• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon help. (not eating or drinking)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Running 2 90w hallogen flood lights for the basking/hot side
Please take the big log and move it so its under the UVB - at this point it looks like its too high for distance - you want a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches - what are your surface basking temps now?

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Please take the big log and move it so its under the UVB - at this point it looks like its too high for distance - you want a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches - what are your surface basking temps now?
The very top of the basking rock is 113F but drops to 95 lower

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
I have one of those uv index meters at the bottom of the log it's about 4.5 and goes up to 6.7 towards the center of it

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have one of those uv index meters at the bottom of the log it's about 4.5 and goes up to 6.7 towards the center of it
ok so those are not very accurate - there is a guy on another forum that tests those card and meters etc along w/ MVB's and he has reported that they are not accurate - solar meters are the best to use here is the one that is recommended https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GXJFJG

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Since It is a new tank for him do I give him time to adjust before handling him again outside of tank? Or is it okay to do so now?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since It is a new tank for him do I give him time to adjust before handling him again outside of tank? Or is it okay to do so now?
I would give him a few days to settle in his new tank - they go thru relocation stress that is normal -

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
I would give him a few days to settle in his new tank - they go thru relocation stress that is normal -
Idk if the back wall of the zen tank is reflective but my beardie keeps looking at it and scratching it.

Attachments

• 20230122_091539.jpg
    20230122_091539.jpg
    840.1 KB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Idk if the back wall of the zen tank is reflective but my beardie keeps looking at it and scratching it.
This is normal - mine does the same thing -- it usually means they want out -- which mine has been doing the zoomies in the tank - I call it spring fever -- out for 2 hrs and hes fine after I put him back in the tank

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
This is normal - mine does the same thing -- it usually means they want out -- which mine has been doing the zoomies in the tank - I call it spring fever -- out for 2 hrs and hes fine after I put him back in the tank
ah , I'll take him out, kind of worried me, he's back to not eating was starting to eat these past few days but now he just licks his food but doesn't eat it. I was trying to make a daily schedule for him but he only eats like 1-2 times a week or so

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ah , I'll take him out, kind of worried me, he's back to not eating was starting to eat these past few days but now he just licks his food but doesn't eat it. I was trying to make a daily schedule for him but he only eats like 1-2 times a week or so
Could be the relocation stress could be the weather - they tend to slow down on their appetites in the winter time - is he eating good w/ the one to two times per week

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Could be the relocation stress could be the weather - they tend to slow down on their appetites in the winter time - is he eating good w/ the one to two times per week
He eats about 5-7 dubias the times he does decide to eat. Completely denies his greens though.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He eats about 5-7 dubias the times he does decide to eat. Completely denies his greens though.
Does he normally eat greens ? hes filling up on roaches -- if hes 8 months old he should be getting insects every day and salads as well --- but you want him eating salads too -- have you ever fed him BSFL?

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Does he normally eat greens ? hes filling up on roaches -- if hes 8 months old he should be getting insects every day and salads as well --- but you want him eating salads too -- have you ever fed him BSFL?
Ever since I took him in he hasn't ate any greens, previous owner said that he had him on a dubia/greens diet with the occasional worm as a treat, he has only eaten dubias and crickets with me. No worms/greens and no I haven't fed him BSFL

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ever since I took him in he hasn't ate any greens, previous owner said that he had him on a dubia/greens diet with the occasional worm as a treat, he has only eaten dubias and crickets with me. No worms/greens and no I haven't fed him BSFL
Ok so lets try some BSFL large from here www.symtonbsf.com - use them as a lure to the salad bowl they are another staple feeder - feed as many as you want - do not dust them just the dubias/ crickets - try some hornworms small amounts of them they grow fast - I would start out w/ medium - you can also get some super worms - put those all on your salads - like 1-2 supers and 1 hornworm-- you are going to need a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
or similar to - they will keep the BSFL in - hornworms stick to everything - feed salads first thing in the morning- feed your staple feeder after he has had time to eat from that bowl --

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so lets try some BSFL large from here www.symtonbsf.com - use them as a lure to the salad bowl they are another staple feeder - feed as many as you want - do not dust them just the dubias/ crickets - try some hornworms small amounts of them they grow fast - I would start out w/ medium - you can also get some super worms - put those all on your salads - like 1-2 supers and 1 hornworm-- you are going to need a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
or similar to - they will keep the BSFL in - hornworms stick to everything - feed salads first thing in the morning- feed your staple feeder after he has had time to eat from that bowl --
I will go ahead and order some bsfl I have some small horn worms right now that he just licks but doesnt eat, he doesn't like chasing the food only tong fed atleast the tames he has ate I had to tong feed each single dubia.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will go ahead and order some bsfl I have some small horn worms right now that he just licks but doesnt eat, he doesn't like chasing the food only tong fed atleast the tames he has ate I had to tong feed each single dubia.
Oh my that is not good - he needs to learn to eat out of his bowl -- and that I am not sure how to fix that -

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Oh my that is not good - he needs to learn to eat out of his bowl -- and that I am not sure how to fix that -
I will keep trying to teach him, I came back in and he seemed to be asleep about 3.5hrs before his lights out today

Attachments

• 20230122_153520.jpg
    20230122_153520.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will keep trying to teach him, I came back in and he seemed to be asleep about 3.5hrs before his lights out today
Ok - watch his weight- it's good he's eating but you want him eating salads too

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Ok - watch his weight- it's good he's eating but you want him eating salads too
quick update on the BSFL he seems to really like them, so so far so good, I leave them in his bowl and I have to walk away and he goes and eats them from there, still trying to get him to eat his salads, he took some bites of some collard greens today but he still doesnt seem to like them. also wondering how much direct uvb beardies actually need he doesnt go under his uvb that often today he spent about an hour or two under it but then some days he doesnt go under it. he also like to glass surf quite a bit, I take him out but then he wants to go back in just to start glass surfing again with his enclosure opened.

Latest posts