• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My SuperWorms

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is our superworm colony left click on the last pic

P5270071.jpg

P5270070.jpg

P5270069.jpg

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I working on those. havent had much luck they are producing but doenst seem like the babies want to grow. How do you separate the babies from the beatles or dont ya.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just pick the Beatles out when it's time to move them but I use rubber gloves they have a smell they put on your hands that stincks for days

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay this may be a dumb question but what is the difference between a super worm and a mealworm - they look an aweful lot alike to me, and I thought dragons should not eat too many meal worms?

Oh and how do you keep those beetles in the containers? Can't they climb out?

I would like to start a cricket colony but are there other bugs that may be better for the dragon?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What substrate do you use in with your supers? When I order them in bulk I put them in dried mashed potatoes. Is there something better to use?

Okay this may be a dumb question but what is the difference between a super worm and a mealworm - they look an aweful lot alike to me, and I thought dragons should not eat too many meal worms?

Oh and how do you keep those beetles in the containers? Can't they climb out?

I would like to start a cricket colony but are there other bugs that may be better for the dragon?

If you put them in a plastic container with smooth walls then they can't climb out.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use chicken layer non medicated and wheat bran

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
How do you care for the superworms and how long before they turn into beetles? I went to the petstore yesterday and bought some so now I know the difference between a mealworm and a superworm, the superworm is a meal worm on steroids... they are HUGE. :eek:

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do you care for the superworms and how long before they turn into beetles? I went to the petstore yesterday and bought some so now I know the difference between a mealworm and a superworm, the superworm is a meal worm on steroids... they are HUGE. :eek:

To turn them into beetles we place 1 worm in a 35mm camera film container no lid and place it in a shoe box in the dark they will change into a larva then a beetle it takes a few weeks.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use a tackle tray with multiple departments and keep them in a dark area

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
we have beetles that are going to be a year old soon:eek:

jessicap

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
To turn them into beetles we place 1 worm in a 35mm camera film container no lid and place it in a shoe box in the dark they will change into a larva then a beetle it takes a few weeks.
Do you put anything in the container for them to eat/or for moisture? What do the worms eat? I have them on some rabbit pellets since that is what the petstore was using. If I get more I will get some egglayer for them and some bran like you have. How about something for the worms to drink? Do you put anything else in the container with them other than the substrate of egglayer and bran?

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you put anything in the container for them to eat/or for moisture? What do the worms eat? I have them on some rabbit pellets since that is what the petstore was using. If I get more I will get some egglayer for them and some bran like you have. How about something for the worms to drink? Do you put anything else in the container with them other than the substrate of egglayer and bran?

Carrots and the worms also eat the bran and chicken layer some people use oats

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ive been useing oatsmeal but it doesnt seem to be doing much. How long doese it take for your worms to get any size to them

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it takes months do you have any beetles ?

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya i have about 2 dozen going to set up more this week for the mutation lol

Latest posts