• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter has an infection

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You've got your hands full girl, but your doing great!!!
I would have loved to be there in Walgreens when you were asking them that lol OMG Hang in there!!
Finger's crossed that things clear up and no biopsy is needed..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Best thing I ever did though. It is so easy to inject hornworms with the calcium and she LOVES them! She gobbles it up before I can even get the plate in her tank!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Best thing I ever did though. It is so easy to inject hornworms with the calcium and she LOVES them! She gobbles it up before I can even get the plate in her tank!
That's such a brilliant idea to inject the actual worm. Glad to hear she still has her appetite that's always a plus :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have another update on our girl. We took her in on Thursday and she saw one of the other vets in the office. This vet made me feel good because she told me that she has been behind the scenes and when they bring Dexter in the back, she is there also looking at her mouth. She said that all the vets in the office have been following her case, there are 5 of them!

We still don't know what it is. I think it looks worse but she didn't seem to think it was. Biopsy is the LAST option, it's invasive, there is bleeding, there is discomfort in her mouth etc. Right now she is still eating and gaining weight and acting like herself so we don't want to risk losing all of that by doing surgery. The fact is that it is in her mouth, she can't not use her mouth, she has to chew her food so it is a slow healing process. We are back to the antibiotic shots every 3 days for 3 weeks. We are continuing the chlorhexidine washes a few times a day and we added an application of silver sulfadine to the area. If after 3 weeks she hasn't improved or she stops eating or anything else is wrong, she recommended we get a second opinion to see if a biopsy is the best option. The doctor she mentioned to me is a very good doctor, i've been to him before with my frogs. I didn't take Dexter to him first because he's not easy for me to get to since I don't drive.

So I will still keep you guys updated as we go along. So far she LOVES the worms with the calcium in them. The calcium is grape flavored so she waits for me now in the morning to give her the worms! She gets two because I started giving her serappatase, it's a supplement that is supposed to help make her medications work better. It's interesting stuff, it actually occurs naturally in silkworms. She's becoming a little piggy :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I hope Dexter improves with the treatment. I'd hate to see her have to go for a biopsy. At least she's eating and acting normally :) I've got my fingers crossed for you and Dexter, hoping that she recovers without needing the procedure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear that all the vets have been in on Dexter's tx, sucks that you gotta do more shots but if it helps then...It's awesome that she is still eating and doing normal dragon things :) You are doing a great job lady!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She is as sassy as ever! We ended the antibiotics, he tissue seems to be looking better. Still doing calcium and serrapetase and the ointment.

IMG_3567.JPG
IMG_3698.JPG
IMG_3694.JPG

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So glad to hear the treatment is over and all is good for her. Poor baby really went through it.

Love the pictures, especially the one with the frog lol. she's such a little super model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
should've read further - YAY !!! but - prayers anyway :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
prayers for you both

We got our syringes. I finally had some quiet time at work and was able to look through a catalog real good and found them. Now we are stocked for awhile!

Latest posts