• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

If I have offended-my apologies

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Sandy.
I do things my way, but i do follow a code. In all the years I've done this........I've never stopped learning, I suppose when i do it will become borish.

I'm very interested in the aspects that Red Ink Aus and Tim and a few others bring out as well. They are somewhat different than my practices, and I'm very curious. Not in an opposing way.....but in a way that leads me to ask questions. That's something I don't get to do very often and actually get honest answers back. I'm looking forward to continuing our conversation on enclosures and husbandry. Currently right now my time is very limited with my own stock, and my fathers recouperation from surgery. But soon, very soon

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I honestly don't think any of these people would be offended if you asked "why" they tried any certian thing. I figure they're alot like me and have specific reasons and outcomes. I do wonder sometimes why we belong to forums that don't promote open minded thinking, as it truly gets us nowhere, and when we do have a question, there's nobody to ask.
In all the years I've done this........I've never stopped learning, I suppose when i do it will become borish.

Gina these are gems. I felt the need to copy and paste it so others will read it a second time through :)

My reasons for the why ?'s is as you said, trying to see and understand others point of view and experiences

"Why" is never a good question to ask on other beardie forums. The reason is because the answer is going to be "Because I read it somewhere". Chances are the person that wrote the "why" read it too and just regurgitated it to someone else. The person that responded to you is just regurgitating it also.

When I was young, my father never used UVB bulbs. I remember when Reptile product companies first started to push the use of UVB bulbs. They were a coil bulb and cost $40. The company never said reptiles need UVB, because if they did every one would of laughed. They simply said that reptiles do better with UVB. Fast forward to 2009 and UVB bulbs are "needed" to have a healthy animal. If you ask someone with some years in this hobby what will happen to a beardie who is never kept under UVB bulb and they will say "nothing". Ask that to a new keeper on a beardie or Iggy forum....... :)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
"Why" is never a good question to ask on other beardie forums. The reason is because the answer is going to be "Because I read it somewhere". Chances are the person that wrote the "why" read it too and just regurgitated it to someone else. The person that responded to you is just regurgitating it also.

That's a really good point Francis. It's a shame isn't it. the whole "click" of some places is so irritating. Almost like mindless chants from the "relocated un natural suburbians".

I remember not having UVB, I remember having only the option of sand, I remember no supplements, but i also remember succeeding at what i raised. Even today I find that sometimes reverting back to that "old school" way brings out the base line of every issue. I do believe there are some advancements present today that have brought our keeping to a level above what we ever have been, but i also believe some other practices bring about problems you see today.

With that said..............I think I've gone off on a tangent and we need a new topic to continue this conversation.

Sorry Sandy

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Crap.............sorry TIM!!!!!!!!

*mwah*

*hands TIM a tootsie roll*

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol... I was going to say... *hides the S.F again... *
seriously... what the huckleberryhound are Swedish Fish ? Not one word TOM ! :mad:
Janie ;)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i gotta admit...when i first went on one of the forums they pretty much turned me into a pretty close minded person and then little by little i experimented with different things and shared my findings even though some of the people didnt wanna hear it...that then lead into some very heated/borderline me getting banned because i said that their way wasnt the only way and that they shudnt flame on people who did things a little different...personally im for the tile for the safety issues but i still offer my dragons some dirt/sand to play around in too but i keep it in a removable box...ive also gotten issues over which feeders and foods i use as staples too but *sticks tongue out and makes raspberry noise* on them :p

janie u know what im talkin about (i think u do too gina)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i agree...at one point i was one of those "drones" back when i first got into dragons...after my first couple of heated arguments with the mods of the forum i decided to say "screw this im doin things my way to learn" and im so very glad i did...there is no 100% right way to care for these animals theres always going to be pros and cons to everything including tile but for me the pros outweigh the cons for my dragons and i and with the feeders, i got into a bit of an argument over the use of phoenix worms as a staple a while back on another forum...back when i bred my dragons i used them to supplement my female and used them as a staple along with silkies for my babies since they were soft bodied and alot healthier than crickets and my babies are monsters now (the ones i still get pictures of atleast)

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I often get castrated for the things i use to say when i first started joining US forums. I always have to keep reminding myself to play with "kid gloves". Frustrating at times but i suppose that's how things need to be done at times lol. I'm so used to aussie froums, we don't play with kid gloves, we call it as we see it but that's a cultural difference. Some of the stuff i have said on some aussie frorums would get me banned for life on US forums. Interestingly not even a warning from the aussie ones lol.

Oh i don't get offended easily Sandy and you could put/say whatever you want on any of my threads lol.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have never really appreciated the "mob" mentality on the very first bearded dragon forum i joined. fast forward years later after getting a ban on that one than i join another and learn to keep my mouth shut because questioning the norm is deadly on forum life. fast forward a few more years and here i sit today having finally FINALLY found a forum where you can discuss and question normal care without getting destroyed by the clique or being banned for voicing your questions.

Latest posts