• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm getting a beardie and need help please

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Basking should be a white bulb, BDs thrive on Bright, white light.

I have no idea what Manzeez is talking about.

Basking temps should be measured directly at the basking spot ( The area closest to the basking bulb, which should be the hottest place in the enclosure that your BD has access to), not on the back wall, BDs rarely will be found scaling & basking on vertical walls. There is a huge difference in temps 3-4" off center of the heat bulb compared to center.
Example of a Basic Setup: Showing the recommended Basic requirements, proper Temperatures & the points at which they should be measured from, in Red & the optional choices that are actually used in this particular example enclosure, in Black.​

BDsetup-1.jpg

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks.Shall i attach the thermometer probe to the basking platform as that will be the hottest place or try attach it to the side of the viv nearest to the basking spot?

I am a little bit concerned that we wont reach the desired temperatures as the dimmer stat we have (Habistat) only goes up to 32 degrees. I have looked on the net and this seems to be quite standard so how can i get it hotter without removing the dimmer stat?
Cheers

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and that exact same log that the beardie in the picture is on and I have 150 watt basking bulb on the screen over that area and my basking temp stays right at 103 degrees and my probe is right where the basking spot is and not on the glass. I also have this log laying down on its side because the basking area gets too hot with the log standing up , actually gets to 110 degrees and my beardie kept keeping his mouth open which told me he was too hot.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
In a 40 gallon breeder tank is a 50 watt halogen bulb enough to keep the temps up where they should be? Right now I use an Exo Terra 150 watt basking bulb but yes as stated they are quite expensive and I like to keep a few bulbs on hand incase one blows so if I hadn't seen this I might have went to the hardware store and bought a 150 watt halogen at the hardware?
Basking should be a white bulb, BDs thrive on Bright, white light.

I have no idea what Manzeez is talking about.

Basking temps should be measured directly at the basking spot ( The area closest to the basking bulb, which should be the hottest place in the enclosure that your BD has access to), not on the back wall, BDs rarely will be found scaling & basking on vertical walls. There is a huge difference in temps 3-4" off center of the heat bulb compared to center.

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks everyone for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Just to let you know where I'm upto;

I've got the temps to 78 degs in the cold side and 105-110 degs in the hot side which is really pleasing.

The Viv's up, just need a basking log and we're ready to go.

Hopefully, I'm off to see the breeder this weekend so with any luck could have the little fella on Sunday.

I'll keep you all posted!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you don't have the basking spot yet, how do you know your hot side temp, which is your basking temp? :confused:

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Time for another, possibly daft, question!

From what distance to the heat bulb should the basking platform be?

As you'll see from my pics of the inside of my empty viv, the heat bulb hangs down from the top of the viv as opposed to being flush from the top so any basking platform I create surely has to be pretty low yeah??

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
The basking spot should be close enough to get the temps right, but far enough away to prevent your dragon from getting burned. I use a cover to my cage, so mine is actually pretty close to the bulb.

They can jump FAR for their size. Mine is about 12 inches long, and he almost jumped to the top of his cage when I was cleaning it the other day! His hand was less than half an inch from the lip of the aquarium, which is 13 inches tall. :eek:

Use your best judgement. If it looks too close, it probably is. You can always use a higher wattage bulb if you think he can jump high enough to touch it and get burned.

Pat B

Super Moderator
My Spike burned his tail when he was little because the bulb was too close. Please be careful. Spike now has a stub!! and he looks 'funny' but I still love him!!
AND.....there is never ever a 'daft' question....because if you don't know and you don't ask....then shame on you!! :D

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there, well it looks like I will be getting my BD this weekend all being well. He's a citrus Leatherback from Fire and Ice in the UK.

Pics to follow....