• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Bearded Dragon

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
What was the cool side? I would get the basking temp down to 95-100 Charlie is not a baby anymore and he is going to NOT like so hot temps ---
Cool side is 86… but it usually not that.. it’s been really hot here.. it is normally 82-83… I let it get too high before I got the fan on it… ok I will knock that basking surface too 95-100… is the 90 hot ambient ok?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool side is 86… but it usually not that.. it’s been really hot here.. it is normally 82-83… I let it get too high before I got the fan on it… ok I will knock that basking surface too 95-100… is the 90 hot ambient ok?
Yes ---- 86 is ok but I would not recommend any higher -- they need a cool place to go if they need it

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Yes ---- 86 is ok but I would not recommend any higher -- they need a cool place to go if they need it
Ok… I’ll keep the cool side lower than 86 tomorrow…. I’ve changed out bulbs… I lowered the basking surface to 100 and gave me an ambient of 89-90. That’s better for his age? He’s still wanting to go up to that high cool side… maybe he won’t want to as much since lowering temps.. thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok… I’ll keep the cool side lower than 86 tomorrow…. I’ve changed out bulbs… I lowered the basking surface to 100 and gave me an ambient of 89-90. That’s better for his age? He’s still wanting to go up to that high cool side… maybe he won’t want to as much since lowering temps.. thank you
Just watch his behavior

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok I definitely will
I just want to let ya know that for the first time Charlie ate about 4 pieces of salad…a few BSFL …2 superworms (on top of his salad) and at least 8 roaches.. a combination of the one inch and the smaller ones. I’ve kept his temps lower this morning… 99 basking surface.. 87 basking area (I’m sure this will go up in the day a bit)..and 79 cool end. I thought this was good news as it’s the first piece of greens he’s had in the last 3 weeks he’s been here!…please tell me if those temps are still wrong… thank you… I honestly would not be able to do this without your advice…

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi,
We have had our Bearded Dragon now for approx 3 months,he is around 6 months old. He has been in good health. Lately just yesterday he has not been his usual self,he is still eating well,no discharge from eyes or nose . Just not as active. I have checked his temperature on his basking spot and its 29.7 celsius with 40% humidity. Please could you advise if this is hot enough as that is what pet shop advised. He has a diet of locusts and Dubai Roaches with spring greens and veggies sprinkled with calcium powder. He is going to go into a new 6ft viv that we have bought him soon. Thank you.
Hi we rescue and rehome. Have you changed the UVB light and which one are u using? If you don’t have the correct UVB and if it’s not replaced every 6 mnths the dragon will suffer with no energy and unable to absorb vitamin D or breakdown the calcium and will get brittle bones (MBD). You need the long uvb tubular light; that’s the best and most recommended. It’s the reptisun 10.0 T5 the length you order should cover 70 percent of the tank. And always replace it every 6Mnths. Make sure he has a hideaway to get away from the uvb as needed also. Never ever use coiled or colored bulbs. Also, do the calcium 4 times a week once per day only. And on a non calcium day sprinkle herptivite vitamin powder. As far as proteins Dubias are great also add crickets they are a great protein. And veggies/greens: Do not feed carrots, lettuce or spinach. The best is Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash is excellent cuz it has calcium, butternut squash, geeen beans and snap peas. Once a week give blueberries/mangoes & papaya as treats. Also is his poop runny? If so he has a parasite; take him to the vet for a stool sample ASAP. Poop should be firm. If you have sand substatte remove it; they ingest it and it impacts them. Use whiter terry cloth towels. As far as the Heat for a juvenile 8 mnths old or younger the heat should be between 100-105 and use a digital thermometer and an infrared gun those are the most accurate. When he’s older 9 mnths or older they like the temp 95-100. If he’s not basking; then the temp could be too Hot or bot hot enuff….but I wud bet it’s the UVB light. Here’s a pic of what to buy amd tank set up. Keep both the heat and uvb on for 10-12 hours in the winter & In the summer 12-14 more likely 14. Remove all food and water dishes at bedtime, always keep the tank ckean or he can get an Upper respiratory infection or a parasite. And all lights off at bedtime; they like dark and quiet. Use a ceramic heat emitter at nite if temp drops below 70 this emits heat but no light. Typically it’s best to use it in the winter months not in the summer. And because yorus is young use the heat emitter every nite till he’s 7-8 months old to keep the temp at 80; when they are young temp at nite should be around 80 as an adult it can be 70 when sleeping but not below 70.

Attachments

• AA1FA977-E89B-4FB4-85E3-027880C4D7A7.jpeg
    AA1FA977-E89B-4FB4-85E3-027880C4D7A7.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • 3EFFC18F-96D0-4410-A55F-3D76A7D3248E.jpeg
    3EFFC18F-96D0-4410-A55F-3D76A7D3248E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 673C61C2-2E40-45BE-BBD8-97BB70D487C6.jpeg
    673C61C2-2E40-45BE-BBD8-97BB70D487C6.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 9C8B8726-3D51-4A1D-8A49-200D89CADAC1.jpeg
    9C8B8726-3D51-4A1D-8A49-200D89CADAC1.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 5
  • D2A723CB-CB96-4557-AA31-96C27F2BFDE8.jpeg
    D2A723CB-CB96-4557-AA31-96C27F2BFDE8.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 7

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just want to let ya know that for the first time Charlie ate about 4 pieces of salad…a few BSFL …2 superworms (on top of his salad) and at least 8 roaches.. a combination of the one inch and the smaller ones. I’ve kept his temps lower this morning… 99 basking surface.. 87 basking area (I’m sure this will go up in the day a bit)..and 79 cool end. I thought this was good news as it’s the first piece of greens he’s had in the last 3 weeks he’s been here!…please tell me if those temps are still wrong… thank you… I honestly would not be able to do this without your advice…
Don’t give superworms until he reaches 1 year of age. They are tuff on their digestive system. Also no salad do mustard greens, collard s greens, dandelions yellow squash, etc please my in depth lost I posted minutes ago and get the uvb light changed and ordered asap

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great--- let him be at those temps-- keep me posted please. Watch his poop we want full digested food

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Don’t give superworms until he reaches 1 year of age. They are tuff on their digestive system. Also no salad do mustard greens, collard s greens, dandelions yellow squash, etc please my in depth lost I posted minutes ago and get the uvb light changed and ordered asap
Why would I need to change my uvb light?? I have a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 mounted inside and 18 inches from basking. His salad he ate this morning was mustard greens and bok choy with squash. He’s been eating superworms.. only as a treat every other day. I just need him to start eating greens so I gave them this morning instead of this afternoon. Maybe wrong person here?
That's great--- let him be at those temps-- keep me posted please. Watch his poop we want full digested food
I will definitely be watching. Thank you again

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Why would I need to change my uvb light?? I have a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 mounted inside and 18 inches from basking. His salad he ate this morning was mustard greens and bok choy with squash. He’s been eating superworms.. only as a treat every other day. I just need him to start eating greens so I gave them this morning instead of this afternoon. Maybe wrong person here?

I will definitely be watching. Thank you again
Hi; I have the right person; we reacue and rehome. the UVB light u have is correct; all UVB’s need replacing every 6Mnths or he will have little to no energy and eventually MBD. Pelase read my in depth post to you it’s in great detail.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Hi; I have the right person; we reacue and rehome. the UVB light u have is correct; all UVB’s need replacing every 6Mnths or he will have little to no energy and eventually MBD. Pelase read my in depth post to you it’s in great detail.
Thank you .. I will read. I just bought this uvb about 3 weeks ago but I most definitely will replace it in 6 months. I’ve already put the 6 month mark in my calendar. Thank you

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Sadie..Charlie just pooped…and here is a pic. He’s eating great …has been basking a lot more than usual today. I have hot side at 90….basking surface at 101… cool at 81. And his poop is not extra smelly…also, he has really been active today…moving around his enclosure a lot. Today is the first day he has been this active. Yesterday made 3 weeks he’s been with me

Attachments

• F0C6A975-F08B-41B1-838E-5EFC50A53A02.jpeg
    F0C6A975-F08B-41B1-838E-5EFC50A53A02.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Also Sadie….Charlie weighed 156 grams according to the breeder upon arriving to me. I bought a scale yesterday and weighed him.. he weighs 286 grams. I calibrated my scale so I know it’s right… I’m not sure the breeder was right but assuming so then has he gained too much weight in 3 weeks or are we about right. I got insurance on this little guy so as soon as he’s acclimated good he’ll go for a wellness check… unless you think he needs to go now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie..Charlie just pooped…and here is a pic. He’s eating great …has been basking a lot more than usual today. I have hot side at 90….basking surface at 101… cool at 81. And his poop is not extra smelly…also, he has really been active today…moving around his enclosure a lot. Today is the first day he has been this active. Yesterday made 3 weeks he’s been with me
Ok so the temp change helped poop looks fine a little watery but that could be what your feeding him -- what salad stuff are you giving him any red or green peppers stuff w/ a lot of water content cucumbers no regular lettuce please like ice berg -- hes getting acclimated to the tank what about eating how is that going ?

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok so the temp change helped poop looks fine a little watery but that could be what your feeding him -- what salad stuff are you giving him any red or green peppers stuff w/ a lot of water content cucumbers no regular lettuce please like ice berg -- hes getting acclimated to the tank what about eating how is that going ?
Definitely no lettuce. I’m trying to give him turnip and mustard greens fresh from a garden..not store bought… and squash. He will only eat it if he accidentally gets a piece in his mouth..but that’s not daily. He’s eating Dubais daily… this morning he ate about 8 of the one inch roaches and a hornworm this afternoon.. I keep the greens in his enclosure daily…. Today he did not eat as good as yesterday but still ate. But today he has been moving around so much more than ever before… I do think he’s slowly getting acclimated. He’s definitely gained weight… from 156 grams.. according to breeder to 258 when I weighed him today.. yesterday was 3 weeks he’s been here. He really did bask so much more today so I think the lower temps are what he likes. I think maybe I’m giving him too many baths?? Could that over hydrate him causing some runny poop?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely no lettuce. I’m trying to give him turnip and mustard greens fresh from a garden..not store bought… and squash. He will only eat it if he accidentally gets a piece in his mouth..but that’s not daily. He’s eating Dubais daily… this morning he ate about 8 of the one inch roaches and a hornworm this afternoon.. I keep the greens in his enclosure daily…. Today he did not eat as good as yesterday but still ate. But today he has been moving around so much more than ever before… I do think he’s slowly getting acclimated. He’s definitely gained weight… from 156 grams.. according to breeder to 258 when I weighed him today.. yesterday was 3 weeks he’s been here. He really did bask so much more today so I think the lower temps are what he likes. I think maybe I’m giving him too many baths?? Could that over hydrate him causing some runny poop?
Only if hes actually drinking the water --- are you rinsing the greens before serving them -- the roaches will provide some hydration if they are gut loaded before feeding them like at nite then fed in the morning - hornworms will give good hydration -- you do not need to bath him as much as you are -- dragons are desert animals and do not need baths all the time - most of the people I know only give a bath if they are severally dehydrated / have poop all over themselves or have femoral pores that are plugged - dragons get their main hydration thru the salads they eat -- and the gut loaded insects

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Only if hes actually drinking the water --- are you rinsing the greens before serving them -- the roaches will provide some hydration if they are gut loaded before feeding them like at nite then fed in the morning - hornworms will give good hydration -- you do not need to bath him as much as you are -- dragons are desert animals and do not need baths all the time - most of the people I know only give a bath if they are severally dehydrated / have poop all over themselves or have femoral pores that are plugged - dragons get their main hydration thru the salads they eat -- and the gut loaded insects
Ok.. he’s not drinking the water at all. I do wash all the greens before putting them in the bowl he’s just eating them.. I am giving him a hornworm or two one day and then a couple of superworms the next day. I’ve been keeping greens and apples and squash..sometimes a piece of potato or sweet potato in the container with my roaches all the time. I can tell the roaches eat what put in there. I will not bathe him so often then. I’m definitely gut loading the bugs so … he does not look dehydrated and his colors are really bright. I just really wish he’d eat those greens. I had high hopes a couple of days ago when he took a few pieces from my hand.. but yesterday and today no… he wasn’t having them.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok.. he’s not drinking the water at all. I do wash all the greens before putting them in the bowl he’s just eating them.. I am giving him a hornworm or two one day and then a couple of superworms the next day. I’ve been keeping greens and apples and squash..sometimes a piece of potato or sweet potato in the container with my roaches all the time. I can tell the roaches eat what put in there. I will not bathe him so often then. I’m definitely gut loading the bugs so … he does not look dehydrated and his colors are really bright. I just really wish he’d eat those greens. I had high hopes a couple of days ago when he took a few pieces from my hand.. but yesterday and today no… he wasn’t having them.
You can tell by his poop if he's dehydrated- good poop is formed dark moist urate formed/ little hard and white

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
You can tell by his poop if he's dehydrated- good poop is formed dark moist urate formed/ little hard and white
Sadie just wanted to update ya … I took some of Charlie’s poop to the vet and he did have parasites… no coccydia (?)… I didn’t take him in so I didn’t stress him further. He has two meds for a few days… he’s just really not been eating as much the last day or so and no matter the temps he’s staying on that cool side. I just gave his first meds and I feel so horrible… he’s really gonna hate me now!.. but maybe he’ll start being a bit better. I hope I made the right decision… is there anything concerning meds for parasites I need to be aware of?