• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Change of name...

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
T Rex is now (and no more changing) Eddie Lizzard, he suits Eddie and its staying :D

also do you ever get use to feeding the crickets?? i just opened the tub and loads fell out in a panic i just shut the door, and eddie has has a nice big dinner!!! :-[

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Crickets are gross that's for sure!!! They remind me of roaches and in the numbers that we have to buy them in it's just disgusting!! But we do what we do for our beloved Beardies. : )

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
A trick to feeding crix. I kept mine in an old 20 gallon tank with a mesh lid on it. You can keep them in a rubbermaid container or some kind of rubber container. Depending on how many you buy at a time will depend on the size. I always bought my crix weekly at a local store so I would get 500 at a time give or take. In the container I kept a few empty paper towel rolls. They tend to climb into them. I would then use a baggie and dump the crix from the paper towel roll into the baggie. This was easy because I was then able to sprinkle my calcium dust and/or vitamin dust (if you aren't using this stuff post and let me know so I can tell you what you need). Once dusted you can then dump a few crix in to the tank at a time. Do this for 10 minutes and let him eat as many as he can. This way you aren't having to go into the tank and pull out a lot of crix if he doesn't finish them all.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I agree with li. I always keep the bag the crickets came in to shake and bake them. I usually just grab an egg carton from the cricket tote, stick it in the bag, shake off a bunch of crickets into the bag, dust em and dump em. little to no actual cricket handling required.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Vesta said:
Crickets are gross that's for sure!!! They remind me of roaches and in the numbers that we have to buy them in it's just disgusting!! But we do what we do for our beloved Beardies. : )

I think they are like roaches too. I call them hopping roaches.

I buy 1,000 3/8 crickets at a time from an online store every 10 days or so. I have them in an 18 gallon plastic bin with a hole cut out of the top and a piece of screen taped on. I put 4 big cardboard egg crates in there and as the numbers decrease I take out 1 or 2 of the egg crates. I also have 2 toilet paper rolls in there and one end is pinched closed and folded shut.

When I feed first I put an old washed out pickle jar on the bottom of the cricket bin, then take the toilet paper rolls and shake the crickets into jar. If I need more I shake off the egg crates and they run to the corners where I scoop up some more in the TP roll and shake them into the jar as well. Repeat if needed. Once I have about 60 in there I sprinkle a little powder on them, put the lid on and shake them up. I drop in a few them...10 to 20 at a time, he eats them, drop in more and so on until he jumps back on the stick. Sometime I have to get more out of the bin and repeat the scoop, sprinkle, shake, feed process.

Hope this helps and if you want step by step pics let me know I will post them for you. It takes getting used to but you will get it.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks guys...did anyone get jumpy and itchy the 1st time you brought them in??

iv just got 4 tubs of them at the min..well 3 and one locust but the locust look alot bigger, :-\

iv just gave him a bath and im putting newspaper down for now, im hoping to put tiles in tomorrow..what did ppl use to fix them down? or did you just place them?

jeeez i dont think i could do roaches they are worst crawly thing eeeekkkkk

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am feeding just one baby off the 1000. Some die, but not many, he ate about 60-120 a day.

t rex said:
thanks guys...did anyone get jumpy and itchy the 1st time you brought them in??

jeeez i dont think i could do roaches they are worst crawly thing eeeekkkkk

I got jumpy and itchy when the bin flipped in the bathroom and they were EVERYWHERE. I was even picking them off the ceiling, but other then that no. I hate when the adult crix climb on my hands but the little ones don't bother me at all. I am having a hard time with roaches too. I got brave one day and ordered some only to find out they are not allowed in the state I live and I sighed a big sigh of relief.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't fix them down. Put them in so that they are snug, but you are able to get them out. I always kept an extra 2 pieces so that if I broke one I would panick. I had a 48" tank. I actually used 3 12" tiles from the cool side over then right under the hot area where I had his hide I used a piece of reptile carpet for comfort purposes.
Spyronewtanktile.jpg

Tileandcarpet.jpg

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
eeekkk, you not making it sound easier!!!! :D :D i think i would die if any got out!!!, hubby said he would feed him...until he saw what they were like!! mind you alot of ppl wouldnt feed raw meat to a dog and green tripe is the food of the devil!! :-X :-X :-X *heaves*

how many should i be feeding him, maybe i havent been giving him enough....today hes had about 20...i think hes about 5/6 mths,

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
arrhh that looks fab, will get oh to get in the shed tomorrow as we have some textured ones in there, we saw some good background piccys that i want for in there,but i already was spending a fortune!!!!.... :D will go back next week... ;D

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First t-rex, what is your real name if you don't mind me asking.

You should be feeding him 2 (3 if you can fit it in)x a day. Each time you feed him it should be for 10 minutes. Let him eat as many as he can in that time. Once 10 minutes is up, take out any remaining crix. This can be as many as 25-100 a day. That just depends on the beardie. Remember to dust one feeding a dust with a calcium dust and one feeding a week with a multi vitamin.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
iv put somewhere that i think hes 15/16 inches....that must be a mans inch sorry i think hes about 10inches!!

im known as jags on the forums but reece wanted t rex as the user name ::), so jags is great for me (short for jackie)well its not but thats what i get called lol)

whats the latest i should feed him?? iv fed him twice today so will do again now...

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Jags! Better than t-rex, lol!

You don't have to feed 3x a day if you can't fit it in. If you can 2 hours after lights come on, then again around 1-2 pm, then again around early evening. Never feed after the 2 hour limit. So if his lights go out at 9pm, then you should never feed after 7pm. Personally I always like to give a good 3 hours, but that was just my choice and it worked. Don't worry too much about the 3rd feeding if you can't fit it in. If you can only fit 2 then I would do it mid morning and late afternoon.

You also don't want to soak them too much before lights out. I always have a few hours for that too, so that Spyro was nice and dried off before lights out.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
put a few in....im hoping he eats them as i really dont want to fish em out aarrrggghhh..

right i will not feed or bath him to late..we arent in to much of a routine yet, so i need to get a time sorted and a timer and then he knows where he stands,

god i get so itchy and fidgety when i see them,i hope i can get over the heeby jeebys soon...

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No you can not leave them...they will bit the dragon and can hurt it. They also stress the dragon.

My baby only ate about 20 a day and then one day he just started eating and eating and now 60-100 is the norm. You will see the more comfortable the berdie gets the more it will eat. To get any left I would put a TP tube over it and it would climb in. Now that I am more comfortable with them I just pick them up with my hand. I scoop them up or just lightly pinch them between my thumb and index finger. For you I would recommend chasing them into a tube of some sort. It takes longer then picking them up with your hand but it works and you never have to touch them. You can't hardly feel the little crix on your hand, its not that bad.

The more you are around them the better it will be, it will just be apart of the daily routine.

t rex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
errr we hoovered them up :-\ :-\

please tell me some of you were thinking what the hell have i done at first?? i know it will get better i just gotta get used to having critters in my house and not freaking everytime i see one!!

im pouring a wine as we speak :D :D :D

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
LOL...you will figure it out. I found that as the 10 minutes started to come up to the end, instead of throwing in lots of crix, I would let one or two drop into the tank. This way hopefully you won't have any left. As for vacuuming them up...you will find that crix are like gold and you don't want to waste any. I bet in a couple of weeks, you'll be putting your hand in and grabbing out the extras.

BTW, are you dusting them with calcium dust and vitamin dust?

Latest posts