• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding baby beardies

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok so I'm getting a baby bearded soon, I live in UK. After talking to BillandKaren on heating I've now sorted out the temperature. silly bulb wattage :) So onto making sure I understand feeding the little beardie... how often for the supplements for a baby?I read once a day for calcium n once a week for multivit....The size of crix for them.. everywhere i read says "no bigger than distance between the beardies eyes" so this made me think the length of the crix, is this right? I live right near a good reptile petshop with a readily available of on premises bred crix n dragons etc.. So I can get pretty much any of the size in crix.
What's the best type of salad stuff to get for a baby? I've read loads n never heard of some of the greens mentioned! Any advice on this would be good.
Thanks to anyone who replies! :)

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok. thanks. read many places about supplements. some say 6xcal (once er day) 1xD3 (if insufficient UVB) n 1xmultivit. but that chart says to give multi x 4-5.. on the same note. which type of vitamin, and calcium supplements are best.. I know D3 is important for digestion etc. and that comes from lighting mainly..I have a Repti-glo 10.0 UVB (33% UVA and 10% UVB) is that sufficient

tdharris70

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
From what I have read and done you are correct calcium 6 times a week and the 7th day the multivit. The d3 I am unsure as I dont use it, I have read that they don't need it as long as you have the proper UVB lighting. the repti-glo is questionable to alot, the best that has very good reviews it the Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB. And the UVB only lasts about 6 months then it startes loosing its UVB so it needs to be replaced. As for the greens I give them what I can get from the store :) what I have seen is they love the mustard greens, Kale isn't fed to mine as a staple but more as a treat. They also love fresh green beans, but they are also as a treat not staple. You are doing a great job with researching etc. It is really nice to see that. I think you will find just about all the help you need here. People here are really friendly and give great advice :)

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The D3 needed unless you have a MVB.
with a MVB (mecury Vapour Bulb) the beardy will produce it own D3 and adding the D3 to teh calcium becomes an issue. They need the D# to help them obsorbe the calcium into the system, so if you do not have a MVB then you need calcium with D3.
The coil UVB bulbs are an issue right now for Beardies for 2 reasons.....1) they do not emit a constant or high enough level of UVB and 2) they can casue an eye issue with Beardies that makes them get a condition similar to welders flash. The repti-Sun 10 Linear bulb is the best for beardies (in the north american markets).
As far as brands go for the calcium and multi vitamin, there are a few good options out there but I like the Repti-Cal calcium and Herptivite Multi Vitamin from Rep-Cal.
I also follow the 6 days and 1 day schedule that you mention above.

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Keep an eye on your little with that bulb, although they won't cause eye conditions they tend to gety weak very quick when compared to the Repti-Sun bulbs.
Consider changing it when the bulb is 3-4 months old.

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yeah was gonna swap it every 3-4 months anyway. As read that the UVB they produce becomes less n less as it gets older.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/facts-about-mercury-vapor-bulbs.pdf im calling B.S. guys. stick with a reputable company and a little common sense. im only 4 years into my dragons but their all in 20 by 40 enclosures with mercury vapor bulbs and not once have i ever had a problem. i dont use the cheap ones that u can find all over the net either.

Thats a good post but its apparent he is for the mvb but I think he is an ass and he can shove his gerbil up it. I don't use mvb on my Dragons and will put them up against any ones for being healthy

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
dont get me wrong i like mvb i have a bunch of them for my torts i just dont like his arrogance :mad:

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
cant argue that. he is an ass but i do like his bulbs. sorry, wasnt trying to say your dragons are inferior,just offering more options.:) do you do any shows?

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok, well I had my beardie breeder check my setup, he verified all the temps(the same i posted in my heating thread) and advised swap of bulb at like 3-4mths(same as advised here :) ) AND I am now the proud owner of a very active, very cute 12week old beardie now called Charlie with a VERY healthy appetite! he's loving his basking logs n his hammock at cool end to regulate in :) Loves his crix, watercress, grated carrot and spring(collard) greens.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ok, well I had my beardie breeder check my setup, he verified all the temps(the same i posted in my heating thread) and advised swap of bulb at like 3-4mths(same as advised here :) ) AND I am now the proud owner of a very active, very cute 12week old beardie now called Charlie with a VERY healthy appetite! he's loving his basking logs n his hammock at cool end to regulate in :) Loves his crix, watercress, grated carrot and spring(collard) greens.
http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf congratulations! hope we were helpful. check out this pdf form ive posted, i think it's quite useful.

Latest posts