• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Bearded Dragon

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie just wanted to update ya … I took some of Charlie’s poop to the vet and he did have parasites… no coccydia (?)… I didn’t take him in so I didn’t stress him further. He has two meds for a few days… he’s just really not been eating as much the last day or so and no matter the temps he’s staying on that cool side. I just gave his first meds and I feel so horrible… he’s really gonna hate me now!.. but maybe he’ll start being a bit better. I hope I made the right decision… is there anything concerning meds for parasites I need to be aware of?
The meds will effect his appetite --- I would take out most decor pieces w/ the exception of one basking piece and maybe his hide --- whatever substrate your using if its cleanable w/ a disinfectant like Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 if you have that on hand they will work the best for killing the parasites -- your gonna haft to disinfect that tank everytime he goes poop -- its a pain but you want the parasite gone so he does not reinfect himself again --

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
The meds will effect his appetite --- I would take out most decor pieces w/ the exception of one basking piece and maybe his hide --- whatever substrate your using if its cleanable w/ a disinfectant like Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 if you have that on hand they will work the best for killing the parasites -- your gonna haft to disinfect that tank everytime he goes poop -- its a pain but you want the parasite gone so he does not reinfect himself again --
Oh wow…ok.. glad you told me that! I had no idea. They didn’t bother to tell me that! I have ceramic tile for substrate. He has a hide but never has gone in there. Ok… well I have my work cut out then! The meds are panacure (?) and albon… same things I’ve given my dogs in the past. The meds will decrease his appetite?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow…ok.. glad you told me that! I had no idea. They didn’t bother to tell me that! I have ceramic tile for substrate. He has a hide but never has gone in there. Ok… well I have my work cut out then! The meds are panacure (?) and albon… same things I’ve given my dogs in the past. The meds will decrease his appetite?
Yes they can -- as long as hes eating thats good -- Blaze was on both this last spring - didnt seem to faze him tho -- tile is good --- you can clean and sanitize that real good w/ the stuff I posted earlier ---- its going to be easier for you to clean -- it is loose in the tank right the tile? --- ? did you grout or seal it ? Mine is loose layed in there w/ some thick shop paper towels from Walmart under the tile -- it catches the watery urate so all I do is pull the tile clean and replace the paper towel underneath --

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Yes they can -- as long as hes eating thats good -- Blaze was on both this last spring - didnt seem to faze him tho -- tile is good --- you can clean and sanitize that real good w/ the stuff I posted earlier ---- its going to be easier for you to clean -- it is loose in the tank right the tile? --- ? did you grout or seal it ? Mine is loose layed in there w/ some thick shop paper towels from Walmart under the tile -- it catches the watery urate so all I do is pull the tile clean and replace the paper towel underneath --
I grouted mine in there.. I realize after the fact that I probably shouldn’t have… but it is grouted as tho it were on the floor.. no placed where anything can get under the tile. I had a wooden enclosure built and the tile was tile I had lying around so the had to be cut and I never could get them to really fit without a lot of gaps so that’s why I grouted. I sealed the whole enclosure with several coats of Drylock, 3 coats of an acrylic paint and then 3 coats of a polycrylic sealer.. so there are no cracks like between anything. He is eating but the last couple of days not as much as before. I gave him his first dose this afternoon. I realize after reading that the albon is for coccidia… I just brought a fecal sample in so I didn’t get to actually talk to the vet..I just ordered the zoo meds wipeout from Amazon.. it’ll be a couple days getting here.. can I use bleach or ammonia until it comes in?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I grouted mine in there.. I realize after the fact that I probably shouldn’t have… but it is grouted as tho it were on the floor.. no placed where anything can get under the tile. I had a wooden enclosure built and the tile was tile I had lying around so the had to be cut and I never could get them to really fit without a lot of gaps so that’s why I grouted. I sealed the whole enclosure with several coats of Drylock, 3 coats of an acrylic paint and then 3 coats of a polycrylic sealer.. so there are no cracks like between anything. He is eating but the last couple of days not as much as before. I gave him his first dose this afternoon. I realize after reading that the albon is for coccidia… I just brought a fecal sample in so I didn’t get to actually talk to the vet..I just ordered the zoo meds wipeout from Amazon.. it’ll be a couple days getting here.. can I use bleach or ammonia until it comes in?
Diluted bleach- make sure it's aired out- the f 10 is a concentrate and last a long time+ spray area let it sit for 10 minutes or so then wipe down + I would take him out of the tank I have 2 small pet carriers I use for my dragons got one off of Amazon the other at Petco pd more at Petco

brindle01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi we rescue and rehome. Have you changed the UVB light and which one are u using? If you don’t have the correct UVB and if it’s not replaced every 6 mnths the dragon will suffer with no energy and unable to absorb vitamin D or breakdown the calcium and will get brittle bones (MBD). You need the long uvb tubular light; that’s the best and most recommended. It’s the reptisun 10.0 T5 the length you order should cover 70 percent of the tank. And always replace it every 6Mnths. Make sure he has a hideaway to get away from the uvb as needed also. Never ever use coiled or colored bulbs. Also, do the calcium 4 times a week once per day only. And on a non calcium day sprinkle herptivite vitamin powder. As far as proteins Dubias are great also add crickets they are a great protein. And veggies/greens: Do not feed carrots, lettuce or spinach. The best is Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash is excellent cuz it has calcium, butternut squash, geeen beans and snap peas. Once a week give blueberries/mangoes & papaya as treats. Also is his poop runny? If so he has a parasite; take him to the vet for a stool sample ASAP. Poop should be firm. If you have sand substatte remove it; they ingest it and it impacts them. Use whiter terry cloth towels. As far as the Heat for a juvenile 8 mnths old or younger the heat should be between 100-105 and use a digital thermometer and an infrared gun those are the most accurate. When he’s older 9 mnths or older they like the temp 95-100. If he’s not basking; then the temp could be too Hot or bot hot enuff….but I wud bet it’s the UVB light. Here’s a pic of what to buy amd tank set up. Keep both the heat and uvb on for 10-12 hours in the winter & In the summer 12-14 more likely 14. Remove all food and water dishes at bedtime, always keep the tank ckean or he can get an Upper respiratory infection or a parasite. And all lights off at bedtime; they like dark and quiet. Use a ceramic heat emitter at nite if temp drops below 70 this emits heat but no light. Typically it’s best to use it in the winter months not in the summer. And because yorus is young use the heat emitter every nite till he’s 7-8 months old to keep the temp at 80; when they are young temp at nite should be around 80 as an adult it can be 70 when sleeping but not below 70.
Hi,
Thank you for replying. He has a UVB strip light and both the light and the heat lamp are on from 8.00 Am to 10 PM. Think I might be using the calcium a little too much so have now reduced it to as you say. He got over his shed last time and the reason why he was lethargic was that he was shedding as he's doing the same thing this time. We have recently moved him into a 6ft viv with longer strip light. He has turned white from bade of tail to head, looks like he's about to shed as been very quiet again. Have upped his baths to encourage the shed. Thank you for you're reply.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,
Thank you for replying. He has a UVB strip light and both the light and the heat lamp are on from 8.00 Am to 10 PM. Think I might be using the calcium a little too much so have now reduced it to as you say. He got over his shed last time and the reason why he was lethargic was that he was shedding as he's doing the same thing this time. We have recently moved him into a 6ft viv with longer strip light. He has turned white from bade of tail to head, looks like he's about to shed as been very quiet again. Have upped his baths to encourage the shed. Thank you for you're reply.
please do not up the bathing let the shed do its thing if hes in a bigger tank and going into shed its going to cause the behavior your getting first relocation stress and the bathing isnt helping ---- the strip light what are you using for a tank that size he needs at least a 36" Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb that is one that can be used there are 2 others I can post as well -- what kind of screen do you have on the tank? That will determine placement --

brindle01

Bearded Dragon Egg
please do not up the bathing let the shed do its thing if hes in a bigger tank and going into shed its going to cause the behavior your getting first relocation stress and the bathing isnt helping ---- the strip light what are you using for a tank that size he needs at least a 36" Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb that is one that can be used there are 2 others I can post as well -- what kind of screen do you have on the tank? That will determine placement --

brindle01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie,
I have posted some pictures of his viv. Everything is what the guy in the pet shop recommended, he's very knowledgeable . When I think back ,it all started when we moved him into his new viv. We have a 6ft viv ,but we got a bigger strip light as advised I have a feeling its something to do with the heat lamp as this viv is alot taller and wider than his smaller one. We haven't got a screen. He has eaten very well today but won't chase his locusts like he always used to do ,you have to hand feed him . His poos are normal.
Thank you
Sandra

Attachments

• 20211208_211743.jpg
    20211208_211743.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211208_211801.jpg
    20211208_211801.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211208_212609.jpg
    20211208_212609.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20211208_212529.jpg
    20211208_212529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211208_212529.jpg
    20211208_212529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20211208_211743.jpg
    20211208_211743.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie,
I have posted some pictures of his viv. Everything is what the guy in the pet shop recommended, he's very knowledgeable . When I think back ,it all started when we moved him into his new viv. We have a 6ft viv ,but we got a bigger strip light as advised I have a feeling its something to do with the heat lamp as this viv is alot taller and wider than his smaller one. We haven't got a screen. He has eaten very well today but won't chase his locusts like he always used to do ,you have to hand feed him . His poos are normal.
Thank you
Sandra
What uvb are you using? Brand and bulb they have certain distance for the T 8 or T 5--- please replace the yellowish basking bulb-- please get a CLEAR bright white basking bulb example exo Terra intense basking bulb--the CLEAR bright white will provide UVA-- the pellets I would replace too loose substrate will harbor bacteria and can cause infections and impaction-- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank you cen get it from your local home improvement store or Walmart clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution-

brindle01

Bearded Dragon Egg
What uvb are you using? Brand and bulb they have certain distance for the T 8 or T 5--- please replace the yellowish basking bulb-- please get a CLEAR bright white basking bulb example exo Terra intense basking bulb--the CLEAR bright white will provide UVA-- the pellets I would replace too loose substrate will harbor bacteria and can cause infections and impaction-- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank you cen get it from your local home improvement store or Walmart clean w/ vinegar and water 50 50 solution-
Hi Sadie,
Iam not sure of the brand of the uvb ,however since you're reply we have taken the basking bulb out of the tortoise for now put it in the viv as that's a clear bright basking bulb which is more intense and given the tortoise what was in the viv until we get one tomorrow. The digital thermostat on the side we've noticed only goes up to 92 f.
Really appreciate all you're help
Sandra

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie,
Iam not sure of the brand of the uvb ,however since you're reply we have taken the basking bulb out of the tortoise for now put it in the viv as that's a clear bright basking bulb which is more intense and given the tortoise what was in the viv until we get one tomorrow. The digital thermostat on the side we've noticed only goes up to 92 f.
Really appreciate all you're help
Sandra
Ok temps need to be 95-100 for adult please get the info for the uvb please-- this is crucial