• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does my bearded dragon have tail rot?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok I will go by the website but what I do exactly is the first month I had him I fed him everyday although he didn’t eat at all for the first week because his lamp was producing 87° and my basking platform was a foot away from the lamp but I knew something was wrong so I quickly educated myself and spoke to a vet and I got a stronger 150 watt light and a much higher platform he almost never hangs out at the top of the basking rockits very tall his head is usually like 6 inches away from the lamp I will attach a picture he sits in the same spot everyday usually random side note if I touch the top of the rock I will burn myself but I assumed that’s something they were made for but after the new light he was nursed back to health within 2 days and started eating I fed him a combination of sweet potato strings zucchini strings a lettuce everyday and every other day he got about 4 super worms and days that I didn’t give him worms I added a bit of calcium powder to his salad after a month I was told to feed every other day so I just started so I feed every other day and and every other day of the other day he gets worms so like for example tomorrow he’s getting salad with worms and Sunday he’s getting plain salad and Tuesday he’s getting salad with worms and so on I will read the website though when I’m back at home and yes I will test the rock with the probe and if necessary for will get a new rock hope not tho but I’ll keep u updated with the tempView attachment 27146
Feed your dragon every day ------ salads --- and get a staple insect -- super worms are not a staple feeder -- I will post some website later today but right now I have to get my two fed and a training for work -- NO more lettuce - hes on a terrible diet -- look for something like this for a basking piece https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
He is too close for the basking light 6" is the limit for closeness you do not want to burn him and if your hand was burning its gonna really do some damage to him --

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Feed your dragon every day ------ salads --- and get a staple insect -- super worms are not a staple feeder -- I will post some website later today but right now I have to get my two fed and a training for work -- NO more lettuce - hes on a terrible diet -- look for something like this for a basking piece https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
He is too close for the basking light 6" is the limit for closeness you do not want to burn him and if your hand was burning its gonna really do some damage to him --
Ok will get that today as well along with the thermometer from my local pet smart and I will work on his diet later thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Websites for worms / insects
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.mulberryfarms.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.joshsfrog.com
www.abdragons.com
You will need to shop around and look at what you want to get some carry a few of the things we feed some only carry one or two --- I order alot from dubiaroaches mulberry farms reptilian arts and flukers -- flukers has the best super worms -- they are big and healthy-- dubia has the best roaches and horn worms mulberry farms carries butter worms and I cant find them anywhere else -- I have never ordered from abdragons or joshs frogs but others have --

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Websites for worms / insects
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.mulberryfarms.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.joshsfrog.com
www.abdragons.com
You will need to shop around and look at what you want to get some carry a few of the things we feed some only carry one or two --- I order alot from dubiaroaches mulberry farms reptilian arts and flukers -- flukers has the best super worms -- they are big and healthy-- dubia has the best roaches and horn worms mulberry farms carries butter worms and I cant find them anywhere else -- I have never ordered from abdragons or joshs frogs but others have --
Wow I’m so overwhelmed with his diet idk what any of this means I need like instructions or a menu for each day of the week would you possibly be able to help me put that together??? I’m so lost with all the insects and I can’t have roaches or crickets my parents would kill me

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow I’m so overwhelmed with his diet idk what any of this means I need like instructions or a menu for each day of the week would you possibly be able to help me put that together??? I’m so lost with all the insects and I can’t have roaches or crickets my parents would kill me
just feed him salads every morning w/ a few worms on top like 1-3 worms -- either get some super or some horn or silk -- the silk you can get from www.reptilianarts.com order the cup for now they are a staple insect --- feed like 3 of them -- get your self a 10 gallon aquarium for dubia roaches -- order from dubia roaches.com order large for him around 100 of them get some dubia food / chow and some water pellets /crystals - feed them in small dish so they are hydrated when you feed them these are a good staple feeder - feed the silk and the roaches different days I can make up a chart for you its real easy
M-Sunday 7 days a week salads - mix your greens like collard / turnip -- kale / turnip -- collard / kale-- etc take and rinse before serving so he gets hydration -- add some cut up squash bite size pieces just slice one or two off thin like you would eat put on top along w/ some shredded sweet potato this will keep him regular -- you can add other stuff to the salad if you want like whatever you have in the house and off the website - green beans green peppers red peppers occasional fruit like strawberries blueberries raspberries melons--No citrus-- feed the berries sparingly especially blueberry they are high in sugar and you dont want to over feed sugar --
You need to get a staple feeder --- I just read the part about the parents --you can get silk worms they are more spendy but he needs a staple feeder - you can get some BSFL but they are tiny and you would need like 50 of them to feed at one feeding - they are small go look here and you would need to order large www.symtonbsf.com and you need a bowl like this to feed https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Use this for you salads and worms -- he would need the staple feeder 2-3 times per week DO NOT dust the BSFL if you decide to go w/ those -- they are calcium enriched -- keep them in the containers they come in -- the silk worms would need to be dusted when fed -- calcium D3 two days per week and the vitamins w/ beta carotene 1 time per week -- have you asked about the crickets or roaches -- the crickets are escape artist the roaches do not infest and are very easy to keep --- like what I posted before and a lot more economical for feeding but you must have a insect for feeding ---- ask me more questions if you need to --

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
just feed him salads every morning w/ a few worms on top like 1-3 worms -- either get some super or some horn or silk -- the silk you can get from www.reptilianarts.com order the cup for now they are a staple insect --- feed like 3 of them -- get your self a 10 gallon aquarium for dubia roaches -- order from dubia roaches.com order large for him around 100 of them get some dubia food / chow and some water pellets /crystals - feed them in small dish so they are hydrated when you feed them these are a good staple feeder - feed the silk and the roaches different days I can make up a chart for you its real easy
M-Sunday 7 days a week salads - mix your greens like collard / turnip -- kale / turnip -- collard / kale-- etc take and rinse before serving so he gets hydration -- add some cut up squash bite size pieces just slice one or two off thin like you would eat put on top along w/ some shredded sweet potato this will keep him regular -- you can add other stuff to the salad if you want like whatever you have in the house and off the website - green beans green peppers red peppers occasional fruit like strawberries blueberries raspberries melons--No citrus-- feed the berries sparingly especially blueberry they are high in sugar and you dont want to over feed sugar --
You need to get a staple feeder --- I just read the part about the parents --you can get silk worms they are more spendy but he needs a staple feeder - you can get some BSFL but they are tiny and you would need like 50 of them to feed at one feeding - they are small go look here and you would need to order large www.symtonbsf.com and you need a bowl like this to feed https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Use this for you salads and worms -- he would need the staple feeder 2-3 times per week DO NOT dust the BSFL if you decide to go w/ those -- they are calcium enriched -- keep them in the containers they come in -- the silk worms would need to be dusted when fed -- calcium D3 two days per week and the vitamins w/ beta carotene 1 time per week -- have you asked about the crickets or roaches -- the crickets are escape artist the roaches do not infest and are very easy to keep --- like what I posted before and a lot more economical for feeding but you must have a insect for feeding ---- ask me more questions if you need to --
Ok so I think I’m gonna go with the silkworms I’ll attach a photo and you can tell me if it’s the correct one I will order the bowl but insects are just not an option and I don’t know what the vitamin thing is can you send a link??? Does the container of silkworms smell?? And after I confirm this info with you I will make a food schedule for him (btw I don’t even know it’s gender he’s just all flat nothing is there)
76261ED4-6BD6-4205-A300-577045757777.png
B1B3D2C7-8053-4E28-B100-13F34D617434.png

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so I think I’m gonna go with the silkworms I’ll attach a photo and you can tell me if it’s the correct one I will order the bowl but insects are just not an option and I don’t know what the vitamin thing is can you send a link??? Does the container of silkworms smell?? And after I confirm this info with you I will make a food schedule for him (btw I don’t even know it’s gender he’s just all flat nothing is there)View attachment 27154View attachment 27155
I would order 40 if you can and those come w/ food --- if you order bulk like 50 they come small and you would / can grow them out only you would need to order food for them its a dry powder you mix w/ water and keep in a cereal bowl covered w/ saran wrap in the fridge and no they dont really smell - are you giving calcium w/ D 3 now? If you are you want a vitamin w/ out D3 -- which would be something like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/rep-cal-herptivite-multivitamin.html
look at your local pet store for this brand https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/rep-cal-herptivite-multivitamin.html or reptivite w/ NO vitamin D in it back of product will tell you if it has Vitamin D and w/ beta carotene which usually says on the front label --
Let me know about the silk worms --- if you order the bulk you need to clean the containers out daily and feed them daily-- they will spin silk in the containers -- they are a soft worm and they stick to everything --- I would also get some BSFL for him and supplement the silk worms -- feed the 50 BSFL to him and feed only 2 silk worms every couple of days -- use this coupon code for your order FEEDER10 -- you haft to have a insect feeder that is not a option to not have one --

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
I would order 40 if you can and those come w/ food --- if you order bulk like 50 they come small and you would / can grow them out only you would need to order food for them its a dry powder you mix w/ water and keep in a cereal bowl covered w/ saran wrap in the fridge and no they dont really smell - are you giving calcium w/ D 3 now? If you are you want a vitamin w/ out D3 -- which would be something like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/rep-cal-herptivite-multivitamin.html
look at your local pet store for this brand https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/rep-cal-herptivite-multivitamin.html or reptivite w/ NO vitamin D in it back of product will tell you if it has Vitamin D and w/ beta carotene which usually says on the front label --
Let me know about the silk worms --- if you order the bulk you need to clean the containers out daily and feed them daily-- they will spin silk in the containers -- they are a soft worm and they stick to everything --- I would also get some BSFL for him and supplement the silk worms -- feed the 50 BSFL to him and feed only 2 silk worms every couple of days -- use this coupon code for your order FEEDER10 -- you haft to have a insect feeder that is not a option to not have one --
So I’m gonna order the vitamin and the silkworms with food so that I don’t have to have a hassle. How long do the Worms last?? BSFL isn’t an option but if ur so positive about insects then what’s my options??? The quieter the smaller and that require the least care from those descriptions is there any insects? If not then I guess the closest to that??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I’m gonna order the vitamin and the silkworms with food so that I don’t have to have a hassle. How long do the Worms last?? BSFL isn’t an option but if ur so positive about insects then what’s my options??? The quieter the smaller and that require the least care from those descriptions is there any insects? If not then I guess the closest to that??
The quitest are the bsfl the roaches and the silk worms- those worms won't last long only ordering 40 and feeding 9 per week-- that's 3 per feeding 3 x per week= 36 worms for 9 days-- I would consider the roaches they are a lot cheaper and will last longer they are quiet you will need to feed them every 2-3 times per week dubia food and water crystals and the food is cheap and last a while- and you may not even feed them that much- depends on how many roaches are in the tank--- a 10 gallon aquarium will hold 200 of them and if you feed like 10 every 2-3 days -- that will last 3 weeks- feeding treat worms supers from flukers they are really nice worms- order 100 of them that will run about $13.00 but you will need to get bran to feed and you need to feed carrots for hydration for them and need a containers 2 for 100 plastic w/ lids w/ holed- your silk worms containers are good for that or containers from dubia roaches will work - wash them out---

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
The quitest are the bsfl the roaches and the silk worms- those worms won't last long only ordering 40 and feeding 9 per week-- that's 3 per feeding 3 x per week= 36 worms for 9 days-- I would consider the roaches they are a lot cheaper and will last longer they are quiet you will need to feed them every 2-3 times per week dubia food and water crystals and the food is cheap and last a while- and you may not even feed them that much- depends on how many roaches are in the tank--- a 10 gallon aquarium will hold 200 of them and if you feed like 10 every 2-3 days -- that will last 3 weeks- feeding treat worms supers from flukers they are really nice worms- order 100 of them that will run about $13.00 but you will need to get bran to feed and you need to feed carrots for hydration for them and need a containers 2 for 100 plastic w/ lids w/ holed- your silk worms containers are good for that or containers from dubia roaches will work - wash them out---
Wow ok so I will do the roaches I guess can I get a 2.5 gallon tank and hold 50 roaches??? Does that make sense? do I have to do worms and roaches Or can I just do roaches?? Also can I just make the basking lamp higher that way I don’t have to buy a new rock?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow ok so I will do the roaches I guess can I get a 2.5 gallon tank and hold 50 roaches??? Does that make sense? do I have to do worms and roaches Or can I just do roaches?? Also can I just make the basking lamp higher that way I don’t have to buy a new rock?
I would get a 10 gallon aquarium they are cheap look for one on craigslist or FB marketplace- or a garage sale- and get as many as you can your gonna be better off getting quantity - super worms are cheap I would say get them from reptilianarts but they have been out forever- go look at flukers.com https://flukerfarms.com/live-superworms-buy-bulk-super-worms/-- $8.00 for 100 -- it will help w/ the feeding-- you can feed 3 like 3 x per week on top of his salads-

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
I would get a 10 gallon aquarium they are cheap look for one on craigslist or FB marketplace- or a garage sale- and get as many as you can your gonna be better off getting quantity - super worms are cheap I would say get them from reptilianarts but they have been out forever- go look at flukers.com https://flukerfarms.com/live-superworms-buy-bulk-super-worms/-- $8.00 for 100 -- it will help w/ the feeding-- you can feed 3 like 3 x per week on top of his salads-
I don’t have that type of room maybe a 5 gallon tank and did you think making the basking lamp higher was a good idea??

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Roaches are a good staple feeder :) its best if they get fresh veggies too, i feed my roaches roach chow, potatoes, carrots, and romaine lettuce for its moisture.

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Roaches are a good staple feeder :) its best if they get fresh veggies too, i feed my roaches roach chow, potatoes, carrots, and romaine lettuce for its moisture.
Oh awesome! So I can just do roaches as my insect I don’t need any other live food?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh awesome! So I can just do roaches as my insect I don’t need any other live food?
Its best to have a wide variety of insects, if i were u id do atleast two, but roaches are the best for “overallness” itd be okay if ur beardie was just getting roaches, just make shure the roaches are eating very healthy.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I feed discoid roaches (i live in FL and cant get dubias) super worms, like one or two crickets every now and again (because my tokay gecko needs them right now) otherwise I would Not feed my bearded dragon crickets) and hornworms every other month. I wish my beardie would eat bsfl :(

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don’t have that type of room maybe a 5 gallon tank and did you think making the basking lamp higher was a good idea??
Raise the basking light if you can but watch your temp you need his spot to be 95-100-- I am gonna look at your tank again but I recommended the super worms as a treat--- switch your hide to the cool side of the tank and put the lower one where the hide is--- get temp on the top of the lower decor first before moving the lamp

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Its best to have a wide variety of insects, if i were u id do atleast two, but roaches are the best for “overallness” itd be okay if ur beardie was just getting roaches, just make shure the roaches are eating very healthy.
Wow amazing thank you!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Supers are really easy to keep aswell heres a couple pics of my bug bins :) roaches are in a 30gal?? Crickets are in a regular bucket, and the supers are in maybe a gallon tupperwear? (they have 3 inches oat meal, bran, corn meal , as food/substrate)

Attachments

• B592F49E-1A9D-4DB2-B434-23EEA1382E1C.jpeg
    B592F49E-1A9D-4DB2-B434-23EEA1382E1C.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 15013ADE-D965-4E46-81B1-918444C4C8D6.jpeg
    15013ADE-D965-4E46-81B1-918444C4C8D6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 717EBAAA-5B1B-45C2-9C2B-5C3AD34D4850.jpeg
    717EBAAA-5B1B-45C2-9C2B-5C3AD34D4850.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Raise the basking light if you can but watch your temp you need his spot to be 95-100-- I am gonna look at your tank again but I recommended the super worms as a treat--- switch your hide to the cool side of the tank and put the lower one where the hide is--- get temp on the top of the lower decor first before moving the lammp
Raise the basking light if you can but watch your temp you need his spot to be 95-100-- I am gonna look at your tank again but I recommended the super worms as a treat--- switch your hide to the cool side of the tank and put the lower one where the hide is--- get temp on the top of the lower decor first before moving the lamp
Ok but what do you mean my hide is on the cool side and what do you mean by the “lower one”
98FF2EF6-28A7-431C-B97A-84360F31076D.jpeg

Latest posts