• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just a rant!!!!

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok so I am in the process of getting a petition set up for pet co and pet smart! I am going to get a po box that people can write a letter and sign it at the bottom and send it to me! Then along with my 20 page long letter I will attach all of the letters! Of course it will be from anonymous people except the signature unless they don't want it to be! So I am just seeing who would like to participate! I think when they start seeing this they may want to change things around! It will be a long shot but I thought hell what do I have to loose?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can type one up no problem and i will sign it with my professional title and give them my contact info i would love to hear their proposed "fix" to the problem.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
G'day mates,

I assume that pet store atrocities go beyond just beardies and involve other reptile species accross the spectrum over there. Just a suggestion if you guys are really serious about it as i assume most people that visit this forum are members of others (i often bump into people here that i know from other forums). It might be a good idea rather than just targeting the specific companies why not take on the problem head on as a whole. Instead of petitioning Petco, Petsmart, petwhateva, put everybodies pooled anger to a positive use and target the federal government (not in terrorist kinda way lol). Start a petition and involve all the animal welfare organizations you can get to listen to ban petsores from selling reptiles all together.

It's always the same complaints over and over countless times about these chain companies, so try and put a stop to the trade all together. Bring the sale of these creatures back to the responsibilty of people that care "breeders".

Here in OZ petshops can not sell reptiles without obtaning a commercial license from the state government. The care of the stock is also radomly monitored and we could make complaints about a particular store directly to the governing bodies which could result in severe penalties for the company (under animal cruelty act) as wel as fines and their license being revoked.

Maybe the gov can put similar law in over there as well where people or companies that sell reptiles need to be licensed (might shut up hr699 or whateva it was as well). This could be a money making scheme for them as well (easier to sell it to the gov if they know their going to make money of it). This way only well educated companies and breeders can sell them as there is now accountability for their actions. As soon as people see the mistreatment of animals they can easily be shut down (well companies anyway not so much "backyard" breeders) with just one or two phone calls. This will force these chain stores to clean up their act.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The thing is with all the fighting that USARK has done to keep the federal government out of the reptile industry (as they are steadily trying to ban more and more animals to be able to be owned/bred/traded in the us) a campaign being started to bring the federal government into putting a checks and balances system in place for reptiles in pet stores would probably be fought tooth and nail by them against us.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Also, that bill- The bill is designed to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife species that may harm the economy, the environment, human health or native wildlife. H.R. 669 would require the federal government to assess the risk of nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation and, with public input, decide if the importation of these animals should be allowed or prohibited. You have to start somewhere! And also you cant just go to the government without any written or non documented proof!! You have to show that something is trying to be done!!

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
The thing is with all the fighting that USARK has done to keep the federal government out of the reptile industry (as they are steadily trying to ban more and more animals to be able to be owned/bred/traded in the us) a campaign being started to bring the federal government into putting a checks and balances system in place for reptiles in pet stores would probably be fought tooth and nail by them against us.

Is there a national animal welfare governing body over there? Maybe instead of going full federal you guys could approach them instead. We have a federal one but is still autonomous from the gov itself (RSPCA) but has the power to prosecute and enforce cruelty laws on a government level. Maybe the issue could be brought up to USARK and see what they say about it as I'm sure they would be concerned about it as well. This will clearly come down to a cruelty case as it is obvious that chain stores don't care as their is no accountability on their part.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
nonnative wildlife species
Here's the problem with HR ban, as well as other small regulatory ventures. They can't identify the word native. One person defines native as indigenous or naturally born, while another defines it any species with the ability to adapt and survive without interference from man. When they can't agree, they go to the extreme and want to ban them all.

Latest posts