• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does my bearded dragon have tail rot?

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
So I’m a little worried that my bearded dragon has tail rot because the end of his tail is slightly black and the tip feels hard as a rock! Is this normal?
8EFF0EBD-AFD1-4E47-8124-E8CD69CDA94F.jpeg

If anyone can help me out I would truly be grateful thank you!!!

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Highly doubt it. Tail rot looks more like these two pictures that sadly happened to my beardies tail. And usually it’ll go red (which means infection) or black and start to shrivel up, become hard and look dead.

Attachments

• B5E12BEC-7CFE-4C37-A83C-5FFDC0A0F7D2.jpeg
    B5E12BEC-7CFE-4C37-A83C-5FFDC0A0F7D2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • CB46E91A-70AD-4CA4-802B-7993B61F50B0.jpeg
    CB46E91A-70AD-4CA4-802B-7993B61F50B0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Highly doubt it. Tail rot looks more like these two pictures that sadly happened to my beardies tail. And usually it’ll go red (which means infection) or black and start to shrivel up, become hard and look dead.
Oh wow sorry to hear!! Thank you for your feedback my main concern was that it was really hard but thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yay! So I got him a month ago so I honestly don’t know does their tail get hard when it sheds?
I have never noticed- they will change colors white real dark opaque looking- what are you using for UVB? Your basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- No coils for UVB's

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
I have never noticed- they will change colors white real dark opaque looking- what are you using for UVB? Your basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- No coils for UVB's
So he usually hangs out about 8 inches away from the lamp and is the temp good?? And what do you mean by digital probe is that what I have?? Or is it like a meat thermometer type of thing?? Here’s a photo of my uvb light but honestly I don’t think I’ve ever seen him on that side of the tank or in the water dish or in the hide or hammock which I took out cus it broke he just sleeps poops and relaxes on the basking rock day and night he will only come down for food

am I doing anything wrong??

thanx again!!
01B17CD6-6F78-46B1-909F-D0A60FD3EE53.jpeg
54C0D4F3-9066-4D0B-9408-F5C6D6702DA6.jpeg
42F1B789-D757-4924-80BE-8544DD5AB194.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So he usually hangs out about 8 inches away from the lamp and is the temp good?? And what do you mean by digital probe is that what I have?? Or is it like a meat thermometer type of thing?? Here’s a photo of my uvb light but honestly I don’t think I’ve ever seen him on that side of the tank or in the water dish or in the hide or hammock which I took out cus it broke he just sleeps poops and relaxes on the basking rock day and night he will only come down for food

am I doing anything wrong??

thanx again!!
View attachment 27122View attachment 27123View attachment 27124
Ok please get rid of the coil ASAP-- they are no good -- you need a long tube fixture like this https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-Terrarium-Inside-ReptiSun/dp/B07HJG7TJ4- this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it it can be used as a back up distance and placement is different from the 10.0-- you need this ASAP-- you also need a digital probe thermometer- the one I see is a stick on only good for ambient temps- the basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank--- please get them ASAP-- temps for a adult dragon should be 95-100 -- when you get the UVB post back on here and I will help you place it--- what size is your tank? A 40 gallon?

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Ok please get rid of the coil ASAP-- they are no good -- you need a long tube fixture like this https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-Terrarium-Inside-ReptiSun/dp/B07HJG7TJ4- this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it it can be used as a back up distance and placement is different from the 10.0-- you need this ASAP-- you also need a digital probe thermometer- the one I see is a stick on only good for ambient temps- the basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank--- please get them ASAP-- temps for a adult dragon should be 95-100 -- when you get the UVB post back on here and I will help you place it--- what size is your tank? A 40 gallon?
Oh wowwww didn’t know this happy I came on here!! I will of course be ordering the new light but the link you sent me doesn’t work can you resend it or just tell me the name of the bulb?? If yes then ur awesome!! Yes it’s a 40 gallon. I’m not sure how to do the distance like ur saying. The current thermostat says 110° is that to hot?? It’s the only lamp I have now what should I do?? Also should I be shutting my current UVB until the new one comes??? Thanx!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wowwww didn’t know this happy I came on here!! I will of course be ordering the new light but the link you sent me doesn’t work can you resend it or just tell me the name of the bulb?? If yes then ur awesome!! Yes it’s a 40 gallon. I’m not sure how to do the distance like ur saying. The current thermostat says 110° is that to hot?? It’s the only lamp I have now what should I do?? Also should I be shutting my current UVB until the new one comes??? Thanx!
Yes shut it off he will be fine till the new one comes try this
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-Terrarium-Inside-ReptiSun/dp/B07HJG7TJ4
I will help you w/ distance when you get it - 110 is too warm for an adult 95-100

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Yes shut it off he will be fine till the new one comes try this
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-Terrarium-Inside-ReptiSun/dp/B07HJG7TJ4
I will help you w/ distance when you get it - 110 is too warm for an adult 95-100
Wowwww thank you!! But The uvb isn’t something I can really afford unless it’s very crucial it’s very expensive I see that I comes with 2 bulbs do they sell one with 1 bulb that is cheaper??? What would happen if I stuck with the uvb I have now??? Is there a cheaper alternative?? If it’s very necessary I will do it
Also is this the thermometer u we’re talking about?
6B4BD13E-A260-4F2D-9A3C-058704D89C73.png

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wowwww thank you!! But The uvb isn’t something I can really afford unless it’s very crucial it’s very expensive I see that I comes with 2 bulbs do they sell one with 1 bulb that is cheaper??? What would happen if I stuck with the uvb I have now??? Is there a cheaper alternative?? If it’s very necessary I will do it
Also is this the thermometer u we’re talking about?
View attachment 27127
Yes-- the coil UVB now will make your dragon deathly sick - I have seen too many dragons w/ this bulb that are very sick or dead! As of now your dragon is getting NO UVB -- he needs proper uvb to stay healthy - you can buy just the fixture and use the 5.0 for now and then get the bulb 10.0 later but I recommend you get this your dragon is getting sick.now w/ no uvb-- eventually he will quit eating as he cannot absorb or synethsize his calcium this is what prevents mbd- he's not sitting under that coil that should tell you something

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Yes-- the coil UVB now will make your dragon deathly sick - I have seen too many dragons w/ this bulb that are very sick or dead! As of now your dragon is getting NO UVB -- he needs proper uvb to stay healthy - you can buy just the fixture and use the 5.0 for now and then get the bulb 10.0 later but I recommend you get this your dragon is getting sick.now w/ no uvb-- eventually he will quit eating as he cannot absorb or synethsize his calcium this is what prevents mbd- he's not sitting under that coil that should tell you something
Wowwwwww omgggggg sooo scaryyy just ordered it you think it damaged him somehow like is he now gonna have medical issues???? Or will he recover??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wowwwwww omgggggg sooo scaryyy just ordered it you think it damaged him somehow like is he now gonna have medical issues???? Or will he recover??
How long has he had this bulb?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since I bought him so exactly 1 month and its gonna be 1 month and a week by the time the light comes
Ok so you will be fine --- its good you caught this now tho ---- when you get the UVB in post back here and I will help you set it up in your tank -- you need to open up more floor space for your dragon please take out that huge water bowl and get a smaller one - I would get one like this for your worms and salad
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
I will post some websites for worms / insects for you later today here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
How old is the dragon?

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so you will be fine --- its good you caught this now tho ---- when you get the UVB in post back here and I will help you set it up in your tank -- you need to open up more floor space for your dragon please take out that huge water bowl and get a smaller one - I would get one like this for your worms and salad
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
I will post some websites for worms / insects for you later today here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
How old is the dragon?
Ok so I prefer to stay with the color theme so I’m gonna find a bowl with the same dimensions that matches the cage. awesome thanx for the nutrition websites! I would love to go over his diet with you if that’s a possibility because I’ve see a million sites and spoke to owners but everyone has such mixed opinions so I sorta figured out my own diet that made the most sense but you seemed to be the most educated person I’ve encountered about this so would love ur opinion!
I will most definitely post back on here when the UVB comes and as for the heat lamp it’s currently making the tank 110° should I distance it?? Or should I leave it? I’m picking up the thermometer today
Yes so He’s 1 and a half years old

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so I prefer to stay with the color theme so I’m gonna find a bowl with the same dimensions that matches the cage. awesome thanx for the nutrition websites! I would love to go over his diet with you if that’s a possibility because I’ve see a million sites and spoke to owners but everyone has such mixed opinions so I sorta figured out my own diet that made the most sense but you seemed to be the most educated person I’ve encountered about this so would love ur opinion!
I will most definitely post back on here when the UVB comes and as for the heat lamp it’s currently making the tank 110° should I distance it?? Or should I leave it? I’m picking up the thermometer today
Yes so He’s 1 and a half years old
Dont do anything w/ the temp as of yet -- get the probe then get the correct temp - take that probe place it on the spot where he sits wait 10 min or so then get it-- if hes not sitting clear up to the top of his platform I am gonna say its too hot -- I would either get a piece of decor that has different places to sit for him that gives a gradient heat of 95-100 - most older dragons do not like real hot temps- you can find some really nice decor pieces at Pet Smart for around $20 or so --- you want to feed him leafy salads every day -- go by the website I sent you -- is he eating salads now? He needs his insects crickets dubia roaches silk worms or BSFL those are really small tho more like a salad topper w/ another staple insect 2-3 times per week -- make sure you are dusting them tho and I would use the calcium D3 as hes not been getting proper UVB -- that new UVB is gonna help absorb the calcium you feed -- alternate the D3 w/ the vitamins w/ beta carotene -- dust the insects not the salads - hes gonna eat them insects so you want to make sure hes getting that -- I would mix the greens like collard / turnips --- turnips / kale etc -- squash is good yellow zucchini etc -- green beans -- red and green pepper on occasion they are watery so they tend to give watery stools -- NO iceberg lettuce --- Romaine is fine --- go by the website -- it will tell what to feed when to feed and what NOT to feed

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Dont do anything w/ the temp as of yet -- get the probe then get the correct temp - take that probe place it on the spot where he sits wait 10 min or so then get it-- if hes not sitting clear up to the top of his platform I am gonna say its too hot -- I would either get a piece of decor that has different places to sit for him that gives a gradient heat of 95-100 - most older dragons do not like real hot temps- you can find some really nice decor pieces at Pet Smart for around $20 or so --- you want to feed him leafy salads every day -- go by the website I sent you -- is he eating salads now? He needs his insects crickets dubia roaches silk worms or BSFL those are really small tho more like a salad topper w/ another staple insect 2-3 times per week -- make sure you are dusting them tho and I would use the calcium D3 as hes not been getting proper UVB -- that new UVB is gonna help absorb the calcium you feed -- alternate the D3 w/ the vitamins w/ beta carotene -- dust the insects not the salads - hes gonna eat them insects so you want to make sure hes getting that -- I would mix the greens like collard / turnips --- turnips / kale etc -- squash is good yellow zucchini etc -- green beans -- red and green pepper on occasion they are watery so they tend to give watery stools -- NO iceberg lettuce --- Romaine is fine --- go by the website -- it will tell what to feed when to feed and what NOT to feed
Ok I will go by the website but what I do exactly is the first month I had him I fed him everyday although he didn’t eat at all for the first week because his lamp was producing 87° and my basking platform was a foot away from the lamp but I knew something was wrong so I quickly educated myself and spoke to a vet and I got a stronger 150 watt light and a much higher platform he almost never hangs out at the top of the basking rockits very tall his head is usually like 6 inches away from the lamp I will attach a picture he sits in the same spot everyday usually random side note if I touch the top of the rock I will burn myself but I assumed that’s something they were made for but after the new light he was nursed back to health within 2 days and started eating I fed him a combination of sweet potato strings zucchini strings a lettuce everyday and every other day he got about 4 super worms and days that I didn’t give him worms I added a bit of calcium powder to his salad after a month I was told to feed every other day so I just started so I feed every other day and and every other day of the other day he gets worms so like for example tomorrow he’s getting salad with worms and Sunday he’s getting plain salad and Tuesday he’s getting salad with worms and so on I will read the website though when I’m back at home and yes I will test the rock with the probe and if necessary for will get a new rock hope not tho but I’ll keep u updated with the temp
9F306190-A76C-4455-A688-A8A173033108.jpeg

Latest posts