• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie aggression? Sickness?

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie is pretty young, probably only a month old to several weeks. I've only had him for a few weeks ( since February 20th ). He was bought from a family owned pet store.

Ever since I've had him, he's been making a sound that sounds like a small pop. He stretches his beard and when it retracts, the sound is made from his mouth. Is it an aggression sign ? Does he have a respiratory infection ? He does this when I hold him, get near him, and sometimes when he's just sitting in the tank alone. I just fed him. He's active and poops everyday. He willingly eats his crickets and greens and I dust them with vitamins, calcium with and without d3 on needed days.

I'm starting to think it might be an upper respiratory infection and thinking on taking him to the vet, but I'm not sure. I'm really new to this and I'm just worrying a lot. It's quite hard to get a video of it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie is pretty young, probably only a month old to several weeks. I've only had him for a few weeks ( since February 20th ). He was bought from a family owned pet store.

Ever since I've had him, he's been making a sound that sounds like a small pop. He stretches his beard and when it retracts, the sound is made from his mouth. Is it an aggression sign ? Does he have a respiratory infection ? He does this when I hold him, get near him, and sometimes when he's just sitting in the tank alone. I just fed him. He's active and poops everyday. He willingly eats his crickets and greens and I dust them with vitamins, calcium with and without d3 on needed days.

I'm starting to think it might be an upper respiratory infection and thinking on taking him to the vet, but I'm not sure. I'm really new to this and I'm just worrying a lot. It's quite hard to get a video of it.
Yes it could be a RI--- please post a video on youtube and post the link--- in the mean time please go over the surface basking temps they should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and your UVB--- NO coils please they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- he needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONE time per feeding lightly coated on his insects -- calcium w / out D3 will come when hes a year old --- he also needs vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated dusted on his insects --

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Yes it could be a RI--- please post a video on youtube and post the link--- in the mean time please go over the surface basking temps they should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and your UVB--- NO coils please they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- he needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONE time per feeding lightly coated on his insects -- calcium w / out D3 will come when hes a year old --- he also needs vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated dusted on his insects --

You can't really hear the pop sound in the video, but I do believe it looks kind of like a cough.

I can't really go over the temps right now. I have a stick on, but I know it's inaccurate. Though, it's reading is around 95° F.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

You can't really hear the pop sound in the video, but I do believe it looks kind of like a cough.

I can't really go over the temps right now. I have a stick on, but I know it's inaccurate. Though, it's reading is around 95° F.
Ok so I am gonna have some one look at the video but you need to get 2 digital probe thermometers his basking temps need to be 105-110 and if he is sick I would recommend getting a Ceramic Heat Emitter keeping tank temps at night around 80 --- this will help him fight off the RI but you also need correct surface basking temps and UVB this is imperative to his overall health and for him to get over what hes got going -- he is very tiny -- for a 40 gallon tank I would get a 100 watt che-- your going to need a dome w/ a ceramic socket place the CHE on top of the tank center - your shooting for ambient temps of around 80 --

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so I am gonna have some one look at the video but you need to get 2 digital probe thermometers his basking temps need to be 105-110 and if he is sick I would recommend getting a Ceramic Heat Emitter keeping tank temps at night around 80 --- this will help him fight off the RI but you also need correct surface basking temps and UVB this is imperative to his overall health and for him to get over what hes got going -- he is very tiny -- for a 40 gallon tank I would get a 100 watt che-- your going to need a dome w/ a ceramic socket place the CHE on top of the tank center - your shooting for ambient temps of around 80 --

Thank you, please get back to me when you get someone to check the video.

Do you have any suggestions to what digital probe thermometers I should get ? I can't go out right now to buy anything, something came up at the worst timing. I use a 20 gallon tank. The UVB is a t5 arcadia jungle dawn that sits on top of mesh. I'm aware this blocks out quite a bit, but I cannot put the light inside. The top of the tank slides out towards me, and I can't just purchase another tank at the moment. I use a 75 W heating bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, please get back to me when you get someone to check the video.

Do you have any suggestions to what digital probe thermometers I should get ? I can't go out right now to buy anything, something came up at the worst timing. I use a 20 gallon tank. The UVB is a t5 arcadia jungle dawn that sits on top of mesh. I'm aware this blocks out quite a bit, but I cannot put the light inside. The top of the tank slides out towards me, and I can't just purchase another tank at the moment. I use a 75 W heating bulb.
I hear the jungle dawns are good --- if you leave it on top of screen have the distance around 8-10 inches w/ the decor directly under it - for a 20 gallon tank I recommend the T 8 but w/ the T 5 we need to make due w/ what you have -- I have reached out so someone about this -- please get the digital probes at your pet store -- Zoo Meds are the most common - they are yellow in color -- you need the probes ASAP -- but the 75 watt sounds good for wattage --- but we need to make sure those temps are where they need to be -- if you have a heating pad you can set that in the tank to keep temps at night around 80 - place a dish towel or something on it and on low at night -- see what kind of ambient temps your getting at night -

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
I hear the jungle dawns are good --- if you leave it on top of screen have the distance around 8-10 inches w/ the decor directly under it - for a 20 gallon tank I recommend the T 8 but w/ the T 5 we need to make due w/ what you have -- I have reached out so someone about this -- please get the digital probes at your pet store -- Zoo Meds are the most common - they are yellow in color -- you need the probes ASAP -- but the 75 watt sounds good for wattage --- but we need to make sure those temps are where they need to be -- if you have a heating pad you can set that in the tank to keep temps at night around 80 - place a dish towel or something on it and on low at night -- see what kind of ambient temps your getting at night -

I have a heating pad that states it's for under the tank, but I can't really put it under. Would putting it inside be a good idea ? I could try to get the probe thermometers tomorrow, but I won't be able to guarantee it. The stick on I use currently is the " thrive digital thermometer "

I have a heating pad that states it's for under the tank, but I can't really put it under. Would putting it inside be a good idea ? I could try to get the probe thermometers tomorrow, but I won't be able to guarantee it. The stick on I use currently is the " thrive digital thermometer ". Of course, it's a stick on which means it's probably inaccurate with it's readings. It often times is around the 95°- 105° F range

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a heating pad that states it's for under the tank, but I can't really put it under. Would putting it inside be a good idea ? I could try to get the probe thermometers tomorrow, but I won't be able to guarantee it. The stick on I use currently is the " thrive digital thermometer "

I have a heating pad that states it's for under the tank, but I can't really put it under. Would putting it inside be a good idea ? I could try to get the probe thermometers tomorrow, but I won't be able to guarantee it. The stick on I use currently is the " thrive digital thermometer ". Of course, it's a stick on which means it's probably inaccurate with it's readings. It often times is around the 95°- 105° F range
Its giving you only ambient temps -- you want one w/ a probe -- also what is the humidity in the tank? Again you need a digital probe hygrometer -- the analogs are always off -- the under heater tank is ok we dont often recommend them but if it can keep the tank to around 80 at nite that would be good - check your temp in the morning w/ it on over night and see what your getting for ambient temps -- why cant you put the mat under the tank?

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Its giving you only ambient temps -- you want one w/ a probe -- also what is the humidity in the tank? Again you need a digital probe hygrometer -- the analogs are always off -- the under heater tank is ok we dont often recommend them but if it can keep the tank to around 80 at nite that would be good - check your temp in the morning w/ it on over night and see what your getting for ambient temps -- why cant you put the mat under the tank?

I don't have a hygrometer at all in the tank. I'll purchase one tomorrow if I can.

I cannot put the heating pad under the tank as the tank sits on a wooden dresser. I'm not sure if it could mess it up or anything. It's also a pain to lift the tank up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't have a hygrometer at all in the tank. I'll purchase one tomorrow if I can.

I cannot put the heating pad under the tank as the tank sits on a wooden dresser. I'm not sure if it could mess it up or anything. It's also a pain to lift the tank up.
Since I dont know how hot they get test the mat plug it in and see how hot it gets but your going to need that digital probe thermometer to tell you --- unless it says on the box -- I am going to say NOT to use it inside and go w/ the heating pad that I recommended before -- set on low w/ a dish towel over it -- you want a digital probe hygrometer Zoo Med sells them - the probe needs to go on the back center wall of the tank -- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% -- this is also crucial for shedding -- too low of humidity will cause RI's --

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Since I dont know how hot they get test the mat plug it in and see how hot it gets but your going to need that digital probe thermometer to tell you --- unless it says on the box -- I am going to say NOT to use it inside and go w/ the heating pad that I recommended before -- set on low w/ a dish towel over it -- you want a digital probe hygrometer Zoo Med sells them - the probe needs to go on the back center wall of the tank -- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% -- this is also crucial for shedding -- too low of humidity will cause RI's --

Alright. I'll keep that in mind. Have you gotten anything back from the video ? Should I still consider taking my bearded dragon to the vet just to be sure ? I'm still considering it even if there's a chance there is no RI.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright. I'll keep that in mind. Have you gotten anything back from the video ? Should I still consider taking my bearded dragon to the vet just to be sure ? I'm still considering it even if there's a chance there is no RI.
Not yet I am hoping to hear something back here soon --- hes so little I dont want him getting stressed out anymore than possible -- if he she says it looks like hes got a RI going then yes you will haft to take him in so he can be put on a antibiotic but for now we need to get those temps to what they need to be -- and I want some in put on that jungle dawn light too -- I reached out to another person about that since I dont know a lot about them -- in the mean time I am posting a website to help you find a good reptile vet and I am going to reach out to Tracie she a vet tech on this board --- www.arav.org if your in a small area type in the biggest cities zip code closest to you
@Drache613

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Not yet I am hoping to hear something back here soon --- hes so little I dont want him getting stressed out anymore than possible -- if he she says it looks like hes got a RI going then yes you will haft to take him in so he can be put on a antibiotic but for now we need to get those temps to what they need to be -- and I want some in put on that jungle dawn light too -- I reached out to another person about that since I dont know a lot about them -- in the mean time I am posting a website to help you find a good reptile vet and I am going to reach out to Tracie she a vet tech on this board --- www.arav.org if your in a small area type in the biggest cities zip code closest to you
@Drache613

Okay thank you. So in the mean time, I should purchase digital probe thermometers and a hygrometer? There might be a chance I could get them today, but it's unlikely. It will most likely have to be tomorrow. The only thing that's been happening with my beardie is the small occasional popping sound. I do think he's breathing a bit heavy at times, but it's not often, and I'm not sure if it's out of the ordinary. it happens only when the popping comes. His mouth doesn't always open like he's coughing when he does this. I just find it a bit strange, as he is relatively active and is willing to eat. He moves quite a bit in his tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thank you. So in the mean time, I should purchase digital probe thermometers and a hygrometer? There might be a chance I could get them today, but it's unlikely. It will most likely have to be tomorrow. The only thing that's been happening with my beardie is the small occasional popping sound. I do think he's breathing a bit heavy at times, but it's not often, and I'm not sure if it's out of the ordinary. it happens only when the popping comes. His mouth doesn't always open like he's coughing when he does this. I just find it a bit strange, as he is relatively active and is willing to eat. He moves quite a bit in his tank.
Yes please get the temp probes and the hygrometer -- its good hes still eating and active --

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Yes please get the temp probes and the hygrometer -- its good hes still eating and active --

Okay, thank you ! I'll make sure to do that, and also keep an eye on activity for the time being. Hopefully you can get back to me with some more input.

Latest posts