• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon help. (not eating or drinking)

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
I took in an 8 month old bearded dragon being rehomed about 10 days ago, I have never owned one before, he came in a 40 gallon tank 36x18x18 with a 100w heat lamp and an arcadia Ho t5 12% that are both placed ontop of the tank, basking rock temp is around 93-100F (measured with an infrared digital thermometer gun) cool side temp is 80F humidity is about 55% on cool side and 44% on warm side during the day. humidity and temps are measured with 2 digital thermometer+hygrometer on both sides of the tank. He has only eaten about 3 times in these 10 days and only ate about 2 dubias each time and hasn't been drinking any water, Ive been trying to feed him greens. collard greens, turnip greens but wont eat them also tried adding some bee pollen on them but still didnt work, have tried to feed him crickets, wax worms, and some meal worms but he didnt eat them either he has also only pooped twice. I've given him a bath to try and get him to drink some water everyday but he doesnt seem to like it he just freezes in place when placed in the water and doesnt drink any. I want to make sure his setup is correct and make sure he is healthy and receiving everything he needs but dont have much experience just been researching online, I dont know if he has any problems or if he is healthy right now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I took in an 8 month old bearded dragon being rehomed about 10 days ago, I have never owned one before, he came in a 40 gallon tank 36x18x18 with a 100w heat lamp and an arcadia Ho t5 12% that are both placed ontop of the tank, basking rock temp is around 93-100F (measured with an infrared digital thermometer gun) cool side temp is 80F humidity is about 55% on cool side and 44% on warm side during the day. humidity and temps are measured with 2 digital thermometer+hygrometer on both sides of the tank. He has only eaten about 3 times in these 10 days and only ate about 2 dubias each time and hasn't been drinking any water, Ive been trying to feed him greens. collard greens, turnip greens but wont eat them also tried adding some bee pollen on them but still didnt work, have tried to feed him crickets, wax worms, and some meal worms but he didnt eat them either he has also only pooped twice. I've given him a bath to try and get him to drink some water everyday but he doesnt seem to like it he just freezes in place when placed in the water and doesnt drink any. I want to make sure his setup is correct and make sure he is healthy and receiving everything he needs but dont have much experience just been researching online, I dont know if he has any problems or if he is healthy right now.
The person you got him from was on par w / the whole set up-- we need to see tho about the placement for the UVB - is the screen a wide hole type or a fine mesh like a screen door ? this is crucial for the UVB rays effectiveness --- the dragon is going thru relocation stress so its good he is eating as he adjust to his new surroundings his appetite will increase but we must get the UVB placed correctly- how old is the UVB? they need to be replaced once a year I recommend every 10-11 months -- they dont need water every day ---- I would offer him water every 10 days to 2 weeks and drop it on his nose see if he will lick it off -- keep dropping till he quits licking or moves away- please rinse your greens before serving he will get moisture from them - also make sure your gut loading the insects at nite w/ good food and hydration as they will get some hydration thru them -- wax worms are like candy feed sparingly too many will / can cause liver issues
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated
I would look at upgrading to a 120 gallon for him soon -- please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - IR guns are good but not the most accurate as they cannot read off of certain basking materials - one being hammocks - does the hygrometer / thermometer have probes on them?

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
The person you got him from was on par w / the whole set up-- we need to see tho about the placement for the UVB - is the screen a wide hole type or a fine mesh like a screen door ? this is crucial for the UVB rays effectiveness --- the dragon is going thru relocation stress so its good he is eating as he adjust to his new surroundings his appetite will increase but we must get the UVB placed correctly- how old is the UVB? they need to be replaced once a year I recommend every 10-11 months -- they dont need water every day ---- I would offer him water every 10 days to 2 weeks and drop it on his nose see if he will lick it off -- keep dropping till he quits licking or moves away- please rinse your greens before serving he will get moisture from them - also make sure your gut loading the insects at nite w/ good food and hydration as they will get some hydration thru them -- wax worms are like candy feed sparingly too many will / can cause liver issues
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated
I would look at upgrading to a 120 gallon for him soon -- please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps - IR guns are good but not the most accurate as they cannot read off of certain basking materials - one being hammocks - does the hygrometer / thermometer have probes on them?

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
The screen seems to be fine mesh, the uvb light had just been purchased like a week old, the hygrometer/thermometer are all digital with sensors no probes, I will try and work on upgrading to a 120 gallon for him soon.

Attachments

• 20230114_122137.jpg
    20230114_122137.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230114_122105.jpg
    20230114_122105.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230114_122057.jpg
    20230114_122057.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The screen seems to be fine mesh, the uvb light had just been purchased like a week old, the hygrometer/thermometer are all digital with sensors no probes, I will try and work on upgrading to a 120 gallon for him soon.
Your screen is a wide hole type so it can stay on top - make sure your basking decor is directly underneath it approx 8-10 inches -- the bulb will need to be replaced in about 10-11 months from install -- please get two digital probe thermometers the ones you have are giving ambient temps - you want one w/ probes so you can place them on the spot where he basks thats going to give you surface basking temps - I recommend a digital probe hygrometer as well - that probe needs to sit on the back center wall of the tank - it will read the whole tank - Exo Terra makes the hygrometer and you can get the digital probes like from Zoo Med on line or in Petco or Pet Smart - they are cheaper on line

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Your screen is a wide hole type so it can stay on top - make sure your basking decor is directly underneath it approx 8-10 inches -- the bulb will need to be replaced in about 10-11 months from install -- please get two digital probe thermometers the ones you have are giving ambient temps - you want one w/ probes so you can place them on the spot where he basks thats going to give you surface basking temps - I recommend a digital probe hygrometer as well - that probe needs to sit on the back center wall of the tank - it will read the whole tank - Exo Terra makes the hygrometer and you can get the digital probes like from Zoo Med on line or in Petco or Pet Smart - they are cheaper on line
Thanks, I will go ahead and get some digital probe hygrometers and thermometers. I also just ordered the 120 gallon enclosure from zen.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, I will go ahead and get some digital probe hygrometers and thermometers. I also just ordered the 120 gallon enclosure from zen.
Oh good you will like the Zen's I have 2 of them -- did you get the black floor mat that they have? You want something on the bottom of the tank -- they are slippery w/ the bamboo bottoms

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Oh good you will like the Zen's I have 2 of them -- did you get the black floor mat that they have? You want something on the bottom of the tank -- they are slippery w/ the bamboo bottoms
I didn't get the mat, was thinking of adding some tile to the floor like it's current enclosure has or would it not be ideal?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I didn't get the mat, was thinking of adding some tile to the floor like it's current enclosure has or would it not be ideal?
I did have all tile but its so hard my dragons were sitting on the tile most of the time they like the floor even tho I have several pieces for them to get off the floor - I ended up ordering the the mat and still kept two pieces in the tank so it can keep the nails down -- they are still sitting on the floor and do use the decor pieces as well but mainly like the floor -- I dont know why- they use the cave piece to sit on when under their UVB-- I can post pics of the tanks if you like

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
I did have all tile but its so hard my dragons were sitting on the tile most of the time they like the floor even tho I have several pieces for them to get off the floor - I ended up ordering the the mat and still kept two pieces in the tank so it can keep the nails down -- they are still sitting on the floor and do use the decor pieces as well but mainly like the floor -- I dont know why- they use the cave piece to sit on when under their UVB-- I can post pics of the tanks if you like
Yes pictures would be awesome please

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Blazes tank --Hiccups tank

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 19
  • New substrate Hiccup 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Hiccup 9-30-22.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 19

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Blazes tank --Hiccups tank
They look amazing, I will see if I can get the mat aswell. Would the current uvb light I have be enough to hang inside that zen enclosure or would a larger one be needed? Also was thinking about getting some slate is it good for them or will it get to hot?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They look amazing, I will see if I can get the mat aswell. Would the current uvb light I have be enough to hang inside that zen enclosure or would a larger one be needed? Also was thinking about getting some slate is it good for them or will it get to hot?
Your uvb is good- no longer- he needs to be able to get out of those rays w/ out having to hide from them-- slate tends to get hot - I would stay away from it- you can find rocks outside just bake them in the oven for like 15 min on 250-

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Sadie, in your setup I see you are using 3 lamps are they 2 basking lamps for basking spot and a CHE for middle? Or are all 3 basking lights?
I have 3 basking lights- I do have a che but only use it at night when temps are below zero here in MN - my tanks stay house temp at night which is around 68-70- you can't see the che it's behind the middle basking bulb--

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
I have 3 basking lights- I do have a che but only use it at night when temps are below zero here in MN - my tanks stay house temp at night which is around 68-70- you can't see the che it's behind the middle basking bulb--
Are 3 basking lights necessary for the 4x2 or is 1 enough? Also what wattage bulbs do you recommend using? My zen 4x2 is arriving tomorrow just want to make sure I setup everything correctly.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are 3 basking lights necessary for the 4x2 or is 1 enough? Also what wattage bulbs do you recommend using? My zen 4x2 is arriving tomorrow just want to make sure I setup everything correctly.
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers - you want one for your surface basking temps-- that's going to tell you what wattage you need- I have one 150 watt and one 75 watt on the hot side- the middle of the tank is a 75 watt keeping that area around 90's-- there are different temps in the hot side - temps are taken w/ a probe and ir gun -

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers - you want one for your surface basking temps-- that's going to tell you what wattage you need- I have one 150 watt and one 75 watt on the hot side- the middle of the tank is a 75 watt keeping that area around 90's-- there are different temps in the hot side - temps are taken w/ a probe and ir gun -
Thanks, I have the 2 digital probe thermometers and the digital probe hygrometer ready to install once the tank comes in. I will monitor the temps and adjust accordingly then.

Arcane

Hatchling Dragon
Finally got the new tank up and running

Attachments

• 20230121_103700.jpg
    20230121_103700.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13