• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

charlotte

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
hi guys meet charlotte she was born aug. 17 2011 i got her sunday i love her!! my 3rd reptie ever, first didnt do well i didnt know what i was doing took pet shop advise and unfortunatly i killed it. took years off. got a veiled halloween 2011. hes doing awsome i contribute that to the forum i joined there knowledge is the reason my guy lived im convenced pet store workers are idiots. i got charlotte from the breeder i asked questions but imm sure not the right ones. heres a pic i know were a little ghetto right now but im working on it. temps at 89. in basking 75 in ambient, as u see i provided a bug gulp as a cave, big az rubbermaid going to get a uv bulb next week got tiny teency crix on hand and meals also gave her a wax worm or 3 yesterday i know not all the time but as treat... oh she had pheonix worms today and i got butters comming for both my kids was smart enought to buy same sized mouths ... no impactiong worries... sticking with small feeders. eye to eye i know. um i dont like the look of paper towells i read rocks hold heat beter and i think they look good plus dulls nails right?? but cant find anyything saying its a good or bad substrait. my question of course im sure im prolly messing up somewhere so where? and also whats ok i know she licks things alot so i dont want to hurt her of course. what decor should i add i dont have a lid and really would like too keep it that way she can see us and us her like that feels like a bonding thing since shes so alert. im willing to make a taller enclosure but id like to keep the top off i herd they really wont climb out. any ways without furthe adu charlotte:

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
First off, HI and welcome
NOW a few observations / recommendations

hi guys meet charlotte she was born aug. 17 2011 i got her sunday i love her!! my 3rd reptie ever, first didnt do well i didnt know what i was doing took pet shop advise and unfortunatly i killed it. took years off. got a veiled halloween 2011. hes doing awsome i contribute that to the forum i joined there knowledge is the reason my guy lived im convenced pet store workers are idiots. i got charlotte from the breeder i asked questions but imm sure not the right ones. heres a pic i know were a little ghetto right now but im working on it.
temps at 89. in basking 75 in ambient,
The basking temps should be between 105 and 110 till the age of 12 Mnths, and the cool side between 80 and 85, although babies prefer it closer to 85. The temps should be measured with either a digital thermometer with a probe placed directly ON the basking spot or a temp gun. Do not use those stick on ones, they are totally inaccurate and can be off as much as 20 deg to either side

as u see i provided a bug gulp as a cave, big az rubbermaid going to get a uv bulb next week got tiny teency crix on hand and meals also gave her a wax worm or 3 yesterday i know not all the time but as treat... oh she had pheonix worms today and i got butters comming for both my kids was smart enought to buy same sized mouths ... no impactiong worries... sticking with small feeders. eye to eye i know.
All the feeders you listed are fine EXCEPT the mealworms, they hold very little nutrition wise and their chittin shell is basically undigestable to beardies (They are fine to feed to chams though). Remember to feed 3x day. They eat A LOT

um i dont like the look of paper towells i read rocks hold heat beter and i think they look good plus dulls nails right?? but cant find anyything saying its a good or bad substrait.
Good substrates are.........
Paper towels
Newspaper
Tiles
Non adhesive shelf liner
Repti Carpet or also called astro turf
Dont use small rocks, its better to put one big rock for basking and nail trimming on top of one of the substrates i mentioned above
Here is a link to a thread on ALL the substrates, their pros and cons. A good read with lots of info http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/my-experiences-with-different-substrates.90

my question of course im sure im prolly messing up somewhere so where? and also whats ok i know she licks things alot so i dont want to hurt her of course. what decor should i add i dont have a lid and really would like too keep it that way she can see us and us her like that feels like a bonding thing since shes so alert. im willing to make a taller enclosure but id like to keep the top off i herd they really wont climb out. any ways without furthe adu charlotte:
They dont really need a lot of Decor,
a good choice in substrate
UVB and heat lamp
Basking rock and a branch or something to climb
Food dish
Hides are a matter of personal taste and is not needed

As for NOT climbing out.... well thats debatable. Some will, some wont. Some jump and if yours is like mine they are HOUDINI. She has learned how to OPEN her sliding glass doors so now i have to lock them

Tank size for an adult (Which yours will be soon) is a MINIMUM of 40 gallons

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
cau u see it?

Attachments

• charlotte.jpg
    charlotte.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • charlotte.jpg
    charlotte.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
first off thank you for the advise and i will be changing appropriatly. lol what a bummer really i ordered 500 yesterday thinking he could eat them how do ppl give them supers as staple? there only good in moderation for chams too lol oh well guess im giving meals out tomorrow. also i will change it but why are river rocks bad if one big rock is good? i think i knew in the back my head they would be shot down but i figured theyre large enough he cant eat them. i just thought they looked good ill go pick some shelf liner up, ive gotta go pick up some 100 watts today. i used waldos (the chams) digis for accurate temps. going to start the adult enclosure in the next few weeks thought id tile it should i tile the sides to reflect light? one question about that before i start can i use he screen i used for waldo? aluminum screen. i knoticed she scratches the walls and any ive seen at the pet store does too so im thinking thats a habit. one question chams shouldnt be held often so ive learned to enjoy through mostly distant observation for fear of stress now everthin i read seys they like to be held and she doesnt puff or try to run so handeling?? as often as i want or limit it?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Superworms are a totally different type of worm than mealworms. Also supers are usually recommended for adult fragons. Small dagons can eat them as a staple but then you have to get baby superworms so theyre not too big, you can then increase the superworm sizes as the dragon ages. Here we can order supers in a few diff sizes like tiny, small, medium, large and giant

For now the river rocks arent a risk of being eaten as they are too big, however, his foot/leg or tail gould accidentally get stuck between them and he can be injured. Once he is an adult, they could be ingested as he will be bigger. I have seen numerous posts where posters dragons had "accidentally" eaten a pebble/rock like the ones in your pic and it takes surgery to remove if this happens.
Also theyre smooth, thus slippery and unless you can pack them with NO gaps or movement possibilities they could fall or roll onto your dragon as he moves around the tank. The reason 1 BIG rock is fine is due to the size,, immobility and it is usually a rough textured rock for filing the nails. Smooth = no grip

I cant assist you on the screen issue as i have a closed viv with sliding glass doors, hopefully a member with experience here can help you

As far as handling goes, as often and long as you and your beardie are comfortable with. Be mindfull babies are restless and have almost 0 attention span and will want to jump / run / explore. They dont sit still. Once theyre adults though theyre real lazy and melow and prefer doong as little as possible for as long as possible making handling easier.
Just check every so often that they dont get too cold and have 1 hour before a meal to warm up and two hours after the meal to digest. The rest of the time is play time if youre able and willing.
Start off with holding inside the viv till hes used to you, then move to a secure safe space like the bathroom. Most prefer to start inside an ampty tub, letting the beardie run over them BUT no risk of getting away in the slippery tub. Just always supervise their "OUT" time as theyre curious and can get into places real quick. If taking outside a leash is recommended.

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OH yeas sorry...can see the pics now. Guess thats pretty obvious hey

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
so is it bad she doesnt try to run? the guy told me it wa due to being raised near 4 small children and being handeld frequently all there guys were fairly friendly but i chose her because she is so chillax. in her rubber she active, i went news paper and upped a fw more wattage with what i have here going in a little bit to the store i was told she would b e ok from 2 breeders now that shed be ok for a week or so till i could get one work was slow last night. when i do 5.0 or 10.0?

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i did ine the newspaper with the rocks but not closely so no pinch chance but i needed something to keep it flat,

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yup shell be fine without the uvb for a while. When you buy.....the reptisun10.0 linear tube is best. Newspaper is fine for jow. She may seem chilled now but they spontaneously just decide to jump or run.....when you least expect it. Just watch her and give her time to settle in. Shell become more active with time.

While you wait for the uvb you can take her outside for some natural sunlight. There is NO better uv source anywhere. About 30 mins 4 days a week will be fine. 30 mins a day in the sun equals being under the uv lamp for 14 hours a day

how are the temps coming along?

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yup shell be fine without the uvb for a while. When you buy.....the reptisun10.0 linear tube is best. Newspaper is fine for jow. She may seem chilled now but they spontaneously just decide.to jump or run.....when you least expect it. Just watch her and give her time to settle in. Shell become more active with time.

While you wait for the uvb you can take her outside for some natural sunlight. There is NO better uv source anywhere. About 30 mins 4 days a week will be fine. 30 mins a day in the sun equals being under the uv lamp for 14 hours a day

how.are the temps coming along?

just got back from the grocery store got her some collards maybe yummy? if not crix will eat. waiting on the thing to cool t\other bulb wasnt cutting it got a 3 way bulb with 50 100 and 150 gonna try this if 100 dont work ill try 150 just dont want to cook her. i had a question i bought adherable tiles to try on the rubbermaid does that sound dumb i was thinking might hold heat beter then newspaper ill work the nooks and cranniesbt my rubbers flat on the botom....
not going to do it till u reply lol

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
im an idiot i guess those are for a certain base thought it had a switch or it turned or something lol be right back

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well actually im going to tur it on its going at 150 i think js to see how hot it gets im going to watch it to be sure it wont go to high

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Temps are good now 104 is perfect
Dont use those tiles. The adhesive will give off fumes under the constant high temps. Thats why the shelf.liner recommended earlier should also be NON adhesive

charlotte

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
2 threads is to hard to keep up sinc ur the only one replieng ill keep u updated here only im going to try eating again while theat lights still going.

Latest posts