• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Change of name...

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i didnt want to hoover them up...it was a very inpatient hubby ::) :D!! there was 3 and he wasnt in the mood to catch them,and put them in a tub, :eek:

im just really scared at the thought of them jumping at me and me freaking out. i think i need a better feeding system going on, as i just slide open the door and the one corner of the tub and shake some out...then prey and panick and drop the tub :eek:

i think im over worrying about it, making to much of a big deal...i wish they were veggies!!! :D

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i have the dust but havent done it today, i think just dropping them in was to much without dusting them, but i will tomorrow, where do you keep them? we have a shed outside im wondering if i can keep them outside i wont be think they are in my house and worrying...i know i will get used to them...but for now it feels like im fighting a losing battle!! :-\

more wine....

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If you don't want to take out the uneaten crickets, why don't you feed your little guy in a separate place? Like, a big plastic tub or a separate tank. Just a thought. I do that, and at least I don't have to remove the uneaten crickets! It's a lot easier, because the crickets hide in any nooks and crannys it finds, and you may not find it when you remove uneaten crickets!

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
are they ok to be fed somewhere else?? that sounds better, we have a big tub he could go in, will try that tomorrow...

i know we will get used to it but i swear before if we had vidoed it you all would of been laughing!! a big burly fella with a hoover attachment, jumping at every movement at something the size of this tumb nail,,promising me that if i ever do anything like this again its divorce!! and me shouting at him to hurry up coz i wanted to put eddie to sleep.... :D :D :D

the joys of a sat night....

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
can you stop feeding the crickets when they get to a certain age??

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL...sorry to laugh but this just sounds so funny. I really wish I could have seen it.

You can keep them in the shed until it gets too cold then they will need some sort of heat source. I forgot about feeding them in a separate tank...good suggestion!!!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just realize that sometimes they won't eat any place other than their home. You can try it.

There are other things you can feed. Many use roaches. Honestly, I think it is disgusting (JMO). Crix were bad enough, the though of roaches in my house...no way!

Silkworms are an option too. Although they can be expensive and have been known to carry viruses occasionally.

I really believe after a while you become accustomed to the crix. When I first started I skeeved at the though of the crix. After a month or so...no problem, I could actually pick them up with my hand.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I pick them up with my fingers too!! Right now I am at the point in my bin where I am fairly low so have to try to lean the bin to the side and hope I can get enough to slide into my container and when it gets even lower than that I scoop them with my hand. :p Not my favorite thing to do!!! But I can and will always do what I have to do in every instance!! I have a large container of hand sanitizer on top of one of the enclosures that I use several times a day. I keep my guys upstairs where there is no running water so I use that to kill anything that might be on my hands until i make it to the sink to wash my hands!!

I have 2 dust busters by Yo's enclosures that I used for just those instances. I'd suck up the crickets and then dump them back into their bin!!! Worked like a charm and didn't hurt them at all!! None of my beardies will eat crickets now and that is just fine with me!!! They carry parasites and I had to treat my Beardies in the past. While I am on that subject get some of that Parazap Li is always reccommending!!! I used it and all 3 of mine were parasite free for the first time!!!

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I never got over the YUCK factor with crickets. Raised my dragons on other feeders. Got to the point where Phil was getting upset because he would find a cricket on the wall somewhere. It was getting embarassing to have company over and spot a stupid cricket somewhere on our walls. ::) I fed hornworms, silkies and dubia roaches which do not climb when they were younger.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks for suggestions...iv just bagged an put some dust on some in the garden, felt abit better coz im just paraniod at one in the house...we dont have any big critter things here flying about...anything bigger than a wasp and we are all up in panick :eek: :eek: :eek:

im petrified of roaches, i dont think i could deal with those.... :-X :-X

i was really thinking i had taken on to much last night :-[, but now i think we just need to be better organised....and once oh gets brave he might even feed him :eek:

the things you do for your kids ::) :D

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
iv just noticed the uvb light is a repti-glo 5.0, so will see about getting a repti-sun light...

hes eating his crickets now... ;D one is like a catapiller worm its come out of the box coz its dusted, is that a baby cricket??

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Jags,

I dont feed mine in her viv either, as there are too many hiding places... I shake off some of the feeder crics into a 5lt icecream tub and then throw a bunch into an empty Mayonaise Jar. I then add the calcium and shake the jar... Hold the jar in the viv at an angle so she can see the crics inside... she will then climb into the jar . . . pig out and if she doesnt finish them off she will then climb out. No mess, no touching, no fuss. LOL

I then chuck the remainder back in the cricket bin, calcium dust and all. They live to see another day . . . He he

It has gotten to the point when I approach the viv with the jar, she goes NUTS, Food is coming...... Yeah

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well i have been brave and got out some of the few remaining ones, boxed them up dust and all!!,

i feel bad coz we have moved the tank to the other side of the room, not to far away just off my kitchen table,im hoping that will be his final place and will stay there. im also putting some tiles i found in the shed, i washed and baked in the oven for half hour (i hope that right?), so i feel like im messing him about today...hes ok though just looking as if to say 'what now'!!!....i think im just gonna finish off his tank and put him back in and leave him for the rest of the day...

he didnt eat all his crickets this am...shall i try again later or has he had his fill?? he doesnt seem to eat any greens or fruit, and he hasnt pooed yet but we are just on day 3 so i dont think im to concerned?, he had a bath yesterday..

im feeling a little bit more confident,and hope i keep building it up,coz this morn i was a mess and worried i couldnt do it.... :-[

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can try again later today.

Has he pooped yet since you have gotten him?

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
no i dont think so...not that i have seen anything, we have just put tiles in (will put pics up) coz we have wood chippings, just wondering if he could of in the chippings and i didnt see in the hoover up today??

or would i know when he does???

hes not eaten any greens at all, drank some water off my finger,and ate crickets but no greens....

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hes not eaten any greens at all, drank some water off my finger,and ate crickets but no greens....

Wouldnt worry too much about it yet, just keep offering them. Pogie never had any given to her before I got her at 5 months, so it took about 2 weeks for her to warm up to them.

She used to just stare at it like "WTF" for the first 2 weeks, then shed take a bite here and there. And now shes almost at the point where she finishes it all.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would not worry about the veggies yet. Slyder did not eat any veggies for a couple of months. Try mixing in red foods or kiwi. Just keep offering them.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try mixing in red foods

Staylor, I tried the red bell pepper. Pogie hates it (I think)... Eats all around it, and when she cant reach anything else anymore, she goes and lies on top of her salad bowl (Something shes never done before LOL)

Latest posts