• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybrids? your thoughts...

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
TheWolfmanTom said:
interesting,
so hypos, translucent, leathers, silkies ect, are virtually non existant there.
German giants. Are they a morph or naturally occurring?

All those morphs are non-exixtent here Tom as they are treated as a genetically deficient specimen thus most keepers here show no interest in them. Silkbacks are the poster child for border closures.

GGs as Brian said are "suspected" to be naturally occuring "yellow phase" dragons from the Northern Teritory region of Australia. There is a colaboration of breeders at the moment that i know of that have started a breeding program of "giants" (even by our standards) in South Australia. There has been no new news of this as it was met with a lot of scepticism by most purist keepers. Locality and specifics have been mentioned during the discussions but it is believed by most keepers and taxonomist that they are naturally occuring so nothing special. They were talking about vitticeps up to 27 inches long with heads up to 3 to 4 inches accross, but as of yet no real proof of this project has surfaced. I was actually at a petstore on Saturday that offers boarding for reptiles and i saw a BD that was 25 inches long with a head about 3 inches across (one of the biggest ones i have seen in a while).

The advancement of morphs here in OZ in BDs (or any other reptile) is not practiced as we work on localities, most of us are purist. Some breeders work on colours but that's the extent of what is deemed as "acceptable" in the hobby, even then they work on locality specific colouration. But like a said there is a growing trend of people looking for the colouration you guys have there as this is what the "newbies" want. Take for example if i was on the market for a red phase dragon and i saw one for sale the first question i would ask the seller is "what's the locality?" If you can not provide me this answer then the conversation ends there.

Beardies here command a very low price on the market, being considered a "beginner" reptile most people start of with them then move on. So unless you have a very "special dragon" by australian standards there's no market for them here. Even then you would be hard pressed for people to pay big $$$ for something so common. Breeders of BDs here do it for the love of it as there is just no money in it from a commercial point of view. The highest acceptable price you could ask for a highly coloured, locality specific specimen would be around the $150AUD to $200AUD and that's a suckers price for newbies for a juvie.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
those prices arent far off from the average for dragons here in the states. course they can be purchased for less (i have seen as low as 15 USD at shows) and more with companies like bloodbank listing some of their animals at 5000USD because of their deformities i mean morphs.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yall know what "oddity" is coming next right. whatever the superform of a silkback turns out to be. Someone (probably phantom or bloodbank) is going to breed like a silk trans to a silk trans and come out with only god knows what from that. :-[

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
They just keep changing those up. Soon they are going to start to diminish the whole bloodline or make them very nasty!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Start?

I find no beauty in something not meant to survive. Aside from the anatomy comparison.......those things just look ................sick

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I dont even want to know whats next. I hope that the "fad" dragons as i like to name them go out of style sooner or later and people stop pushing it to the extreme. But i know that wont happen. its all good, australia really sounds like a awesome place to retire to lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
a bunch of us seriously thought that this Silkback dragon was a fashion fad. Destined to be here today, gone tomorrow. Figuring the degree and degredation of genetics to make them, not to mention their picky care which is different from dragons.........we didn't see your average keeper having them. Yet, here they still are. The fly by night fad turned into an affordable "showcase" piece.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well it is still a "young" morph (or am i wrong)
there are not many people that breed them and even less that know how to keep them alive. so i still have my fingers crossed that they will go away.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have too but its generally the same people. the only retail giant breeders that i can think of that are producing them is bloodbank and prehistoric pets. I guess only time will tell. Either way i dont consider it a dragon any more at that point. its something different and in my opinion should not be classified as a dragon

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ask yourself where steven got them.

new? oh i forget, i'm old. i suppose you could call it fairly new, it's just been around long enough i thought it'd be gone by now. You know........like zoot suits and disco

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Yall know what "oddity" is coming next right. whatever the superform of a silkback turns out to be. Someone (probably phantom or bloodbank) is going to breed like a silk trans to a silk trans and come out with only god knows what from that. :-[
they already are producing hypo trans silkbacks and crap like that

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crypticdragons said:
Well it is still a "young" morph (or am i wrong)
there are not many people that breed them and even less that know how to keep them alive. so i still have my fingers crossed that they will go away.
ive actually seen quite a few "breeders" that produce them...bloodbank, dachiu, zooreptiles, prehistoric, allesandro (out in italy) and alpha dragons did one clutch of them i think to see what the care would be for them and if they would even make decent pets...now that everyone knows how to make a silkback anyone with the proper leathers/smoothies is trying to create them for the big price tag they get to sell them at...it drives me nuts! people are trying to make microleathers too which is more or less a silkback with a slightly tougher skin *bangs head on wall*

what really ticks me off is that it is damn near impossible to find dragons withOUT the leatherback/smoothie gene or being leatherback/smoothie itself

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
im pretty sure dachiu decided not to breed the silks (least i never saw anything else on em after that one they imported)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
last i heard it was one of their "future projects" but idk what they did with them or if they continued to do it

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah they havent updated the meat of their site in over a year. its been a future project since 07

Latest posts