• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Catching a fugitive?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm afraid not yet but there's still two more glimmers of hope. For one thing I'm going to ask someone to lend me their muscle and help me move out some of the larger pieces of furniture because the only explanation I can think of at this point is she somehow wedged herself under or behind one of them in such a way out of reach of my flashlight beam. Other than that I've been doing some ongoing cleaning up her anyway so the best thing to hope for is that in doing so I'll find her or at least some sign of her.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you find her soon..I'd be going crazy not knowing where she is. What is your household temp at? I ask because if it's cool she is more likely to stay put and sleep.. if it's warmer she may come out and wonder around more..just a thought. I hope you can get the help you need to move things around just be careful moving things so not to hurt her in the process.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Keeping my fingers crossed that you find her soon..I'd be going crazy not knowing where she is. What is your household temp at? I ask because if it's cool she is more likely to stay put and sleep.. if it's warmer she may come out and wonder around more..just a thought. I hope you can get the help you need to move things around just be careful moving things so not to hurt her in the process.

Thanks Hdrydr31! For sure we'll try to move things very gently. I wouldn't exactly call it cold but my family is nuts and keeps the house in the low 60s during the night and I need to keep the space heater on the lowest setting to keep from blowing a fuse so there's a good chance she's definitely been held up in a brumation state somewhere for the past 11 days or so.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Hdrydr31! For sure we'll try to move things very gently. I wouldn't exactly call it cold but my family is nuts and keeps the house in the low 60s during the night and I need to keep the space heater on the lowest setting to keep from blowing a fuse so there's a good chance she's definitely been held up in a brumation state somewhere for the past 11 days or so.
That'd explain you not seeing her. And with that in mind the couches and furniture moving could harm her without her knowing, that'd drive me crazy. I wish you luck and that you find her unharmed

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

oh yea if it's chilly like that she is likely snoozing so be super gentle/slow while moving things keeping in mind her tail and long toes could easily get pinched/kinked/smashed...

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That'd explain you not seeing her. And with that in mind the couches and furniture moving could harm her without her knowing, that'd drive me crazy. I wish you luck and that you find her unharmed

Thanks my friend! I'll be super careful! In fact I'm going to slowly run a long piece of wood I have up here under the furniture to see if I can't wake her up and flush her out before I move anything.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
oh yea if it's chilly like that she is likely snoozing so be super gentle/slow while moving things keeping in mind her tail and long toes could easily get pinched/kinked/smashed...

For sure! I'm only going to move them up to a foot maximum to look behind them. We don't want even want there to be a chance of hurting her! Actually my hopes have been raised a little bit because of a miracle that happened a little while ago. I didn't want to mention it earlier because I didn't want anyone to think I'm a careless keeper but this was an accident that happened when we went up North for Thanksgiving and I had my cousin watch the animals. I don't blame her for what happened since snakes are master escape artists anyway but my garter snake somehow got out and I looked tirelessly. I had given up hope. I thought he must have gone through the heating vent and into the basement where it gets freezing cold and I would never find him. That's probably why I've been so relaxed with the bearded dragon getting out because I already had my anxiety attack with the snake lol. Well about a half hour ago our family pug seemed really interested in a bit of rope hanging out from under the kitchen stove and then it moved and I recognized the markings and I realized it wasn't rope at all. That's when he came slithering out and I safely secured him. God protected him. Since garter snakes are native to pretty much all of North America and he was able to survive without food and water for almost two months then now this gives me so much hope that my extreme desert dwelling bearded dragon is also alive and well somewhere :)

baldegale14

Juvenile Dragon
future idea:
a38ff45c687f45fcce72e95aa2ac74ea.jpg
LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Any update on the fugitive?

I have one more place to check upstairs and I'm keeping it very warm up here to possibly draw her out. If she's not there the only explanation I have is that she somehow got downstairs by some inexplicable reason and I'll have to focus my next efforts down there.

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon
I have one more place to check upstairs and I'm keeping it very warm up here to possibly draw her out. If she's not there the only explanation I have is that she somehow got downstairs by some inexplicable reason and I'll have to focus my next efforts down there.

Best of luck and praying you find her kn good heath [emoji8]

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Any news?

I'm afraid not sadly. As there has been absolutely no sign of her whatsoever and they aren't exactly the stealthiest animals when they move around I'm very sad to say that I have reason to believe that despite doing everything I could that she has likely passed away. Probably because because of the cooler house temperatures my family keeps it at combined with the outside winter temperatures. However if that's the case I'm content that at least she didn't have to suffer starvation and if I find her bones one day I can bury her. As sappy as it may sound I've been seeing her and putting her back a lot in my dreams at night so as a Christian I believe all animals have souls and personalities I feel like she's forgiven me for losing track of her and is at peace now. Regardless I'll see her again someday. I can say though I had a heck of a time taking care of her and gained a lot of experience and knowledge from it. This doesn't dampen my enthusiasm and passion for terrariums in the slightest. She did make it to adulthood and I got to see her grow from a juvenile and though she didn't live quite as long as I would have preferred she did have a very good life and will always be among my reptiles thad stands out the most. If I don't see her by mid March I'm going to go out and get another bearded dragon or even some other type of reptile to live in her old tank and if she showed up after that I would go out and buy her a new tank immediately. Then I'd have either two bearded dragons or a bearded dragon and something else. It would be a win win. I definitely have met so many fantastic friends on this forum and I want to thank all of you for all of your help, support and shared interests these past two years or so. I'm going to stick around and maybe now that I'm no longer new to bearded dragons I can help other people with their questions and concerns.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Sorry, I meant to edit that post but I think I hit reply instead and made two of them. Doesn't look like I can delete it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry, I meant to edit that post but I think I hit reply instead and made two of them. Doesn't look like I can delete it.

I deleted it. Sucks that you didn't find her but you have a good outlook on the whole thing. We never forget the first one because we've learned so much from them. More than just the daily care. Fingers crossed that she's just in brumation somewhere and she will show up.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I deleted it. Sucks that you didn't find her but you have a good outlook on the whole thing. We never forget the first one because we've learned so much from them. More than just the daily care. Fingers crossed that she's just in brumation somewhere and she will show up.

Thanks Patsyb! That's certainly the best thing we can hope for and it will be fantastic if one of these days I can create another post with news that I found her. I wouldn't mind at all having two beardies if she decided to show herself once I got another. Maybe this time I'll get a hatchling or better yet rescue one. Pretty often I'll see one up for adoption online within driving distance.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure I'd be calm like you, I would totally tear my house apart to find any of my 3 until I found them, it wouldnt be pretty but they would have to be here somewhere, and I wouldnt give up until I found them one way or the other. It would drive me insane with worry.
I don't mean to sound mean, and I've debated saying anything..But maybe I can use this as a teaching lesson for new comers to beardies.
She has to be there somewhere, not like she can open doors. It is very possible she is held up somewhere sleeping and will come out of hiding..However if she got herself stuck...she would pass slowly. If she wasn't strong enough health wise to brumate it's possible she passed in her sleep.
It is what it is and at least it's a learning lesson for future pets. They will get out, they will explore all areas within their reach, they will lick everything and with a sticky tongue loose items will be ingested whether it's safe or not. They will find the oddest places to sleep. It is our responsibility to do our best to keep them safe.
I keep hope that she will come out just fine, I hope that you continue to search for her as she may be too weak to come fully out into the open.
Again I'm sorry if I came across mean but I really felt it needed to be said so maybe others will learn what can happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk