• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybrids? your thoughts...

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
G'day guys,

Just thought I'd ask this as a general question (in regards to reptiles). How does everybody feel about it? Is it justifiable in the pursuit of something aesthetically pleasing, the thrill of being the first one to own a unique creature. More and more hybrids are being produced this days especially on your side of the pond (particularly with snakes). Do people like them or not?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but Nature made stuff so it would survive and florish... who are we to meddle with that ? lol
Janie

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thats a tough one for Me to answer. As a breeder I see the temptation to play with the genetic envelope so to speak. Now with that being said I cant do it. I look at silkbacks and think wow, and ewwwwww at the same time. Some things shouldnt be messed with I guess.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am with you Janie and Sandy however I am tired of being broke with the gas prices now a days!! I was thinking about getting one, mabe in 10 years!! ;) And I am with Tom on what he said about the silkbacks! ;)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hmmmmmmmm
Maybe I can breed the Godzilla morph.
Incubate the eggs at the base of 3 mile island.
God I miss b rate horror films...lol
sorry all off topic.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol... It's the season for that Tom... ;)
Wanna come down for movie night ? I got lots of those old B movies... ;)
Stop by and pick up Lance and his crowd too ... lol
Janie

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Actually I will pick Tom up cause he would be on the way! So what do you say Tom, "Road Trip"?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think friday or saturday there is going to be a evil dead/army of darkness marathon at my house lol
Bruce Cambell wooooo

and to the OP

In my opinion hybridization is a bit of a double edged sword. The cons have been stated above, possible health issues and the bastardization of a breed to meet the needs of fickle would be owners. But there is a good side to most bads. In my opinion the crossing of two genetically superior animals to try to prolong that species life is completely acceptable. So YYY snake is on the endangered species list and will be extinct if something isnt done in a matter of years. You have snake XYX that lives in a similar environment and is much hardier than snake YYY. You take a few of the YYY snakes and breed them with the XYX snakes. Over time you would be able to bolster the natural populace of the YYY snake with a YYY/XYX hybrid snake that when it breeds to the wild YYY snakes it will help boost that population.

Sorry that didnt sound as confusing in my head.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I see both sides to the argument but I feel if it's gone about the right way and for the right reasons it isn't too bad of a thing. For example, these hybrid/designer dogs/mutts to me are better off than a purebred in the case that purebreds are bred back to family members to keep those traits in the bloodline which also brings out the genetic defects and health problems more. By breeding 2 different animals you lessen the chance of those risks coming out but also new ones can arise. To me it's easier and not AS drastic to breed 2 mammals together than it is 2 different reptiles or amphibians because even if they are from the same genus, they could have completely different needs and when you cross 2 animals with different needs, what then for their husbandry? Which of the parent's reqirements get passed to the offspring? Herps have much more specialized care than most mammals do and that's why hybridization, to me is like playing russian roulette with the animals to come...sure some will do well but the others will get the "bullet" so to speak.

Not sure if that made any sense to you guys but in my mind it did lol

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Twobeardieguy said:
Guess nobody got my lil joke! ::)
lol i got your joke lance dont worry :D i actualy rented a hybrid car the other day (2010 honda insight) awesome lil car i actually liked it

TheVirus

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey Red,

When you say "hybrid" are you referring to morphs or specie and sub specie crossings. When I say "hybrid" I'm talking about crossing species or sub species like Frank Retes has done Argus/Gouldii/Flavi or gilleni/caudolineatus (or whatever else he has crossed).

I'm all for both as long as it produces healthy animals. Frank has said that he feels the crosses are the best captives because the animals don't have specie specific behaviours, but both or none. The just become awesome captives.

I know I'd love to own a real dragon. Like a small version of the dragon from Aragon. I'd like to breed a fire breathing dragon to a water breathing dragon, so the baby would blow steam. This way I wouldn't have to iron my clothes anymore. The dragon could just steam it for me :)

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
TheVirus said:
Hey Red,

When you say "hybrid" are you referring to morphs or specie and sub specie crossings. When I say "hybrid" I'm talking about crossing species or sub species like Frank Retes has done Argus/Gouldii/Flavi or gilleni/caudolineatus (or whatever else he has crossed).

I'm all for both as long as it produces healthy animals. Frank has said that he feels the crosses are the best captives because the animals don't have specie specific behaviours, but both or none. The just become awesome captives.

I know I'd love to own a real dragon. Like a small version of the dragon from Aragon. I'd like to breed a fire breathing dragon to a water breathing dragon, so the baby would blow steam. This way I wouldn't have to iron my clothes anymore. The dragon could just steam it for me :)

LMFAO!!! ;D

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tim ????? Just don't be wearing them at the time.. And I will want photographic proof.. anything happened ;).
That annoying sister type... Janie

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
TheVirus said:
Hey Red,

Yep, I mean sub-species to sub-species. It seems to be a "soft" issue over there. Personally and i would have to say 98% of Austraila would take this stance (a few people actualy have this as stickers or signatures) " Australia says NO to hybrids and the clowns that breed them".

What i was thinking is why people would want to do it. Is it for the money? The "bragging" rights or something else? I personally see no benefit in it, especially on OZ species, why would you dilute an already small stock over there?

If i purchase a carpet python i would expect to get a "carpet python" not some hybrid amalgamation of what is available.

Latest posts