• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not eating

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Either raise the fake plants or take them out-- try offering / hand feeding the silk worms and super worms to him and see if he will take them from you -- then w/ the fresh greens- did the blood work come back ? Are you keeping track of his weight?
I’ll remove the greenery. He has never done that.. it surprised me. Yes, I offer silks and supers, crickets and mealworms by hand daily.. not interested. After I offer them I’ll put them on top of his salad. I just spread some of his salad around the places he likes to sit hoping it may spark his interest. No, blood work was sent off to Texas A&M to read so it should be back this coming week. Tracey told me to add some chicken or turkey organic baby food to the sweet potato and pumpkin. So, yesterday I went and bought organic chicken, turkey, sweet potato, green pea, and pear baby food. She said to add the probiotic to that and feed him. He really seems to like that. I do not have to force that at all. Yesterday he ate a bit more than a teaspoon over 3 feedings. Tomorrow will be his last dose of the Baytril. I’m sure she will want another X-ray.. at least I hope so. Tracey had mentioned nebulizing him. I haven’t done that yet as it’s the weekend and I suppose I’d need the vet to fix any meds for the machine. I will call the vet tomorrow about it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’ll remove the greenery. He has never done that.. it surprised me. Yes, I offer silks and supers, crickets and mealworms by hand daily.. not interested. After I offer them I’ll put them on top of his salad. I just spread some of his salad around the places he likes to sit hoping it may spark his interest. No, blood work was sent off to Texas A&M to read so it should be back this coming week. Tracey told me to add some chicken or turkey organic baby food to the sweet potato and pumpkin. So, yesterday I went and bought organic chicken, turkey, sweet potato, green pea, and pear baby food. She said to add the probiotic to that and feed him. He really seems to like that. I do not have to force that at all. Yesterday he ate a bit more than a teaspoon over 3 feedings. Tomorrow will be his last dose of the Baytril. I’m sure she will want another X-ray.. at least I hope so. Tracey had mentioned nebulizing him. I haven’t done that yet as it’s the weekend and I suppose I’d need the vet to fix any meds for the machine. I will call the vet tomorrow about it.
Ok sounds like you got a plan going and its working--- sounds like the Baytril has thrown his appetite off as well ---

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok sounds like you got a plan going and its working--- sounds like the Baytril has thrown his appetite off as well ---
Charlie’s blood work results came back and it showed that all organs looked good. Everything was in normal range. But it showed he still had infection. Of course, that was before this second round of Baytril. The vet says she wants to do another round of Baytril starting next week. And after that round we’ll do another X-ray. He is still not eating on his own. V

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Charlie’s blood work results came back and it showed that all organs looked good. Everything was in normal range. But it showed he still had infection. Of course, that was before this second round of Baytril. The vet says she wants to do another round of Baytril starting next week. And after that round we’ll do another X-ray. He is still not eating on his own. Vet says to continue with the baby food syringe feeding until after this next round of antibiotics and if all looks good to stop as he may be getting spoiled to the baby food. He is losing weight … he’s down to 530 grams. This is so worrisome. I’m taking him outside every other day for about 20-30 minutes. Our temps are high and humidity is low right now. He really seems to like that. I’ve been letting him free roam in his room a bit daily and he has pooped more than he ever has… I mean 2 times in a week. That’s not his normal thing. And it looks normal. 3 parasite tests in 2 months and all negative.I’m putting probiotics in his syringe feeding too. I’m soaking him on the days he does not go outside. Is there anymore I can do to help my guy? Or is there something I need to do different?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Charlie’s blood work results came back and it showed that all organs looked good. Everything was in normal range. But it showed he still had infection. Of course, that was before this second round of Baytril. The vet says she wants to do another round of Baytril starting next week. And after that round we’ll do another X-ray. He is still not eating on his own. V
Ok keep him hydrated -

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok keep him hydrated -
I’m questioning the temps at night while Charlie is still on antibiotics for his pneumonia. It’s cooler at night here now… of course my house is comfortable. In the summer his temps get to around 75-78. But with cooler weather last night it got to 69-70. I know night temps need to drop but not below 65. But with him still having this infection what is the best temp at night for him. I do have a CHE if need be

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m questioning the temps at night while Charlie is still on antibiotics for his pneumonia. It’s cooler at night here now… of course my house is comfortable. In the summer his temps get to around 75-78. But with cooler weather last night it got to 69-70. I know night temps need to drop but not below 65. But with him still having this infection what is the best temp at night for him. I do have a CHE if need be
Around 80

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok.. I will
Well finally after these rough several months I just took Charlie for his repeat X-ray after his last round of antibiotics… his lungs are clear!! He’s lost a bit of weight but she said he looks great overall. He just ate a bite of his salads and yesterday he ate 2 crickets and a hornworm on his own. I know that’s not near enough but it’s a 100% better than before. He’s active, he’s not pancaking with his head down like he was. My guy was a sick guy and I’m so thankful he’s on the mend. I’d been feeding him baby food and she said to stop … he may have gotten a bit spoiled to it. But, Sadie, I thank you so very much for your help and advice. I think I may have lost him without your help. I know he has a bit to go before I feel I can say he’s completely well but I think we may be getting there.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well finally after these rough several months I just took Charlie for his repeat X-ray after his last round of antibiotics… his lungs are clear!! He’s lost a bit of weight but she said he looks great overall. He just ate a bite of his salads and yesterday he ate 2 crickets and a hornworm on his own. I know that’s not near enough but it’s a 100% better than before. He’s active, he’s not pancaking with his head down like he was. My guy was a sick guy and I’m so thankful he’s on the mend. I’d been feeding him baby food and she said to stop … he may have gotten a bit spoiled to it. But, Sadie, I thank you so very much for your help and advice. I think I may have lost him without your help. I know he has a bit to go before I feel I can say he’s completely well but I think we may be getting there.
Good it sounds like Charlie is on the mend -- I am hoping he continues to improve -- just keep up w/ the good surface basking temps and good UVB and he should start to gain weight again w/ good diet --

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Good it sounds like Charlie is on the mend -- I am hoping he continues to improve -- just keep up w/ the good surface basking temps and good UVB and he should start to gain weight again w/ good diet --
Yes! I went ahead and got a new uvb last week just in the event that was a problem also. He actually ate a bit of salad today and I was ecstatic! I think he’s on the way. Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes! I went ahead and got a new uvb last week just in the event that was a problem also. He actually ate a bit of salad today and I was ecstatic! I think he’s on the way. Thank you
Yw- glad to hear -- sounds like charlie is on to better things- :)