• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Ragon still not eating...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it normal for it to go on for a long time? I've had him for about a month now.
Some are like that - did you get the reptisun bulb I recommended? With good uvb and surface basking temps on par is going to help him acclimate to the tank and surroundings - have you gotten him some bsfl? Feeding salads?

Peacheless

Hatchling Dragon
Some are like that - did you get the reptisun bulb I recommended? With good uvb and surface basking temps on par is going to help him acclimate to the tank and surroundings - have you gotten him some bsfl?
Yeah. I'm waiting for the bulb and bsfl to be delivered this week. And I've been trying to get him to eat salads.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah. I'm waiting for the bulb and bsfl to be delivered this week. And I've been trying to get him to eat salads.
Use those bsfl on his salads to lure him to the salad bowl - I will post a link for you tomorrow for a bowl that will keep the bsfl in- hand feed him some of those bsfl that will hand tame him and learn to trust you - get a piece of clothing or fleece blanket etc something w/ your scent it songe gets used to you this will help as well adjust to his surroundings

Peacheless

Hatchling Dragon
Use those bsfl on his salads to lure him to the salad bowl - I will post a link for you tomorrow for a bowl that will keep the bsfl in- hand feed him some of those bsfl that will hand tame him and learn to trust you - get a piece of clothing or fleece blanket etc something w/ your scent it songe gets used to you this will help as well adjust to his surroundings
Ok no problem. Thanks!

Pringle

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am thinking hes going into brumation or semi brumation -- hows his weight?
Brumation is not gonna happen unless temperatures suddenly or gradually get lower. Brumation is not safe for young reptiles. OP's baby beardie si too young for brumating.

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Hi. I posted regarding my bearded dragon Red a few weeks ago. I am here to give an update on the situation. He still is not eating. I have gotten a better heating lamp. I have also gotten a better UVB light. Speciffically a REPTI ZOO T5 10.0 HO UVB. The humidity in the enclosure stays between 30-40%. His basking spot ranges from 95-100 degrees. His cool area is around 75-80 degrees. I am not sure what else to do at this point to get him interested in food. I weighed him earlier today and he was 23g. Im not quite sure how old he is and if thats an ok weight for him since hes not eating. I also took him to the vet. The vet said that he wasnt impacted and he didnt have parasites. The vet gave him a vitamin B shot. The next day he had only eaten about 5 to 6 roaches. And that's about it. Any help would suffice. If you would like to see what his enclosure looks like just ask. Thank you.
Flukers makes an insectivore appetite stimulant, it's supposed to do wonders for them.

Peacheless

Hatchling Dragon
Update: Still waiting on the BSFL and UVB light. The light should be here by Sunday. The BSFL is taking a minute to get here. But I was able feed him 4-5 small dubia roaches. He didn't seem to care to eat anymore after that.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update: Still waiting on the BSFL and UVB light. The light should be here by Sunday. The BSFL is taking a minute to get here. But I was able feed him 4-5 small dubia roaches. He didn't seem to care to eat anymore after that.
Good he's eating

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah. He decided he didn't want to eat today. But today while I was sitting on the couch watching tv. He decided he wanted to head Bob at me. I thought that was Interesting.
Mating and showing dominance -

Astrids Ma n Pa

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I posted regarding my bearded dragon Red a few weeks ago. I am here to give an update on the situation. He still is not eating. I have gotten a better heating lamp. I have also gotten a better UVB light. Speciffically a REPTI ZOO T5 10.0 HO UVB. The humidity in the enclosure stays between 30-40%. His basking spot ranges from 95-100 degrees. His cool area is around 75-80 degrees. I am not sure what else to do at this point to get him interested in food. I weighed him earlier today and he was 23g. Im not quite sure how old he is and if thats an ok weight for him since hes not eating. I also took him to the vet. The vet said that he wasnt impacted and he didnt have parasites. The vet gave him a vitamin B shot. The next day he had only eaten about 5 to 6 roaches. And that's about it. Any help would suffice. If you would like to see what his enclosure looks like just ask. Thank you.
Hello, i am not very well versed with Bearded dragons, but i have had many types of pets. cats, dogs, rats, snakes, hamsters, fish, bunny, Guinee pig, snapper turtles, i just recently got my first Beardie about 2 weeks ago. She is a little over 2 months, if you can get a measurement from head to end of tail you can get an idea of Reds approximate age. 3-4 inches is around 1 month, 5-9 in is about 2 months, 8-11 is about 3 months, 9-12 is about 4 months. when i first got Astrid she wasnt very good at chasing/hunting crickets, i got small so that they were not bigger than the distance between her eyes. after too many crickets getting away and trying to take over i started to remove one leg from the crickets and place them close to her, once they would try and move she would get it. it takes time but i did this one at a time until she no longer showed any interest in them. i found it to be much easier to hand feed her worms, a slight variety between mealworms, a small wax worm and i used tongs for a few small dubia roaches. She would watch for awhile while i was holding a worm in my fingers but with patience she took it directly from me after about5-10 min of getting her attention. Now she is eating 3 times a day from my fingers or tongs. i also noticed that Astrid is much more active when i have her air temp around 110 and about 120 or so directly on her basking rock. If it is to warm they will hold open their mouth to vent some heat out or they will move to a cooler area. Leaving a good salad cut up very small with a variety of greens and veggies and keeping it fresh through out the day, you may not see Red eat it directly but having it there is a good way to give all day access to something healthy. i also use distilled water in my spray bottle and wet the fresh salad to give another supply of water. Astrid is starting to trust me pretty well but also having problems with her left eye, i wrote another post on that. If it was me i would use a small worm and try to keep it close in Reds eyesight, it could take awhile and make your arm tired but if he starts to eat the relief will be worth it. Also ive seen a lot of posts of a nice warm bath in a clean container for 5 to 20 min ( depends on Reds tollerance ) can help with digestion and a good way to get fluids in him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, i am not very well versed with Bearded dragons, but i have had many types of pets. cats, dogs, rats, snakes, hamsters, fish, bunny, Guinee pig, snapper turtles, i just recently got my first Beardie about 2 weeks ago. She is a little over 2 months, if you can get a measurement from head to end of tail you can get an idea of Reds approximate age. 3-4 inches is around 1 month, 5-9 in is about 2 months, 8-11 is about 3 months, 9-12 is about 4 months. when i first got Astrid she wasnt very good at chasing/hunting crickets, i got small so that they were not bigger than the distance between her eyes. after too many crickets getting away and trying to take over i started to remove one leg from the crickets and place them close to her, once they would try and move she would get it. it takes time but i did this one at a time until she no longer showed any interest in them. i found it to be much easier to hand feed her worms, a slight variety between mealworms, a small wax worm and i used tongs for a few small dubia roaches. She would watch for awhile while i was holding a worm in my fingers but with patience she took it directly from me after about5-10 min of getting her attention. Now she is eating 3 times a day from my fingers or tongs. i also noticed that Astrid is much more active when i have her air temp around 110 and about 120 or so directly on her basking rock. If it is to warm they will hold open their mouth to vent some heat out or they will move to a cooler area. Leaving a good salad cut up very small with a variety of greens and veggies and keeping it fresh through out the day, you may not see Red eat it directly but having it there is a good way to give all day access to something healthy. i also use distilled water in my spray bottle and wet the fresh salad to give another supply of water. Astrid is starting to trust me pretty well but also having problems with her left eye, i wrote another post on that. If it was me i would use a small worm and try to keep it close in Reds eyesight, it could take awhile and make your arm tired but if he starts to eat the relief will be worth it. Also ive seen a lot of posts of a nice warm bath in a clean container for 5 to 20 min ( depends on Reds tollerance ) can help with digestion and a good way to get fluids in him.
You want surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - 120 or so directly on her basking rock is too hot--- are your dragons housed together? If so please separate them as soon as possible --- dragons are territorial and one will become dominant and if they are both males they will fight-- or by the time they are 7 months or so they will breed which is NOT good -- please start a new post so I dont get confused as to whom I am talking to ---- if your having issues w/ the dragons eyes it could be wrong UVB bulb a coil will do that or off colored yellowish or day time bulbs will also do that or substrate --- please start a new thread and post pic of the tank please

Peacheless

Hatchling Dragon
You want surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - 120 or so directly on her basking rock is too hot--- are your dragons housed together? If so please separate them as soon as possible --- dragons are territorial and one will become dominant and if they are both males they will fight-- or by the time they are 7 months or so they will breed which is NOT good -- please start a new post so I dont get confused as to whom I am talking to ---- if your having issues w/ the dragons eyes it could be wrong UVB bulb a coil will do that or off colored yellowish or day time bulbs will also do that or substrate --- please start a new thread and post pic of the tank please
UPDATE: I finally got the correct UVB bulb Sunday and put that into his enclosure. Also the BSFL came in this morning, I put about 5 into his salad and he went right for them. I noticed he wasnt paying too much attention to the salad so I just started hand feeding him the BSFL. In total he ate about 11. I read online to feed him about 20 per day. 2-3 times a day.So I was gonna wait till the next feeding to feed him some more. He seems to really like them. I'm so glad hes eating!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UPDATE: I finally got the correct UVB bulb Sunday and put that into his enclosure. Also the BSFL came in this morning, I put about 5 into his salad and he went right for them. I noticed he wasnt paying too much attention to the salad so I just started hand feeding him the BSFL. In total he ate about 11. I read online to feed him about 20 per day. 2-3 times a day.So I was gonna wait till the next feeding to feed him some more. He seems to really like them. I'm so glad hes eating!
You want him to eat some of that salad so drop them in front of him onto the salad like 20 at a time- they are small so he will eat alot of them and they are a good staple feeder --- you can add dubias to the salad too after hes eaten some of the BSFL ---- did you replace the bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5?

Peacheless

Hatchling Dragon
You want him to eat some of that salad so drop them in front of him onto the salad like 20 at a time- they are small so he will eat alot of them and they are a good staple feeder --- you can add dubias to the salad too after hes eaten some of the BSFL ---- did you replace the bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5?
I put them in the salad as well. He just seems to move it around to get to the BSFL. And yes I did get that bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so make sure your basking decor is directly under the UVB 12-15 inches---- how is the basking going under that bulb now?

Shranda

Bearded Dragon Egg
Flukers makes an insectivore appetite stimulant, it's supposed to do wonders for them.
have you heard of Beardy Gold? its a 100% nutritionally complete slurry mix for bearded dragons. My beardy loves it! It contains powdered crickets and 12 different types of fruits and vegetables that beardies love. It keeps them healthy and strong. You can find it on Etsy. Just do a search under bearded dragons. It is really great stuff for your beardy.

Peacheless

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so make sure your basking decor is directly under the UVB 12-15 inches---- how is the basking going under that bulb now?
Update: He's been basking really good. He has also been eating a lot lately. Before he started eating well I weighed him and he was about 20-21g. I weighed him this morning and now he is 25g. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. But im glad hes eating and seems to be gaining weight.