• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not eating

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
It is the only thing dragons have in common are the surface basking temps-- and uvb- I reached out to a vet tech - she's pretty good and is currently working on research on adenovirus
Is this possibly adenovirus? They are always so quick and not a lot of explanation at the vet.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
They can be tested - do you want me to ask her about how to go about doing this
Oh yes please. And please ask if some lung density is a symptom or a sign. He had a CBC done about a month ago and negative results. Everything looked good on that.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Oh yes please. And please ask if some lung density is a symptom or a sign. He had a CBC done about a month ago and negative results. Everything looked good on that.
Sadie, my Charlie finished his 5 days of antibiotics on Saturday and still shows no interest in food period. I have taken him outside for around 20 minutes every day as advised until yesterday and the weather is rainy here. He has basked for a bit every morning then climbs down but until yesterday did not stay on the cool side. He has not come out of his hide yet this morning and lights were on at 7:30. I do usually pull him out of his hide but decontrol to today and see if he will come out on his own but he has not. I still notice as of yesterday that he always keeps his mouth just barely open… not gaping. He does gape when on his basking rocks but this is different. He just keeps his mouth barely open. His humidity has been staying closer to low 40’s as I upped the humidity. Night goes into high 40’s to 50. I had hoped that with finishing his antibiotics and me upping humidity that his behavior would be better and he’d show interest in food, but has not. I will be taking him back to the vet tomorrow as today is a holiday and all is closed. My question is should I take him from his hide or just se if he comes out on his own? And again, could this be brumation? I did give him a small amount of critical care yesterday but he did not seem to like that at all so I stopped. I just don’t know what to do….

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sadie, my Charlie finished his 5 days of antibiotics on Saturday and still shows no interest in food period. I have taken him outside for around 20 minutes every day as advised until yesterday and the weather is rainy here. He has basked for a bit every morning then climbs down but until yesterday did not stay on the cool side. He has not come out of his hide yet this morning and lights were on at 7:30. I do usually pull him out of his hide but decontrol to today and see if he will come out on his own but he has not. I still notice as of yesterday that he always keeps his mouth just barely open… not gaping. He does gape when on his basking rocks but this is different. He just keeps his mouth barely open. His humidity has been staying closer to low 40’s as I upped the humidity. Night goes into high 40’s to 50. I had hoped that with finishing his antibiotics and me upping humidity that his behavior would be better and he’d show interest in food, but has not. I will be taking him back to the vet tomorrow as today is a holiday and all is closed. My question is should I take him from his hide or just se if he comes out on his own? And again, could this be brumation? I did give him a small amount of critical care yesterday but he did not seem to like that at all so I stopped. I just don’t know what to do….
It may take him a while to get his appetite back - your humidity is optimal so that is not a issue - and the mouth slightly ajar is normal - Blaze does it too- what is the vet doing tomorrow -- please NO enemas --- are they rechecking the parasite count? As far as him not coming out on his own to bask how long does he stay when you put him there? Its possible hes got a upset stomach from the meds --- it tends to play havock w/ some dragons- you can ask the vet about putting him on some probiotics to help w/ the stomach and maybe some repti boost to boost the appetite -- or I can give you a link to a website for some probiotics and ask the vet tech that has the website about what to get -- she is pretty good and can answer your questions about the meds he was on as well
https://bug-de-lite.com/ Her name is Tracie and she is out of Texas -- she can help you w/ Charlie and his meds / appetite -- contact her see what she says

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
It may take him a while to get his appetite back - your humidity is optimal so that is not a issue - and the mouth slightly ajar is normal - Blaze does it too- what is the vet doing tomorrow -- please NO enemas --- are they rechecking the parasite count? As far as him not coming out on his own to bask how long does he stay when you put him there? Its possible hes got a upset stomach from the meds --- it tends to play havock w/ some dragons- you can ask the vet about putting him on some probiotics to help w/ the stomach and maybe some repti boost to boost the appetite -- or I can give you a link to a website for some probiotics and ask the vet tech that has the website about what to get -- she is pretty good and can answer your questions about the meds he was on as well
https://bug-de-lite.com/ Her name is Tracie and she is out of Texas -- she can help you w/ Charlie and his meds / appetite -- contact her see what she says
Originally the vet said bring him back in 3 weeks but I called on Friday to ask about the critical care and they said go ahead and bring him in on Tuesday. Not sure what they will be checking but I’m assuming another X-ray to check on the density they saw in his lungs. The vet said it was very little density tho. She said she felt he was in brumation. I would never allow an enema on him but I will bring in a sample when he goes again for another check although the one about a month and a half ago was parasite free. I want it checked by this vet. Normally I put Charlie in his hide at night when lights go out… I have done that from the first day I had him… and I bring him out at 7:30 in the morning when lights go on… I sit him on his basking rocks and he stays there, normally a couple of hours before moving somewhere else. Wherever he moves to after the basking us where he stays all day. But usually he stays on a ledge on the back wall but he is still under the uvb and normally in the middle of the tank. Just this morning I didn’t get him out of his hide and he is still there. Thank you.. I will be contacting Tracie right now

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Originally the vet said bring him back in 3 weeks but I called on Friday to ask about the critical care and they said go ahead and bring him in on Tuesday. Not sure what they will be checking but I’m assuming another X-ray to check on the density they saw in his lungs. The vet said it was very little density tho. She said she felt he was in brumation. I would never allow an enema on him but I will bring in a sample when he goes again for another check although the one about a month and a half ago was parasite free. I want it checked by this vet. Normally I put Charlie in his hide at night when lights go out… I have done that from the first day I had him… and I bring him out at 7:30 in the morning when lights go on… I sit him on his basking rocks and he stays there, normally a couple of hours before moving somewhere else. Wherever he moves to after the basking us where he stays all day. But usually he stays on a ledge on the back wall but he is still under the uvb and normally in the middle of the tank. Just this morning I didn’t get him out of his hide and he is still there. Thank you.. I will be contacting Tracie right now
If Charlie doesnt like the critical care you can mix your own w/ what he does like- just make sure you make it kinda soupy so hes getting water -- and add a pinch of calcium to it as well --- see if he will lick it off the spoon first then go w/ the syringe feed --- add a drop of honey to it for sweet too maybe that will catch those taste buds -- get him motivated

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
If Charlie doesnt like the critical care you can mix your own w/ what he does like- just make sure you make it kinda soupy so hes getting water -- and add a pinch of calcium to it as well --- see if he will lick it off the spoon first then go w/ the syringe feed --- add a drop of honey to it for sweet too maybe that will catch those taste buds -- get him motivated
Ok… I’m about to try. I’m hoping!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is the only thing dragons have in common are the surface basking temps-- and uvb- I reached out to a vet tech - she's pretty good and is currently working on research on adenovirus
She got back to me and this is what she has asked

Did they need to test their dragon for Adeno?
They can sign up on the www.thepats.info

It is $21 for testing a sample, for adeno.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
She got back to me and this is what she has asked

Did they need to test their dragon for Adeno?
They can sign up on the www.thepats.info

It is $21 for testing a sample, for adeno.
Neither vet mentioned testing for Adeno. The first vet did a CBC and all was normal. Could this be Adeno? He is 15 months old now. He’s never been around another animal. It seems that symptoms are all over the board on reading about it. I just don’t know what’s true and untrue concerning these guys. The past couple of days he is acting so much more alert. He’s not eating but he’s not pancaking and sleeping. He’s moving around his enclosure a bit more. I take him out several times a day in his room and usually he just sits in the window looking around but yesterday he was all over the olaceI tried to email Ms. Tracie but it said she was offline and it wouldn’t submit. I will try again today but I did go ahead and order a probiotic from her site. I will be taking him back one day this week and I will ask for an Adeno test. I also want him retested for parasites but I’ll wait until he poops. But with nothing in his tummy will he poop? I fed him some greens that I made into a soupy mix. He didn’t eat it on his own but he didn’t put up too much of a fight either. He acted as tho he wanted it. I’m gonna do a sweet potato today. His new silkworms and mealworms will be here this week. But I will continue try to talk to Ms Tracie.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Neither vet mentioned testing for Adeno. The first vet did a CBC and all was normal. Could this be Adeno? He is 15 months old now. He’s never been around another animal. It seems that symptoms are all over the board on reading about it. I just don’t know what’s true and untrue concerning these guys. The past couple of days he is acting so much more alert. He’s not eating but he’s not pancaking and sleeping. He’s moving around his enclosure a bit more. I take him out several times a day in his room and usually he just sits in the window looking around but yesterday he was all over the olaceI tried to email Ms. Tracie but it said she was offline and it wouldn’t submit. I will try again today but I did go ahead and order a probiotic from her site. I will be taking him back one day this week and I will ask for an Adeno test. I also want him retested for parasites but I’ll wait until he poops. But with nothing in his tummy will he poop? I fed him some greens that I made into a soupy mix. He didn’t eat it on his own but he didn’t put up too much of a fight either. He acted as tho he wanted it. I’m gonna do a sweet potato today. His new silkworms and mealworms will be here this week. But I will continue try to talk to Ms Tracie.
I will let her know your trying to get in touch w/ her on her website --- I will also pass this post on to her as well

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok. I thank you so much. My name is Terri…
Tracey emailed me and I filled her in on everything this morning so I’m waiting to here back . I also spoke to the vet yesterday about the adenovirus test. She said she didn’t feel that was necessary for Charlie but definitely would if I wanted and I do so we will test. She said if he’s not eating by the end of the week to bring him back in on Tuesday and she may want to hospitalize him for a couple days to observe his behavior. I will do that if that’s what it takes. The last couple of days his behavior is much better. He’s moving around the enclosure and not just lying with his head down but much more alert… still not eating other than sweet potato in a syringe. I did the greens flurry and he didn’t like that. Puffed his beard.. not black tho…and I thought he may throw it up but did not. My question now is critical care. I have some that I opened about a month ago and tried it when he first stopped eating. He didn’t like it so I stopped and put it in a sealed bag in the fridge. The expiration date is not up till 23 but all I’ve read is once it’s opened it loses its vitamins and will be no good. Is it still hood and should I do that again ?

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Tracey emailed me and I filled her in on everything this morning so I’m waiting to here back . I also spoke to the vet yesterday about the adenovirus test. She said she didn’t feel that was necessary for Charlie but definitely would if I wanted and I do so we will test. She said if he’s not eating by the end of the week to bring him back in on Tuesday and she may want to hospitalize him for a couple days to observe his behavior. I will do that if that’s what it takes. The last couple of days his behavior is much better. He’s moving around the enclosure and not just lying with his head down but much more alert… still not eating other than sweet potato in a syringe. I did the greens flurry and he didn’t like that. Puffed his beard.. not black tho…and I thought he may throw it up but did not. My question now is critical care. I have some that I opened about a month ago and tried it when he first stopped eating. He didn’t like it so I stopped and put it in a sealed bag in the fridge. The expiration date is not up till 23 but all I’ve read is once it’s opened it loses its vitamins and will be no good. Is it still hood and should I do that again ?
So, took Charlie to second vet and she did 2nd sets of X-rays and bloodwork…vet is suspicious of aspiration pneumonia and gave another round of antibiotics. Blood drawn was sent to Texas A&M for review. She said that often times dragons of color.. like my Charlie a red hypo.. can have issues. So, I’m just hoping and praying that his blood work comes back good and that this last round of antibiotics will start to heal his little body. Any thoughts on this aspiration pneumonia?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, took Charlie to second vet and she did 2nd sets of X-rays and bloodwork…vet is suspicious of aspiration pneumonia and gave another round of antibiotics. Blood drawn was sent to Texas A&M for review. She said that often times dragons of color.. like my Charlie a red hypo.. can have issues. So, I’m just hoping and praying that his blood work comes back good and that this last round of antibiotics will start to heal his little body. Any thoughts on this aspiration pneumonia?
Not sure on how he got it-- bathing? What about your humidity I think it was all good wasnt it? I would ask Tracie on that how he could of gotten it-- was he showing any signs of breathing heavy ? mucous out of the nose or mouth? thick saliva?

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Not sure on how he got it-- bathing? What about your humidity I think it was all good wasnt it? I would ask Tracie on that how he could of gotten it-- was he showing any signs of breathing heavy ? mucous out of the nose or mouth? thick saliva?
My humidity is good.. it’s been a constant 30-40 in the day and around 45 at night. That’s never changed. I’m not sure but is it possible that when I was give him water from a syringe or that first time about a month ago when I gave him the critical care in a syringe that possibly he got some in his airway as the critical care was very liquidity in order to use with a syringe?? He’s never even attempted to drink the bath water at all. He’s never shown signs of heavy breathing or any mucus or thick saliva. I don’t know.. it seems like I’m my trying to do it all just right that I’ve somehow hurt my little guy.. seems I hear of others taking no thought of the husbandry or humidity and temps and they never have issues. It’s really got me in some tears now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My humidity is good.. it’s been a constant 30-40 in the day and around 45 at night. That’s never changed. I’m not sure but is it possible that when I was give him water from a syringe or that first time about a month ago when I gave him the critical care in a syringe that possibly he got some in his airway as the critical care was very liquidity in order to use with a syringe?? He’s never even attempted to drink the bath water at all. He’s never shown signs of heavy breathing or any mucus or thick saliva. I don’t know.. it seems like I’m my trying to do it all just right that I’ve somehow hurt my little guy.. seems I hear of others taking no thought of the husbandry or humidity and temps and they never have issues. It’s really got me in some tears now.
Your doing good- people that don't take care of husbandry- issues end up w/ major issues down the road- wait and see what the vets say - it may be just him -

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Your doing good- people that don't take care of husbandry- issues end up w/ major issues down the road- wait and see what the vets say - it may be just him -
Ok.. thank you.. just want my little guy to be healthy and happy and live the best life I can give him. Hopefully the blood work comes back good. I’ll keep ya posted.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Ok.. thank you.. just want my little guy to be healthy and happy and live the best life I can give him. Hopefully the blood work comes back good. I’ll keep ya posted.
Ok… so I just caught my Charlie trying to eat some of the fake greenery but he refuses his real greens! What do I do? I’ve got turnips, collards, mustard greens topped with a silkworm and a superworm. Am I feeding him wrong?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok… so I just caught my Charlie trying to eat some of the fake greenery but he refuses his real greens! What do I do? I’ve got turnips, collards, mustard greens topped with a silkworm and a superworm. Am I feeding him wrong?
Either raise the fake plants or take them out-- try offering / hand feeding the silk worms and super worms to him and see if he will take them from you -- then w/ the fresh greens- did the blood work come back ? Are you keeping track of his weight?

Latest posts