• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just a rant!!!!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Who is in charge of the show, and do they have an established set of rules/policies?

yes, however they do not have the authority to dicate how any particular breeder/seller keeps or feeds his animals. There is no written standard on husbandry nor feeding to constitute a "policy". If there were, it would be argued by every single person in there, because the chances of it being written by someone that has never kept that species is extremely high.

Lance,
Sorry this was an act thought to be "entertaining" by the breeder. Realizing that some things are not appropriate, especially in sight of young children is SUPPOSED to be part of adult common sense. When common sense goes to hell................this is whats left.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Who is in charge of the show, and do they have an established set of rules/policies?

yes, however they do not have the authority to dicate how any particular breeder/seller keeps or feeds his animals. There is no written standard on husbandry nor feeding to constitute a "policy". If there were, it would be argued by every single person in there, because the chances of it being written by someone that has never kept that species is extremely high.

Lance,
Sorry this was an act thought to be "entertaining" by the breeder. Realizing that some things are not appropriate, especially in sight of young children is SUPPOSED to be part of adult common sense. When common sense goes to hell................this is whats left.

Very well put!!! Thank you so much!! ;D

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lance should know plenty about lack of common sense in people. Dealing with the quality of people joining the military today adamently shows that common sense has become an extremely uncommon virtue. lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tell anyone that goes to vend at a show, to get involved with the public. Talk to them. Involve their kids. Show interest in something other than their money. You may not be the kewlest guy on the block, but eventually, they'll realize that you ain't dumb.

I think I would have politely, however sternly, informed the man how upsetting his practice was to children. And although the reptile community is primarily based on adults, young adults, and older teens, there are many children that participate as well. AND IT IS ADVERTISED TO BE A FAMILY EVENT. I would encourage him to feed more appropriate items during viewing times, and hold his "theatrics" until after closing. I personally, would not have been soft spoken, and would not have cared who heard.

For the record, I keep snakes, and feed my snakes well. I have a 3 year old grand daughter that has participated in this act since she could walk. She's taught that this is survival, and the natural order of things. The sights, the sounds, and all things involved she is witness to, and it does not upset her. Yet I know adults that cringe at the idea or the sight sends them running. I believe that there is so much we try to protect children from that they may find useful to learn. Not that it is for the kind or soft hearted child.........

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yet I know adults that cringe at the idea or the sight sends them running. I believe that there is so much we try to protect children from that they may find useful to learn. Not that it is for the kind or soft hearted child.........
and that is what i call the "pussification of the nation" everything is so censored and touchy feely these days that children often times are completely unprepared for the real world.
k im not going to start that rant cause ill be typing all day. so yeah
im done lol

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In some ways I do agree with you Brian. Staying on the topic of animals, there are things children can and do understand if they're taught, and things that would upset them gravely.

For instance, I might lie to my grand daughter if her puppy were to die. She knows that when animals feed on other animals, they are dead, but yet she is too young to comprehend death in the same manner.

However, she has no issue when it's deer season.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
Lance should know plenty about lack of common sense in people. Dealing with the quality of people joining the military today adamently shows that common sense has become an extremely uncommon virtue. lol

That is so true!!! They just have no clue!!

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
I tell anyone that goes to vend at a show, to get involved with the public. Talk to them. Involve their kids. Show interest in something other than their money. You may not be the kewlest guy on the block, but eventually, they'll realize that you ain't dumb.

I think I would have politely, however sternly, informed the man how upsetting his practice was to children. And although the reptile community is primarily based on adults, young adults, and older teens, there are many children that participate as well. AND IT IS ADVERTISED TO BE A FAMILY EVENT. I would encourage him to feed more appropriate items during viewing times, and hold his "theatrics" until after closing. I personally, would not have been soft spoken, and would not have cared who heard.

For the record, I keep snakes, and feed my snakes well. I have a 3 year old grand daughter that has participated in this act since she could walk. She's taught that this is survival, and the natural order of things. The sights, the sounds, and all things involved she is witness to, and it does not upset her. Yet I know adults that cringe at the idea or the sight sends them running. I believe that there is so much we try to protect children from that they may find useful to learn. Not that it is for the kind or soft hearted child.........

I agree but she does no the difference! I also agree with all these other issues about parents not explaining what is right and what is wrong! She also does no about how animals in the wild eat other animals and insects!! She was just upset seeing a beardie getting fed that! I tried to explain that it does happen in the wild! Then she asks me if I was gonna feed our dragons that!!! And I said noooo wayyyy!!!! That is for snakes and other animals. ;D I mean she wants to go hunting with me!!! ;D

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Twobeardieguy said:
crypticdragons said:

dude you have no idea
i had a boot try to check in with me today in blue jeans and a blinged out southpole hoody. WTF. I couldnt believe it really how do you forget so fast from a school to hear that you check in in a dress uniform. I had to keep my composure since its a "kinder gentler" military these days but oh i wanted to choke him out.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
crypticdragons said:
Twobeardieguy said:
crypticdragons said:

dude you have no idea
i had a boot try to check in with me today in blue jeans and a blinged out southpole hoody. WTF. I couldnt believe it really how do you forget so fast from a school to hear that you check in in a dress uniform. I had to keep my composure since its a "kinder gentler" military these days but oh i wanted to choke him out.

LOL, LMAO ;D But so true!! LOL!!!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he actually walked in my office and said "whats up g, im checkin on board yo"
man you aint never seen someone move that fast that wasnt getting shot at lol. i was in his face in half a second almost got mean but calmed down told him to get the F out and come back in a uniform and report properly. havent seen him yet though lol.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
;D LOL, you scared him off!!! :D LOL HAHAHHA!!!! I got word my buddie is green he goes for debrief then he gets shipped over there next week! Man this sucks!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah im glad im going back to the blue side of the house cause RPs are getting called up left and right for deployment. tell your buddy keep his head down and his ass covered and good luck.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree but she does no the difference! I also agree with all these other issues about parents not explaining what is right and what is wrong! She also does no about how animals in the wild eat other animals and insects!! She was just upset seeing a beardie getting fed that! I tried to explain that it does happen in the wild! Then she asks me if I was gonna feed our dragons that!!! And I said noooo wayyyy!!!! That is for snakes and other animals. I mean she wants to go hunting with me!!!

it sounds like that's a pretty intelligent little girl. Recognizing what she sees as something you don't do, vs what someone else is doing and the way the animal is reacting to the situation. It's a shame that the vendor couldn't see the same thing in her.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
I agree but she does no the difference! I also agree with all these other issues about parents not explaining what is right and what is wrong! She also does no about how animals in the wild eat other animals and insects!! She was just upset seeing a beardie getting fed that! I tried to explain that it does happen in the wild! Then she asks me if I was gonna feed our dragons that!!! And I said noooo wayyyy!!!! That is for snakes and other animals. I mean she wants to go hunting with me!!!

it sounds like that's a pretty intelligent little girl. Recognizing what she sees as something you don't do, vs what someone else is doing and the way the animal is reacting to the situation. It's a shame that the vendor couldn't see the same thing in her.

As a 6 year old she is pretty smart when it comes down to that!! It just really makes me med to see those type of people not even care about the reptile!! :mad:

Latest posts