• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Catching a fugitive?

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, my cousins and I were playing with Odahviing, my bearded dragon and it seems she gave us the slip. I like to let her run around the room because I feel like keeping her in her tank all the time is the equivalent of keeping a dog kenneled all the time. She's usually very trustworthy. She goes under furniture of course but she'll eventually come out. Once she even fell asleep next to the bookcase. I know she's around the general area and since exits were blocked off she couldn't have gotten far at all but I'm still amazed how well she can hide even at over 15 inches or more. Must be her camouflage combined with her mellow personality and stubborn nature. She's probably hiding somewhere we already looked. I'm not that worried about her, she can take care of herself and if any animal I have is going to just come out of hiding and turn up it will be her. 99.99999999% I'm going to find her quickly but does anyone have any ideas to lure her out to save the trouble of turning the room upside down again? She can be a picky eater and it's almost impossible to get her to take veggies in the winter and I obviously can't let crickets or roaches loose in the room. Is there some kind of simple trap I could make? I turned the heat up in hopes of her settling down by the vent since it makes sense she'll go where it's warm, especially this time of year. Again, in all likelihood she's in the exact same room.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Can you create a basking spot somewhere? Set up a spot light so she can come out and bask? Just be hyper aware that she is somewhere and walk very carefully in the room so you don't step on her. She probably hunkered down somewhere for the night.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Can you create a basking spot somewhere? Set up a spot light so she can come out and bask? Just be hyper aware that she is somewhere and walk very carefully in the room so you don't step on her. She probably hunkered down somewhere for the night.

I'm definitely thinking heat is the right course of action. I know that being desert creatures, they can go weeks or even months without food or water so I'm not too worried about that. It's temperature that concerns me. I turned the heat up considerably because I think if it's warm she'll move around and sooner or later she's going to get bored and want to do something other than hide.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would set up a warming area like Patsy said and she should come out tomorrow..

True! I expect to see her within a few days. I already put out some of her furniture so tomorrow I'm going to try and find a way to suspend and rrig up her heat lamp in a way that isn't a fire hazard and being diurnal she might be drawn to the warm light during the night when it's otherwise dark.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Well, my cousins and I were playing with Odahviing, my bearded dragon and it seems she gave us the slip. I like to let her run around the room because I feel like keeping her in her tank all the time is the equivalent of keeping a dog kenneled all the time. She's usually very trustworthy. She goes under furniture of course but she'll eventually come out. Once she even fell asleep next to the bookcase. I know she's around the general area and since exits were blocked off she couldn't have gotten far at all but I'm still amazed how well she can hide even at over 15 inches or more. Must be her camouflage combined with her mellow personality and stubborn nature. She's probably hiding somewhere we already looked. I'm not that worried about her, she can take care of herself and if any animal I have is going to just come out of hiding and turn up it will be her. 99.99999999% I'm going to find her quickly but does anyone have any ideas to lure her out to save the trouble of turning the room upside down again? She can be a picky eater and it's almost impossible to get her to take veggies in the winter and I obviously can't let crickets or roaches loose in the room. Is there some kind of simple trap I could make? I turned the heat up in hopes of her settling down by the vent since it makes sense she'll go where it's warm, especially this time of year. Again, in all likelihood she's in the exact same room.
Idk if anyone has understood where the name origins from lol but I have to comment a fellow Skyrim player on using such a cool name [emoji1605][emoji23]

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Idk if anyone has understood where the name origins from lol but I have to comment a fellow Skyrim player on using such a cool name [emoji1605][emoji23]

Lol thanks! Skyrim will always be my favorite adventure game! It was a little awkward when I found out my Odahviing was a female but somehow it still fits!

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Any updates on the fugitive?? lol

Unfortunately not yet but at least I'm 99.9% sure she's in the same two rooms since all the exits were blocked. I have to clean out my closet anyway so even though I don't know how she could have gotten in there it's worth looking for sure. Thankfully they can go a long time without eating or drinking. She is stubborn so she's probably held up somewhere obvious and hasn't come out yet.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Unfortunately not yet but at least I'm 99.9% sure she's in the same two rooms since all the exits were blocked. I have to clean out my closet anyway so even though I don't know how she could have gotten in there it's worth looking for sure. Thankfully they can go a long time without eating or drinking. She is stubborn so she's probably held up somewhere obvious and hasn't come out yet.
One of these days you'll wake up and she'll be in her cage [emoji23]

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
That's actually a good idea! I could her tank the floor and leave it open with food and light! It worked for a hamster I had once.
There ya go!! Maybe it could lead into that being her housing for night and on the day she could explore the rooms. It sounds cool, and that it might work. They're quite intelectual animals [emoji3]

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Dude i hope you find your dragon soon and i'll say this...if that happened to me i would be like the dad in Honey I Shrunk the Kids.
I was vacuuming out Sugar's cage tonight and she was on my shoulder. I was almost done and realized she wasn't on my shoulder anymore. I started looking on the floor, then i stood up and froze...oh ****...how did this happen...couldn't feel her on my back with my hands...then i felt the back of my neck and she had crawled under my collar.
If she had jumped on the ground i can guarantee you it would have been a search party with spotlights until she was found. lol i applaud your chill though i guess...you got the good dab brother

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Dude i hope you find your dragon soon and i'll say this...if that happened to me i would be like the dad in Honey I Shrunk the Kids.
I was vacuuming out Sugar's cage tonight and she was on my shoulder. I was almost done and realized she wasn't on my shoulder anymore. I started looking on the floor, then i stood up and froze...oh ****...how did this happen...couldn't feel her on my back with my hands...then i felt the back of my neck and she had crawled under my collar.
If she had jumped on the ground i can guarantee you it would have been a search party with spotlights until she was found. lol i applaud your chill though i guess...you got the good dab brother
My thoughts exactly [emoji23]

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Thanks so much! I'm definitely extremely sad about it and I wish she'd just be chilling in the middle of the room one of these days but I have learned a valuable lesson from this and that is to tie a really long string to any animal I let out to exercise lol. I really have no choice though I suppose than to have faith, pray she shows up just accept it. I need to let nature take it's course. I'm so glad you found yours though! Must have been a huge relief! Otherwise we'd be in the same boat right now lol.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks so much! I'm definitely extremely sad about it and I wish she'd just be chilling in the middle of the room one of these days but I have learned a valuable lesson from this and that is to tie a really long string to any animal I let out to exercise lol. I really have no choice though I suppose than to have faith, pray she shows up just accept it. I need to let nature take it's course. I'm so glad you found yours though! Must have been a huge relief! Otherwise we'd be in the same boat right now lol.
Any news on the fugitive?

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Any news on the fugitive?

I'm afraid not yet but there's still two more glimmers of hope. For one thing I'm going to ask someone to lend me their muscle and help me move out some of the larger pieces of furniture because the only explanation I can think of at this point is she somehow wedged herself under or behind one of them in such a way out of reach of my flashlight beam. Other than that I've been doing some ongoing cleaning up her anyway so the best thing to hope for is that in doing so I'll find her or at least some sign of her.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
I'm afraid not yet but there's still two more glimmers of hope. For one thing I'm going to ask someone to lend me their muscle and help me move out some of the larger pieces of furniture because the only explanation I can think of at this point is she somehow wedged herself under or behind one of them in such a way out of reach of my flashlight beam. Other than that I've been doing some ongoing cleaning up her anyway so the best thing to hope for is that in doing so I'll find her or at least some sign of her.
I wish you luck