• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dragon lover

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello everyone! I'm new to having a dragon. So glad there is a place like this where we can get advice or just chat about our adorable babies. I've had mine for a couple of weeks. He's over a month old and his name is Mr. Gus (I don't know his gender yet but the kids named him/her). :).

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum and welcome to having beardies!! They really are great little creatures! We would all love to help out in whatever way we can, so if you would tell us alittle about Mr. Gus's set up (size tank, lighting, temps, foods your offering, supplements, substrate) that kind of stuff we can help tweak things if needed..
We love pictures :) Enjoy the forum there are many great people here with ALOT of knowledge to share... let us know if you are in need of any links for food and lighting info as most of us here use the same resources..

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I am having trouble with his behavior. He has recently started running away from me and hissing and biteing me. As I got him for my kids to pet I need to get him to stop this behavior. Right now he is eating 20-30 crickets a day and lettuce is always available. He won't eat superstorm, but I am still offering them before I give him crickets. I have him in a 12x12 tank as we already had one. He just has a uv light and an electric heating rock. Temp on tank is at 80. I know he needs it warmer but I can't convince hubby to get a small heating lamp. Is the electric rock good enough? Do u think his aggression is due to the temp or because he's still scared.

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I posted the pic of his tank in general discussion. Could not get it to load here

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where is a good place to get a new tank? think the biggest at petco is 40 gallons
Check around different pet stores and the little non chain pet stores they often have good deals, a 40 gal is a good min size to get.. Have you been reading the post I've been doing with the other new person? lots of good info I would be giving you as well..

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yes. I have been. Good stuff. Do u think I should go ahead and get the new tank with better lighting? Or kee him in that smaller tank for a bit longer?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. I have been. Good stuff. Do u think I should go ahead and get the new tank with better lighting? Or kee him in that smaller tank for a bit longer?
get a bigger tank for sure and lighting your behavior issues stem from his/her environment. With the right lighting you won't need the heat rock they actually are NOT good for them as they don't sense heat well on their bellies and can burn themselves from any heat from below them.. And heat rocks are notorious for flaws and inconsistant heat

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok. Thanks. I'll see about getting that new tank tonight. Hopefully in a few days he will be relaxed again.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. Thanks. I'll see about getting that new tank tonight. Hopefully in a few days he will be relaxed again.
I guess I would think of it as how can I make their environment so they are comfortable, have things to do, things to explore as natural to being out in the wild... (minus the sand :) )

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When you are picking him up make sure you are scooping him up from under his front legs. They have a gland on top of their head that senses danger and he may see you as a threat if you are putting your hand over his head.

Other things to do to calm him would be to put something of yours in his tank like a t-shirt or scarf that has your scent on it so that he can get used to your smell. At this age his bark is worse than his bite, don't show him that you are afraid of him if he opens his mouth or hisses at you don't flinch he will eventually give up.

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Good idea. It it ok to lightly stroke his head? He closed his eyes when I did it and looked to enjoy it

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good idea. It it ok to lightly stroke his head? He closed his eyes when I did it and looked to enjoy it
Sure!! My Izzy loves to have her head stroked especially when she's tired and slowing down for the night! Each evening I bring her out and put her on my chest and cover her with my fleece vest or a fleece blanket that's where she sleeps all evening until we go to bed then I put her under her cool hide for the night.
They will also close their eyes when they are full or don't want anymore of what your giving them. lol it's kinda cute I'll hand feed Izzy alot and when she's full she will close her eyes like "No mom I'm full...." I'll back away and try again and she does the same... or I'll try something else like a collard green and she'll eat it lol soo funny.. It comes down to you learning your dragon

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the new tank set up. 150 wat for basking and 15 wat for cool side. I need to get s thomaomitor for the cool side.

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Here is the pic. It did not load with the last post

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22

Valiant

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How accurate are these? It has been at 80 on the hot side for a couple of hours. and 80 is what it said on that small tank I had.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts