• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter has an infection

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I noticed a week or so ago that Dexter had some pink granulation tissue on her front lower jaw. The tissue is pink and she's been eating as much as normal, actually eating more than she normally does. A friend of mine had a dragon with a similar thing that turned out to be a piece of super worm shell stuck in his gum. Dexter's didn't go away and Dolly was starting to look more than just fat to me so I took the girls to the vet yesterday. Dolly is perfectly healthy just needs a diet. Dexter has a bacterial infection in her mouth, that was caught early enough so that hopefully antibiotics will clear it up and it won't lead to mouth rot or the need for a biopsy or anything. So my poor baby girl needs injectable antibiotics every 3 days for the next 3 weeks and I am the lucky person that gets to do them! She also has some pinworms but the vet doesn't feel that they are alarming enough to be treated. They always carry a certain amount in their system so unless she starts acting lethargic and not eating or if she starts having diarrhea then we will treat them.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
PatsyB I am so sorry to hear this about Dexter! But like you said you caught it early enough so fingers crossed and prayers sent your way that the antibiotics will be all she needs. I'm glad you took them to the vet.

Dolly - what can we say! All of us women should be on a diet! Poor girl guess she will have to cut back on the dubia's and eat more greens! Lol

I'm sure the pinworms in Dexter were high because of the infection. She is probably stressed with the infection. If it was me, only because I just went thru an awful ordeal with the pinworms, I would wait till about week 4-5 and have her feces tested again as long as the infection is gone. Those pinworms are nasty and do some real damage. I'm sure Dexter is fine and just a little high with the infection and nothing to worry about.

I just have a question - with antibiotics do you need to put her on a probiotic as well?

Sending Dexter and Dolly love and prayers! Good luck with the injections.

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's what the vet and I were talking about. Her pinworms are probably a bit high because of the stress of the infection in her mouth. I normally give her an probiotic every other day sprinkled on her bugs or salad, so we will just continue that. Since it's an intramuscular antibiotic, it shouldn't affect her tummy. She might get a little sore in her arms and bleed a little at the injection site but that's it.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is it okay to give them a probiotic on a daily basis? I have extra leftover from the pinworm Panacur ordeal. I didn't know if he could have it or if I should throw it away.

I'm so glad you noticed this on Dexter and got her to the vet so quickly. You are such a good beardie mommy!

Bobbi in Cincinnati - with my 13 hermit crabs, 1 bearded dragon - Sir Wallace and 5 rescue cats!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's not going to hurt them. Anything can stress their body out at any given time. I alternate it though because I do use other supplements besides my calcium and my multivitamin. I try not to give them too many things at one time.

Hopefully the antibiotics help. I could have also done a Chlorahexidine bath a few times a day where the water is right up to her lower jaw and the medicine kinda just sits around the area and she maybe drinks it in. I tried one yesterday and realized why the injection was the best way to go....she pooped in it right away LOL! I just hope the medicine works because if it doesn't then we go back and look at other options, like a biopsy :( Which is funny because I work for a dentist and if someone came in with that, we would send them for a biopsy first thing. I would hate for Dexter to have to go through that.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ha ha! She pooped in her medical bath! Sounds like the injections will be better. Typical beardie behavior!

I really am very sorry PatsyB to hear about Dexter. Thank you for sharing her journey with this infection. I am praying for Dexter.

Thank you for the information! I was thinking about giving him the rest of the probiotics just because of what he went thru. So now I can throw it into the rotation. If you were me would you get Wally any other supplements?

Thanks again!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keeping my fingers crossed that the antibiotics clear this up for Dexter and with your determination I believe it will be.. You are a great dragon Mom!!
Dolly Dolly diet time for you my dear lol

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi PatsyB, how is Dexter doing? I've been thinking about her and sending prayers your way.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm sorry to hear this about your girl. Hopefully the medication clears it right up and it's a easy smooth road to recovery for her. Sending thoughts and prayers for your little one! Keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks for thinking of her. She's taking her medicine like a big girl. I haven't really seen the infection clearing up yet but she's only taken 3 doses so far.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I know for us Humans it can take a little while for infections to completely clear up, especially bacterial infections. Toward the end of treatment the antibiotics should be noticeably working their magic. So just give it some time and hopefully they will do their job. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for her in the mean time

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for thinking of her. She's taking her medicine like a big girl. I haven't really seen the infection clearing up yet but she's only taken 3 doses so far.

Awwww I'm sorry to hear that. Has she been a good girl with the injections? I bet she is sore!

Hopefully this will help cuz I would hate for Dexter to have to have the biopsy. How many more doses does she have?

How is Dolly doing with her diet? [emoji4] I'm sure just like any girl, she's not happy! I hate diets!! Lol

Sending Dexter lots of prayers and love!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I keep telling myself to give her time. She's very alert and active and hungry. She actually SAT in her salad a few times so maybe that means she will start eating it again.

Dolly is being stubborn and not wanting her salad. I'm going to be strong and hold out on bugs until she eats it.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I keep telling myself to give her time. She's very alert and active and hungry. She actually SAT in her salad a few times so maybe that means she will start eating it again.

Dolly is being stubborn and not wanting her salad. I'm going to be strong and hold out on bugs until she eats it.

That is SO hard to do! But it's the right thing for Dolly. She will hopefully come around.

It sounds like a typical girl. Who wants to eat salad when they can have fat superworms!! Yum yum!!

Poor Dolly!! Maybe this not eating will shed some pounds!!! [emoji4]

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Okay, I've been trying to upload this to YouTube since last night. Here's Dexter getting her shot.

She took it like a champ!! Poor girl, I was in tears watching her. I applaud you for having the strength to do that.

Thank you so very much for sharing the video.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks. This morning she didn't fight me and it went right in but she looks like she's about to cry. Breaks my heart I have to leave her and go to work.
image.jpeg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awwww poor baby! It's a shame they don't understand it's too help them get better. I just want to pick her up and cuddle with her.

You've got me a mess this morning, tears running down my face! Now I've got to go pick Wally up and squeeze him and say this is for Dexter!!!!

When you get home give Dexter extra kisses and hugs from me! And you can sneak in a superworm from Wally! Lol

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
:( poor baby. Hoping she feels better soon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She takes it like such a brave girl!! She is such a great girl and way to go Mom!!
Oh that face that would get me too lol
Hoping that these shots will clear things up with no other procedures needing to be done.

Latest posts