this cause I thought I could put some taller things in it for him to climb. Did not think about the lighting issue. Well I'm stuck with it for a long time so I'll have to figure something out. Ramp may work.
yep get creative I have a half cinder block and a long piece of thick bark in mine to get Izzy up

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wish I had better pictures. When Dexter was a baby we tried to get her 6 inches from her UVB light so we used the bendy vines attached them together and ran them the length of the tank as she got heavier we braided them together to hold her weight. We also got large Mopani wood decorations that also got her closer to her lights.

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'll try that. I moved the log under the heat light and it's over 106 degrees there. As long as he can climb it to get to the top he will be fine I guess. So I have three spots for him to chill out. Ones at 106, 83, and 77. I'll placed him on the log after his bath and he's enjoying the warmth. He's still biteing me today but hopefully with the better temps he will stop and relax

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Heat rocks are not safe at all for them and lettuce is not good either. You want greens mustard turnip. No lettuce . I make mustard greens and grate cucumber or apple berries are good

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Getting the temps better. Log is at 107, basking rock at 97, on the carpet in the hot zone is 84, and cold area is 79-75. He still acts like in going to hurt him when I walk past and when I try to grab him. He has not bitten me since fixing the temps. I've been shoving greens in his mouth when he opens it at me. I got him some phenox worms. But he won't eat them. He tried one but decided against the rest. And advice to get him to ear worms or is he just being picky.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Getting the temps better. Log is at 107, basking rock at 97, on the carpet in the hot zone is 84, and cold area is 79-75. He still acts like in going to hurt him when I walk past and when I try to grab him. He has not bitten me since fixing the temps. I've been shoving greens in his mouth when he opens it at me. I got him some phenox worms. But he won't eat them. He tried one but decided against the rest. And advice to get him to ear worms or is he just being picky.

Good job getting much better, that cool side can come down a bit more 70's. And the log temp is where he can get to to bask?
How are you going at him to pick him up?? are you coming from the front or side so he see's you? or are you coming from above him? if so don't the ridges over his eyes can't see you just see's a shadow and that kick's his fight or flight move as you may be a predator... You may want to put some background up to help him feel a bit more safe..Remember to him your HUGE he's still very small..
Not really sure shoving greens in his mouth when he's acting like biting you is the way to go.. Have you tried long tweezers to hand feed? He could just be being stubborn.. He will eat

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I'm going from the sides. But he runs as soon as he sees my hand. I'm looking into backgrounds. Trying to find something nice. He has no issues if I put a cricket infront of him. But he just has no interest in worms. And yes. He can climb up on the log to bask. He spends time there or on the basking rock. Right now he's gone to sleep on one of his favorite sleeping spots. Last night he passed out on the ladder. Sure wish I could sleep as well as him.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 17

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I think it's just going to take time, you stated that he's gotten a bit better so just go slow, and in time you will gain his trust and when that happens this will seem like nothing..Have you tried handling him when he's sleepy? you might try that once he's sleepy just with him on your hand in his home then go from there.

Latest posts