• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gunna order ANOTHER 1000 crickets.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
zebraflavencs said:
Start up costs are high, yes, but once your colony (s) get rollin... you are set feeder wise, or until your dragon gets finicky, and wants a change...
hope that helps out.

I agree. Initial cost seems high, but you save money in the long run when you get your own colony going. Then you don't have to buy them anymore. Thus...saving you money. ;)

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mk so i went to the roach guy( if thats who you guys recommend ) and im confused when it says mixed does that mean there are other types of roaches in there? and will the 1 adult pair be enough? i watched a vid on youtube and the guy said he started with 80 females and 8 males.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
also, is my beardie a bit young to start one since he cant eat the adults yet, or do i just keep like a separate tube to move over the nymphs and let some of them get back to maturity when the adults start dying off?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've fed mine on roaches since they were 8 weeks old. Just adjust the size of feeders as yours grows is all... You don't start feeding adults to an infant dragon, but nymphs.
I also still feed all 9 of my leo geckos on roaches... Not the adults mind you, but the nymphs, correctly sized.. so you really can do this if you really want to.
Hope this helps.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
also if anyone who breeds them would post some pics of their setup that would be helpful.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, in time you will get over flow... sell those. Keep your females, sell off the males ;)

Set ups:
1 18 gallon( 72 quarts) plastic storage bin, 18" high would be best, with lid.
metal window screening.
Glue gun with glue stix or some sort of Permanent adhesive.
1 under tank heater for a 10 gallon fish tank.
6 egg crates that eggs are packed in for diner use ( you can normally find these at breakfast diners for FREE !) If not, I can find the link for ordering these.

Take the bin and the UTH. Afix the heater to one side of the bottom exterior of the bin. Do this on the long side. Set aside.
Take the lid, and cut out the middle of the lid, leaving 3-4" all around the part that clamps onto the bin itself intact.
Measure out enough of the metal screening to totally cover the opening, and still have enough to extend to the rounded part of the clamping part of the lid.
Using your adhesive, glue this screen down, keeping some tension on the screen to prevent sagging, and gaps. Set this aside to dry and cure.

Place the egg crates on the inside, where the UTH is afixed on the outside, this will give the roaches their warmth.

In the open space you can place your food bowl (shallow) and water crystal container (I tend to use a lid from a mayonnaise jar, well washed)

Wallah.. you now have your colony bin.
Hope this helps !

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mk well i have that setup already from an extra cricket tub i made, had to use another one that didnt have ridges on the bottom cause the 1/4" crickets were walking over each other instead of hiding and killing each other, so ive got the setup, i was going to order the 125 mixed with 1 adult pair starter kit(the kit just for the extra stuff) and order another pound of the water crystals. so all i would need is the uth. as far as selling them, i dont know anyone around here who would buy them, but the pet store may take them off my hands.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh, by mixed, it's meant different ages and sizes, not species.. not to worry.. and yes.. Jason is the BOMB ! Just tell him Janie sent ya... Be prepared for stories of how I made him work so hard his back and feet hurt for days ;) lol....

You really won't need more than say 100-200 to start out with.. Just give that spare only if IT HASN'T BEEN USED FOR CRICKETS !
If it has, then make a new one.
Also, Jason sells both roach chow and water crystals... Just ask him for a package.. The chow is enough to feed one of my colonies for a year... the water crystals will make 1 gallon of usable crystals. That normally lasts one of my colonies around 2-3 months depending on reproduction rates..
Oh.. and don't forget to place 1/2 of an orange weekly to encourage more breeding.. It really works ! lol !
Hope that helps out !

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
why cant u use the tub if its been used for crickets at one time? also how much chow last u a year?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3 packages of chow would last my original bunch.. I'm down from around a couple 100K to only 1100 give or take..

The reason not to use that, is because there is a cricket virus we are now aware of in the US. Don't know how long it has been here.. and I honestly don't have the information on how to properly clean it for reuse... This virus will effect ALL arthropods. That means crickets, roaches, super and meal worms, silks, butters...
So you see why I would suggest not reusing one from crickets to roaches.
Hope that helps !

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mm i see, also how long do i have to wait to tell if they are male or female to decide which to feed, and also, you have 100,000 roaches?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Had... I had to distroy the whole set of colonies since I had two species interbreeding.. not what I wanted..
Males should prove themselves by the 4-5th shed or around 4 months old.. that's when the wings will come in.
Hope that helps.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
now u dont have to worry about that only breading dubia correct?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I totally destroyed the last batch(froze them solid), which were corrupted with a second species.. all I have now are dubia, for feeders... I have Madagascar hissing roaches in a different enclosure, as pets.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ah ok, so im just gunna make sure, get the starter kit, breed them for about 3 months, then i can start to feed from them? also do i need a second tank to move the feeder nymphs to? sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure i know exactly what i need to do.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You don't move the nymphs, you move the adults... And yes, you can really start a new colony every 3 months.. but for only one dragon, you really don't need to do that.
Hope that helps.

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no i dont mean start a new colony, but shouldnt i move the nypmhs out so i dont have to sift through them every time i want to feed my beardi?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Na... once you have enough of a size, then you can move those... I used the 1/2" for my 8 week old babies.. I use the same size to 3/4" for the geckos...
The egg crates make all the difference.. you just turn them from one side, sort like flipping through the pages of a book, and pick out what you need.
At least that is what I tend to do...

grimm

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
mk well my beardie is 8.5 inches now and has about 1/2" between the eyes so how many roaches a day are we looking at per feeding?

Latest posts