• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

charlotte

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well the power here is out and now my phone batt is about to die.....ill check back in with you tomorrow. Good.luck

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
power out oh my... good luck to you too. ill keep trying im sure shes just adjusting,think i got home a little homier, ill take those tiles bac later but i think ill keep that bulb for now she does sseem a little happier nice and warmer in the mean time ill keep an eye on that try ffeeding one more time before i go to work and try all over again tomorrow. thanks for yor help thus far,

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i was worried maybe the mealies were why she hasnt ate but she pooped this am so i doubt it. i was mislead i think or i misread a while back thinking supers and meals were the same thing different sizes so the supers would be a good addition for out home with a 6 month veiled and a 4 month beardie, next shipment be awhile i really just reupped unles i get some silks next week if i strike it rich lol.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Always happy to help.
Yup lots of people are mislead into buying mealies and being told they are just "SMALL" supers. They are actually 2 different types/species of worm.

Mealworms
Mealies are - Tenebrio molitor species, they can be refrigerated to make them last longer, hard undigestable chittin shell. Mealworms are the larvae of the meal beetle.

Superworms
Supers are - Zophobas Morio species, they can not be refrigerated, softer digestable shell.
These larger worms are the larvae of the Zophobas morio Ground beetle from central and south America

Silks are awesome feeders, mine loves them, especially the stripey ones. LOL And theyre very healthy to feed.

Its a good sign shes happier now that she is warmer, means youre getting it right for her. How did the last feed attempt go? Any success?

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
nothing yesterday i got her in the tub of food now got my larger crix (1/4) in im sorta think because they were the 1/8 inch to hatch size (was just told small) she had little interest idk. too small? waldo didnt caree but hes a pig shes got 2 butters 3 pheonix and about 20 dusted crix im staying out the room for hopes shes just nervous. i just dont get why she ate the first day and nothing since. worried but thats just parenthood. i have realized for something not eating shes still pooping maybe a little clean out isnt so bad anyways.(good for my cham).

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
getting silikes next week just spent 50 on feeders day before yesterday.
no ones starving till then lol.

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
so she ate 2 crix in her cage (was thinking new rubbermaid may be uncomftorbale, im going to watch her theres 4 in there now so if i see them gone ill drop a couple more realizing again why i hate news paper. as the crickets ran right under it. may get dressed and just go get reptile carpet. still deciding.

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok well slowly shes eating shes gotten like 7 crix now and a giant bite of cut up callards. her personality makes me laugh. i dont think either my cham or charlotte likes the butterworms altho charlotte hassnt tried them. i put worms in the collards figuring in the least theyll be gut loaded before she ever does eat them plus it will keep them moving and make the greens sexy right?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats great shes starting to eat. It definately was the too low temps along with the relo stress. Youll see she will eat more and more over the next week or so as she slowly settles in and becomes more used to her home.

Yeah cricks get in everywhere, real pesky in my opinion LOL.
If the cricks get under the substrate (which may happen with the carpet also if it isnt cut 100% to size), try feeding her in a different tub with NO substrate. Put her in with the feeders and let her be for 10-15 minutes, if she didnt eat right away put bher back in the viv and try again a little later. That way no feeders hiding and less cleanup in her home for you.

Just a side note..........try NOT to swop things in the bin around too much, as they dont like changes and with each change you make the relo stress stars all over. If you want to go for the carpet, do so and then leave her be so she can calm down and adjust. Too much stress disrupts the bacteria in their tummies which can cause the coccidia counts to rise and make then mfeel yukky.

Silks are great feeders, hope she likes them.

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
in her enclosures the only way shell eat. im just going to squish the left over couple in there befor i leave so they arent in there when shes sleeping maybe ill leave it like it is for awile we just are starting t eat dont wanna mess that up. thanks for the advis i was told by the vet waldo has no parasites (thats what the coccidia is right the round looking parasite?) , but iv herd and read all reps have a few, im starting to wander which is right is it just he doesnt have enough for it to be a threat? do i need to worry about waldo being near her? i mean i was between handles and everything i just dont want anyone sick.

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
also i know it early to be thinking about but do felmale beards lay eggs without mating?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
All dragons have cocidia in their systems its normal. The count should just be low. I think thats what the vet meant. Once the levels rise above a certain count then it is harmfull to them, this count is what i was refering to also. It rises slightly and lowers again according to the dragons "mood" and stress levels.
I wouldnt worry about Waldo giving her parasites, but i would be worried that he may try to harm her. As long as they can see and not get to each other it will be fine

Yes females can lay eggs without mating, theyre called infertiles. Not all females do . . . Mine hasnt so far "touch wood" and i hope she never does :eek:
Lots of things influence this, males in the vicinity.....hormones etc. Time will tell

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
oh no theyll never meet i was more worried abot her my beard giving my cham parasites not it physically harming him lol.
what are symptoms to watch for and around when like a year i dont want an eggbound female.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If she does get infertile eggs (Which would only be onces she reaches adulthood) , shell have the following signs and symptoms
Shel pick up a LOT of weight and get a real nice big and fat belly
Near the end of the egg carrying period you should be able to feel bumps in her tummy.....like lotsa marbles in there
Shell try to dig to find a lay spot......some dig at the viv till their nails are wared down totally. Its a constant never ending digging thing they do

Ive noticed from posts over the past few years that the tendency for them to get infertile eggs is more due to people having male dragons nearby. Whether they can "see", "smell" or just "sense" the male nearby gets them to have infetile eggs. This is about 95% of the cases i would say.
The females where there are only other females in the nearby or who are only beardies tend to not have infertiles that much.
Although in both instances, there are exceptions

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
oh great info! yor like my own encyclepedia. heres a little update shes eating pooping and running around like she should. honestly never seen anything poop as often as she does. those rocks would have been near impossible to clean lol.

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
how do your beardie sleep, every night ive checked in on her after work or after lights ot and she sleeping vertically standin up against the wall is it to chilly house is 72. or is that just how she likes to sleep?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh beardies and their sleeping positions. They try to find the utmost "uncomfortable" position possible and sleep that way. (Uncomfortable for us humans LOL guess its way comfy for them)
Mine has slept suspended over a branch just her head and butt touching something with her belly hanging in mid air, slept upright against almost every vertical part of the viv, slept with her butt higher than te rest of her body...............you name it shes tried it
"Its a Beardie thing"

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
she shed today!!! didnt get to see it it was done befre i woke up but sheds mean healthy and growing and i love sheds!!

Latest posts