• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not eating

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
My Charlie is 14 months. He is not eating. I’ve had him parasite tested and he is parasite free. He’s in a 72x24x24 enclosure. I’ve just replaced uvb which is the Reptisun HO t5 mounted inside running 3/4 length of enclosure.. I use zoomed basking bulb. No colored lites. Humidity stays below 43%. Basking surface is 96-100…. Basking ambient is 95. Cool side 80-82. Middle of tank stays around 84-86. Basking surface is 13 inches from uvb and heat. Substrate is ceramic tile. He has a rock background for climbing…a hide on cool side… mopani wood for a couple of different distances from lites. Temps are all measured with digital thermometers with probes (a total of three probes in enclosure). He broke his toe a few months ago and I took him to the vet. She did a CBC to check for any infection but non was present. She said just let the toe heal which is what I’ve done. I provide fresh greens daily. I offer superworms, hornworms and occasionally silkworms. I top his salad with BSFL daily. He refuses roaches from the first day I had him. I offer crickets daily. He was eating crickets 3 or more days a week and always would eat a superworm but the last several days he is refusing anything. He has never eaten much of his salad but would eat a few bites from time to time. But for several weeks he won’t touch it. I’m very worried about what’s going on. He’s not getting calcium because he’s refusing anything now. I know they can go a while with no food but this is going on too long now. He is alert, I never see him sleeping during the day. He’s on a 12 hour day/ night. I’m all out of knowing what to do!!! I can’t get any answers. I’ve with held worms as I was told to do and if he gets hungry enough he’ll eat the salad but I’m not so sure he will because it’s been a while now. He only poops every 8-10 days and he’s done that ever since I got him at 4 months old. I’ve used bee pollen also. I ordered the reptaid but I’m not sure if I should give it to him. The vet didn’t know about what it was. Please please any advice, suggestions? I’m to the end of knowing what to do. Help!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My Charlie is 14 months. He is not eating. I’ve had him parasite tested and he is parasite free. He’s in a 72x24x24 enclosure. I’ve just replaced uvb which is the Reptisun HO t5 mounted inside running 3/4 length of enclosure.. I use zoomed basking bulb. No colored lites. Humidity stays below 43%. Basking surface is 96-100…. Basking ambient is 95. Cool side 80-82. Middle of tank stays around 84-86. Basking surface is 13 inches from uvb and heat. Substrate is ceramic tile. He has a rock background for climbing…a hide on cool side… mopani wood for a couple of different distances from lites. Temps are all measured with digital thermometers with probes (a total of three probes in enclosure). He broke his toe a few months ago and I took him to the vet. She did a CBC to check for any infection but non was present. She said just let the toe heal which is what I’ve done. I provide fresh greens daily. I offer superworms, hornworms and occasionally silkworms. I top his salad with BSFL daily. He refuses roaches from the first day I had him. I offer crickets daily. He was eating crickets 3 or more days a week and always would eat a superworm but the last several days he is refusing anything. He has never eaten much of his salad but would eat a few bites from time to time. But for several weeks he won’t touch it. I’m very worried about what’s going on. He’s not getting calcium because he’s refusing anything now. I know they can go a while with no food but this is going on too long now. He is alert, I never see him sleeping during the day. He’s on a 12 hour day/ night. I’m all out of knowing what to do!!! I can’t get any answers. I’ve with held worms as I was told to do and if he gets hungry enough he’ll eat the salad but I’m not so sure he will because it’s been a while now. He only poops every 8-10 days and he’s done that ever since I got him at 4 months old. I’ve used bee pollen also. I ordered the reptaid but I’m not sure if I should give it to him. The vet didn’t know about what it was. Please please any advice, suggestions? I’m to the end of knowing what to do. Help!
They do go off their food - get a weight on him kitchen food scale weigh in grams- keep him hydrated they won't eat if they are dehydrated - watch his weight if he's losing there's an issue if he stays stable he's fine- your uvb is how old? It sounds like your doing everything you should- your T 5 is helping w/ the calcium he's not getting- the reptaid is a appetite booster it may help or not- you can try it- use the bsfl to lure him to the salad bowl add them to the tops of his salads in front of him to entice him to the bowl

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
They do go off their food - get a weight on him kitchen food scale weigh in grams- keep him hydrated they won't eat if they are dehydrated - watch his weight if he's losing there's an issue if he stays stable he's fine- your uvb is how old? It sounds like your doing everything you should- your T 5 is helping w/ the calcium he's not getting- the reptaid is a appetite booster it may help or not- you can try it- use the bsfl to lure him to the salad bowl add them to the tops of his salads in front of him to entice him to the bowl
I keep a watch on his weight. He has pretty much maintained a weight of 550 grams for a while. I notice he will weigh a gram or more until he poops then it goes down a gram or so. But really he has stayed that weight for some time now. I give him a syringe full of bottled water every other day which he takes easily. My humidity is too high to leave water in there. I soak him about 3 to 4 times every couple of weeks. He doesn’t seem to like a soak tho. I’ve had him 8 months and replaced the uvb twice. The one now is less than 5 months old. I actually do top his salad every day with the BSFL. He was eating them but is not interested now. Charlie has never been active… he won’t chase anything. Also, he has never seemed to like much of anything but supers and silks…he’s never eaten a lot of salads and I have bought everything on the list of things they can eat. I guess I’ll try the reptaid if you think it will not hurt him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I keep a watch on his weight. He has pretty much maintained a weight of 550 grams for a while. I notice he will weigh a gram or more until he poops then it goes down a gram or so. But really he has stayed that weight for some time now. I give him a syringe full of bottled water every other day which he takes easily. My humidity is too high to leave water in there. I soak him about 3 to 4 times every couple of weeks. He doesn’t seem to like a soak tho. I’ve had him 8 months and replaced the uvb twice. The one now is less than 5 months old. I actually do top his salad every day with the BSFL. He was eating them but is not interested now. Charlie has never been active… he won’t chase anything. Also, he has never seemed to like much of anything but supers and silks…he’s never eaten a lot of salads and I have bought everything on the list of things they can eat. I guess I’ll try the reptaid if you think it will not hurt him.
It wont on the reptaid but I would cut back on the water- dragons only need water like once a week or so I would offer water and see if he will lick off his nose when you drop it on him or if he drinks out of a bath you can try it that way as well - they are a desert animal - are his urates really runny is he excreting a lot of excess fluid when he poops? Sounds like hes tired of the BSFL - you might try some meal worms on the salad - its different and he may go for them since hes not eating the BSFL - you can let them turn into flies pull the wings off and drop them in the salads as well --

Mummabeardy

Juvenile Dragon
My Mikey is sort of similar..he refuses all veggies/greens/fruit no matter what!!! I've been to vet and they said to keep doing what I'm doing which is baby food veggies..squash pumpkin, etc 3mls every couple days! It's only way he eats it by syringe!! Of course bugs and worms he'll never stop eating!! I've tried to with hold the worms before too but he won't budge! Plus they know us dragon mommies feel bad I'm pretty sure! But that's just a thought especially that's how he gets his calcium and vitamins. Maybe ask your vet if it's a good suggestion? Good luck hun.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
It wont on the reptaid but I would cut back on the water- dragons only need water like once a week or so I would offer water and see if he will lick off his nose when you drop it on him or if he drinks out of a bath you can try it that way as well - they are a desert animal - are his urates really runny is he excreting a lot of excess fluid when he poops? Sounds like hes tired of the BSFL - you might try some meal worms on the salad - its different and he may go for them since hes not eating the BSFL - you can let them turn into flies pull the wings off and drop them in the salads as well --
Ok. I will cut back on water. He does let it run in his mouth when I drop on his nose. He’s never drank from a soak tho.. nor from the water bowl when I was able to put one in his enclosure. His heated are not runny at all but his poop is runny a bit about every other time he poops. I will try mealworms. I will pull the wings from the flies also. Right now he is absolutely refusing anything. I’ve also noticed that he is lying flat on the floor more than he has ever done before. I’m not sure if that is pancaking. He has his head up always tho. Is this normal behavior?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. I will cut back on water. He does let it run in his mouth when I drop on his nose. He’s never drank from a soak tho.. nor from the water bowl when I was able to put one in his enclosure. His heated are not runny at all but his poop is runny a bit about every other time he poops. I will try mealworms. I will pull the wings from the flies also. Right now he is absolutely refusing anything. I’ve also noticed that he is lying flat on the floor more than he has ever done before. I’m not sure if that is pancaking. He has his head up always tho. Is this normal behavior?
Yes w/ the pancaking and it is normal - he is relaxing - so you have good formation of the poop and urate? Any excess water means hes good and hydrated - hes not losing weight I wouldnt worry about him then- sounds like hes just being a normal dragon causing worry -

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Yes w/ the pancaking and it is normal - he is relaxing - so you have good formation of the poop and urate? Any excess water means hes good and hydrated - hes not losing weight I wouldnt worry about him then- sounds like hes just being a normal dragon causing worry -
The unrated are always formed and a light pinkish white. Usually poop is formed but not hard with a bit of runny. Sometimes it is runny and that is what prompted me to get a parasite check but he is parasite free. I weighed him again yesterday and he has lost 5 grams since last week. He is definitely causing me worry!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The unrated are always formed and a light pinkish white. Usually poop is formed but not hard with a bit of runny. Sometimes it is runny and that is what prompted me to get a parasite check but he is parasite free. I weighed him again yesterday and he has lost 5 grams since last week. He is definitely causing me worry!
Ok if he continues to lose weight I would make a vet appointment then- the vet is he a reptile vet--

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you. I definitely will
I took my Charlie to the vet concerning his not eating. She said he was very healthy and definitely male. He is parasite free. She saw no reason for labs or X-ray. She said all his fat pads are great. But, I’m still concerned. He did poop yesterday after the vet visit and it was normal. He seems to be showing signs of brumation… at least showing some characteristics of what I read. I was keeping his overall temp around 90. Hot end 95 ambient and 100 surface. Cool end 80-85. I use 4 different temp probes for this. But, on advice, I lowered the overall temp to 85-87. Could this be brumation and if so what do I fo?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I took my Charlie to the vet concerning his not eating. She said he was very healthy and definitely male. He is parasite free. She saw no reason for labs or X-ray. She said all his fat pads are great. But, I’m still concerned. He did poop yesterday after the vet visit and it was normal. He seems to be showing signs of brumation… at least showing some characteristics of what I read. I was keeping his overall temp around 90. Hot end 95 ambient and 100 surface. Cool end 80-85. I use 4 different temp probes for this. But, on advice, I lowered the overall temp to 85-87. Could this be brumation and if so what do I fo?
Has his appetite picked up? Brumation seems awful early- I guess if he's not losing weight is basking moving around the tank I wouldn't worry about him- keep your basking area on the hot side in the 90's close to 100 and your middle tank in the 90's as well cool side 80's- lower - keep offering his food-

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Has his appetite picked up? Brumation seems awful early- I guess if he's not losing weight is basking moving around the tank I wouldn't worry about him- keep your basking area on the hot side in the 90's close to 100 and your middle tank in the 90's as well cool side 80's- lower - keep offering his food-
No, he’s refusing food. I’m waiting on silkworms and hornworms to come. He won’t touch the larvae and superworms. Actually, he has never moved around his enclosure much at all. Once he’s basked in the morning and moves from the heat that is where he stays all day. I’ll move that middle temp back up and see how he does. If his behavior and eating doesn’t improve then I’ll make the 2 hour trip to another exotic vet. I made a sweet potato and mixed with some organic sweet potato baby food and put it in a syringe. I would put some above his mouth and he was licking it off. Should I continue that?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, he’s refusing food. I’m waiting on silkworms and hornworms to come. He won’t touch the larvae and superworms. Actually, he has never moved around his enclosure much at all. Once he’s basked in the morning and moves from the heat that is where he stays all day. I’ll move that middle temp back up and see how he does. If his behavior and eating doesn’t improve then I’ll make the 2 hour trip to another exotic vet. I made a sweet potato and mixed with some organic sweet potato baby food and put it in a syringe. I would put some above his mouth and he was licking it off. Should I continue that?
Yes I am gonna get some help on this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you
Here is the reply I got

Could be heading toward brumation. BTW, they should continue the hydration if the dragon is drinking, be sure to mention that. Some animals, just like people, need more water than others.

Newbeardiemom

Juvenile Dragon
Here is the reply I got

Could be heading toward brumation. BTW, they should continue the hydration if the dragon is drinking, be sure to mention that. Some animals, just like people, need more water than others.
Ok.. I’ll continue with the hydration. He’s up now and seems more alert than the last few days. I’m trying to attach some pics so you have an idea of him and his set up to see if I’m doing anything wrong. I will moving his overall temp to 90 today. One pic is overall and the other three are in sections.

Attachments

• 90D978E5-635D-4C8F-889A-02225562A579.jpeg
    90D978E5-635D-4C8F-889A-02225562A579.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 27CAC5BB-CE09-4EDF-8F89-E71965C6C029.jpeg
    27CAC5BB-CE09-4EDF-8F89-E71965C6C029.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 9DC99439-9F3D-4FEC-AF16-6CEB85AC3E9B.jpeg
    9DC99439-9F3D-4FEC-AF16-6CEB85AC3E9B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 30B61BF0-DAA4-43AA-81BB-B8A584D2756A.jpeg
    30B61BF0-DAA4-43AA-81BB-B8A584D2756A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok.. I’ll continue with the hydration. He’s up now and seems more alert than the last few days. I’m trying to attach some pics so you have an idea of him and his set up to see if I’m doing anything wrong. I will moving his overall temp to 90 today. One pic is overall and the other three are in sections.
Can he get directly under the UVB and is the UVB in a fixture / hood w/ a reflector? The tank set up looks really nice-- you want surface basking temps 95-100 - middle of the tank 90"s and the cool end 80's

she also posted back some more info on the brumation thing

Oh and they do not need to be worrried at all about calcium, dragons are built to brumate for months at a time with minimal or no food at all. My dragons brumate 2-3 months every year without a bite to eat, sleep right through and have no MBD or calcium related problems. They can also go off food for other reasons and not be affected as long as they are old enough + large enough.

Latest posts