• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm getting a beardie and need help please

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, I have found a breeder who has BD's aged between 8 and 11 weeks which, by the time I am ready to get one will be 10 - 12 weeks.
Are they old enough to go in a 4 foot viv and to be left alone from 6am until 5pm? (from a feeding point of view).
Cheers!!!!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
In my short experience, I would say no. I have to go back to Germ's recommendation to get an adult dragon. When they are young, they want to eat A LOT. With your work schedule, you'd get overwhelmed with an under-nourished dragon pretty quickly.

TRUST ME. If I wasn't married I'd be worried for my dragon. :)

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks Augie,
I am slightly confused as the BD care sheet says that BDs up to 2 months need live food 2-3 times a day whereas BDs over 2 months only require live food 1-2 times a day so I could feed him live food before I leave for work and when I get back home.
This is all confusing.....

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I can tell you from personal experience that my dragon definitely eats 3 times a day (well over 2 months old), and ravenously at that! :D Maybe one of the more long-term carers can give you a different insight. To me, it just sounds like the gap you will be gone is too much. It also sounds like your enclosure is a bit to big for a younger dragon, but I would think with the right husbandry that part could be worked around!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much! Just to give you some perspective, I've had my dragon for about 3 months now, and he's still a pig. He refuses greens, so I methodically gut-load my crickets to ensure he gets what he needs. I myself work similar hours to you, and I know if I was doing it alone my dragon would be suffering.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Augie,
I am slightly confused as the BD care sheet says that BDs up to 2 months need live food 2-3 times a day whereas BDs over 2 months only require live food 1-2 times a day so I could feed him live food before I leave for work and when I get back home.
This is all confusing.....
Whether you feed a young Juvenile 1 or 2 times a day depends greatly on it's appetite & appetites can vary greatly from BD to BD. If you are away 6am-5pm & if you want to feed prey prior to leaving, then you have to turn your lights on at least an hour or 2 prior to this, so your BD has a chance to warm up prior to being fed. Most of us have found that a 12\12 Day\Night schedule to be the best for our BDs, your schedule would not allow for this, let alone have any quality time with your BD.

My suggestion would be to have an electronic timer to run the lights, set for 9am-9pm. Before leaving in the morning, as quietly as you can, while trying not to disturb your BDs sleep, place some greens in the enclosure, this may help start it eating greens also & give it something to eat when it wakes after lights on. Immediately upon arriving home at 5pm, feed it live prey & try again at approximately 7:30pm. Do not feed anything less than an hour before lights out. Be sure to remove all uneaten Crix prior to lights out or they can come out at night, nibble on your BD & otherwise bother it's sleep. This Day\Night schedule will also allow you some interaction time in the evening with your new pet.

Good luck

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just be sure to keep the same consistent Day\Night schedule at the same times of the day, everyday.

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
If I was to get a 12 week old what sustrate should I use?
I note that children's washed play sand is ideal but only for once your BD is, or is in excess of, 10".
Until he is, what do you recommend? Can sand paper be used??

Pat B

Super Moderator
I would not use sandpaper. Use something like paper towels of newspaper.... Easy to clean up when they are tiny. You are correct about the sand. Use only strained childrens play sand if that is what you choose when you beardie gets older.

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Another question please...
Is Reptivite, without D3, all I need as Cricket Dust or do I need anything else?
I'm getting the Viv today so hopefully set it up over the weekend. I can't wait!!!!
I need to buy a little bit of furniture for the Viv today so can I ask anyone what I should get especially for basking? What height should it be? The Viv is 43.4 cm high, 49cm deep and 115cm wide.
Thanks, as always guys!!!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Reptivite or herptivite, is to be used once or twice a week, other wise all live prey should be dusted with phosphorous free Calcium. Here is a good feeding & supplementation schedule
General feeding/supplementation schedule:
For hatchlings and young juveniles (up to 2 months): Fresh greens/veg. 1-2 times daily - Live prey 2-3 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – one day per week calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For juveniles and sub-adults (2 months to sexual maturity): Fresh greens/veg 1-2 times daily - Live prey 1-2 times per day
Dusted: All Live Prey five days per week with phosphorus free calcium – One day per week with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

For adults (generally 1+ year): Fresh greens/veg 1- 2 times daily - Live prey every 2-3 days.
Dusted: Live Prey every other feeding with phosphorus free calcium - Twice per month with calcium with D3 - One day per week with a vitamin supplement such as Reptivite or Herptivite.

As there are different circumstances that may arise, this schedule is recommended only as a general guide and may be altered to accommodate individual situations. Using a tracking method of when you dust prevents unnecessary use of product and more importantly, potential harm to your dragon! With proper and effective UVB lighting, supplementation with vitamin D3 is not imperative but should be provided in small amounts. Excessive levels of oral vitamin D3 can potentially lead to the excessive absorption and utilization of calcium and/or toxicity as can the excessive use of supplements containing high levels of vitamin A. Over use of any supplement can have the potential to cause serious health problems, stick to an appropriate supplementation schedule.

Read more: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/basic-bd-care-sheet-a-place-to-start.5177/
Your Basking area should be something that will get your BD approximately 8-10" (20-25 cm) from the top when Basking, so the BD will have close enough access to the UVB bulb.

MattyD

Hatchling Dragon
Hi there, I have just got my Viv and set it up and need some help please!!
I cant get the temps at the hot end to go above 88.9 degs. Is my thermometer in the wrong place? Is the bulb not powerful enough? Its 75 w.
Pictures attached of the Viv.
By the way, does the heat bulb have to be infrared?
Thanks, MattyD
IMG_5629.JPG
IMG_5630.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_5632.JPG