• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter has an infection

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I hope so. It looked like it might be a little better but not sure if that is true or just wishful thinking.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Momma had a fail today. Couldn't get her to sit still and I got the needle in but she moved as I pushed the plunger and she didn't get any medicine. I'm telling myself that she's already had 5 shots, it's going to be okay that she missed one. I'm just going to give her some extra chlorhexidine treatments until the next shot. I think her mouth is looking a little better today though. I gave her some silk worms in the morning before her shot. They contain something called serrapeptase that is supposed to boost the antibiotics.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
PatsyB don't beat yourself up! You got 5 shots in her!!! 5!! That's massive! I bet this last one was an extra one for us rookies (me) who probably would only get 3 shots in. I think you did an excellent job!! Besides you are giving her silkworms as well.

When does Dexter go back to the vet? Her mouth looks good to me but I didn't see it before with the infection.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She is a BIG beautiful girl! Glad to hear her mouth may be looking a little better. Giving the extra chlorhexidine should help. And yes silkworms have amazing properties in them. On top of what you said they also serve as a natural pain reliever for reptiles and help to clean their teeth.
Anywho, still sending her my thoughts and wishes for a fast recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They told me to bring her back if it doesn't go away so I am going to plan to bring her in next Saturday.

In the meantime, you know what to do as you are already doing a GREAT job!

Will Dolly go back too? Is she doing better with the squash?

As always I'm praying for both Dexter (infection) and Dolly (diet).

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dolly won't go back right now. I think she's just being stubborn and needs some tough love. This morning she was a bit more interested in the salad so we are going in a good direction.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Dolly won't go back right now. I think she's just being stubborn and needs some tough love. This morning she was a bit more interested in the salad so we are going in a good direction.

That's good to hear!! Way to go Dolly!!

I've noticed with Wally when i put the bee pollen on his salad he will eat more of it. My bee pollen is chunky it's not a powder. It looks like crushed up croutons on his salad. Lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your doing a great job Patsy I can't imagine trying to give either of mine shots ... Her mouth is looking better so its working..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We have a recheck on Friday morning. Going to be a busy day, her appointment is at 10am and I have to get her back home and get to my hair appointment at 12. Luckily the vet is about 1/2 hour walk from the house.

Tomorrow is the last shot with me and the vet she is seeing on Friday is the owner of the practice that I think has a little more experience, so we will see what her opinion is.

Dexter had a weird poop today, she is either dehydrated, has too much calcium or she is secretly eating her salad without me knowing. She had a small urate and then a long orange piece before the poop. When Dolly had that, I was told it was too much calcium. Which Dexter has been getting silkworms so it's possible.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We have a recheck on Friday morning. Going to be a busy day, her appointment is at 10am and I have to get her back home and get to my hair appointment at 12. Luckily the vet is about 1/2 hour walk from the house.

Tomorrow is the last shot with me and the vet she is seeing on Friday is the owner of the practice that I think has a little more experience, so we will see what her opinion is.

Dexter had a weird poop today, she is either dehydrated, has too much calcium or she is secretly eating her salad without me knowing. She had a small urate and then a long orange piece before the poop. When Dolly had that, I was told it was too much calcium. Which Dexter has been getting silkworms so it's possible.

I have read that is a sign of too much calcium however with my very small amount of experience I can't really say for sure. If so it should be an easy fix and nothing to be worried about which would be great. I'm hoping all goes well for your girl tomorrow, really keeping her in my thoughts during this time. How is her mouth looking?

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Hi Patsy,

Thank you for the update! Last shot tomorrow and vet Friday! Big week for Dexter!! Will the vet do a fecal Friday too? With the silkworms are you still dusting her feeders too? If so maybe cut that back. I'm sure you know what you are doing and don't need any advice! Lol

Dexter will be fine! Wally and I have been praying every night during cuddle time! He's even been eating a superworm in honor of Dexter! No but seriously I have been praying for Dexter and thinking about her every day.

And thinking about Dolly! How is she doing on her greens or did you finally give in?

I can't wait to hear what you did with your hair on Friday and of course the vet check up!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think it's looking better. Not 100% back to normal but better.

So glad to hear that. If it's looking any better at all that has me thinking this can be cured with the proper treatment. If not I would think the medicine wouldn't have worked even a little

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So glad to hear that. If it's looking any better at all that has me thinking this can be cured with the proper treatment. If not I would think the medicine wouldn't have worked even a little

Thanks, I have hope. She's not acting any different and still wants to eat so that does give me hope that it's going to be cured.

@mxw0rld we are not dusting her feeders unless it's with a probiotic or a multivitamin. Dolly is still Dolly. She is slightly interested in her salad again, she nibbles but that's about it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So we got a cool X-ray but not a diagnosis. The swelling has spread slightly down. They swabbed and did a gram stain but didn't find anything. We are going to do the chlorhexidine treatment for another two weeks and going to re evaluate again and plan for a biopsy if it's still there. She thought maybe cancer but her X-ray is mostly good, there's no lesions and her jaw is really good. She said the X-ray shows some mild cortical bone loss in her right and left numerous so we are doing oral calcium 2 x a day. Here's her X-ray
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So we got a cool X-ray but not a diagnosis. The swelling has spread slightly down. They swabbed and did a gram stain but didn't find anything. We are going to do the chlorhexidine treatment for another two weeks and going to re evaluate again and plan for a biopsy if it's still there. She thought maybe cancer but her X-ray is mostly good, there's no lesions and her jaw is really good. She said the X-ray shows some mild cortical bone loss in her right and left numerous so we are doing oral calcium 2 x a day. Here's her X-ray
View attachment 15339 View attachment 15340

Awwww poor Dexter. PatsyB I'm so sorry Dexter is going thru this. Do you have any idea what caused this in the first place? Can I ask how old Dexter is?

For what its worth - Dexter does look good. This breaks my heart. Sending you and Dexter love and I will keep Dexter in my prayers.

Did you make it in time to get your hair done? I feel stupid asking when Dexter is so poorly.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sending thoughts and good vibes for a full recovery to Dexter

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
LOL! I scheduled Dexter at 10 thinking an hour tops takes 1/2 hour to walk her home I'll make a 12 o'clock hair appointment. We were at the vet till 11:30! I almost took her with me, but as I was leaving a bus came so I hopped on and made it with pleanty of time to get her settled and be on time.

The best part was later in the afternoon, I went to Walgreens to see if I can buy insulin syringes without a prescription. They wanted to know what size I wanted and I had to tell them I needed the smallest size to inject medicine into a worm!!!! They were like "you want to put what in what???" I really need to bring Dexter in with me next time.

I do have good news, I've been putting Dolly's salad on a little plate and she's been eating it! Plus she's been crazy, walking around her tank and moving things around so looks like she is out of her slump. I even took her out of the tank and let her run around on the floor and she actually did for awhile. She hasn't done that in forever!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow! You had a busy day! But you got your hair done. Did boyfriend approve? Lol - he better like it! Thank goodness for buses!! When you take Dexter to vet and on the bus do you have her in an enclosure or do you have her out in the open with leash?

Omg I would have been laughing so hard I would have been crying! Listening to you tell them why you needed the small needles! TOO funny. Thank you for sharing that and making me laugh this morning!

Way to go Dolly!!!!!!!! I'm so happy she's eating her greens now and getting exercise! She's doing more exercise this last week then i have all year!

Latest posts