• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Backyard pics....

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee gave me an idea....so I figured I'd start a thread for us all to show off our backyards. So, come on, Renee....lets see some pics. ;)

Bev and I have been working on our pond for about 4 years (due to the swimming pool deciding it no longer wanted to exist in our backyard). There are two levels, one upper and one lower. It's 600g in all. I have a 2400gph pump that sends water to a 20g filter (filled with water iris). This filter feeds the upper pond. There's a line that gravity feeds water from the upper pond to a small 3-tier waterfall...and from there, the water falls into the lower pond. The system works very well....and brings us lots of joy. Especially on nice evenings when it isn't too hot outside.

We recently planted some new perennials and are waiting for them to get fully established. One I really want to plant this fall to have ready for next spring is Echinacea. It's Bev's favorite. She bought a couple earlier this year only for them to die within three days of me planting them....and I think they were already dying the day she brought them home. She just didn't realize it. I believe the place she bought them from overwatered them...which is not good for coneflowers.

I'm in the process of putting in another large perennial garden in the backyard. Eventually, I'd like to get to where I hardly have any grass left back there. The older I get, the more I hate mowing! LOL!

I built a hammock stand for her hammock, too, but I can't find pics of it right now.

Anyway, here are pics of the pond.

This is just a bouquet of flowers from our yard that I hand-picked for Bev. I tend to surprise her every now and then with something like this or something I buy on the way home from work. Either way, it's the times when they least expect it that mean the most. :)

Bouquet.jpg

This one shows Bev planting some perennials in the spring. It also gives you an idea of the size of our pond area....which I hope to continue growing. Eventually, I'd like to eliminate most all the grass in my backyard.

Pond1-1.jpg

Pond10.jpg

This is what she was planting.

Pond11.jpg

Pond15.jpg

Pond13.jpg

Pond9.jpg

Pond8.jpg

Pond7.jpg

Pond6-1.jpg

Pond5-1.jpg

A close-up of the filter. I put in the waterfall feeding the upper pond this spring.

Pond4-1.jpg

Pond3.jpg

Here's the waterfall feeding the lower pond.

Pond2-3.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very nice. Love the mixture of rock formations with the wild flowers.

I'll have to get the weeds tamed (took a week off of weeding) and then I'll see what I can come up with. We've focused on the back a lot this year. I received rose bushes as my 1st two mother's day gifts. I love them. One is done blooming for now, it was a beautiful purple. But one of them has started blooming again. I have a hubiscus that is 5 years old! And just bought a new tree that is coming out of shock. It looks like we might lose 3 mini-azalea bushes. :'( We need rain soooooooo much.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I love your backyard.. Mine currently is concrete and raised garden beds. Our garage is a drive through one so we wanted lots of concrete. This was before we realized concrete is HOT in the summers. lol This house was supposed to be as maintanence free as possible but I keep changing things. Right now I am putting in a new front yard. Part is rock and tons of bark and a small grassy area. I will plant the grass this fall.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As promised:

DSC_1661.jpg

My 5 year old:

DSC_1659.jpg

Please ignore the weeds.

DSC_1662.jpg

Our dying azaleas:

DSC_1664.jpg

New tree:

DSC_1666.jpg

Hubby and kids cleaned up the evergreens to give a whole area to explore by the fence. We've seen frogs and love hunting for acorns back here:

DSC_1670.jpg

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice pics, Renee. I've got some tea roses on the east side of my house, but I haven't cared for them too much over the last few years.

Hate to see that your azaleas aren't making it. Any idea why? Are they getting too much sun?

The 5-year-old....is that a Bradford Pear? And what's the tree with the yellow flowers? I want to say Hibiscus, but not sure.

The contrast of the white path in the black rock looks nice.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks, Craig! Our backyard is rectangular and it was difficult getting shots.

We haven't had decent rain in weeks. It was like overnight when we noticed they were dried up. We're out there every day. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will pull through, they are pretty old. I did see a cat in our backyard the other day. Don't know if they could damage them. I was not happy about the cat. We have a dirt pit for the boys to play in and that is where I saw the cat.

They are both hibiscus trees - the 5 year old and the new one. The 5 year old just finished blooming, but I have new buds developing.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay....1 out of 2 ain't bad. I wasn't totally for sure on the first tree.

Cats and azaleas....we've got a cat in our backyard and two azaleas and they're flourishing pretty well. So I'm not sure the cat would have hurt them, but not sure. We've had quite a bit of rain all year (in fact, our rivers are all at flood stage). Plus, Bev waters ours daily. So that might be the difference.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok. They were here when we moved in, 5 years ago. They bloomed beautiful this year. Send some of your rain over here. We're tired of watering. I have green squash and cucumbers in the veggie garden this year. And we transplanted 2 other plants this year that are watered, but rain water does so much better for them.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Honestly, I wish I COULD send some of this rain your way. I have a plastic food-grade barrel I just bought to use for a rain barrel. I keep kicking myself for not having it already installed. Then, with surgery next week, it looks like it'll be a good month before I get around to it.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We've been talking about getting a rain barrel. Let me know how it goes if it works out before surgery. Wow, next week? This month has flown by. Good luck with all of that.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks. We're going to be rather busy this weekend, so I doubt I'll be able to get to it before surgery. I'll definitely let you know how it goes once I have it together. Shouldn't be too hard. I'll have it installed before fall.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Craig, as usual you and Bev did a wonderful job on the pond this year. Beautiful.
Renee...love the flowers...gorgeous.
I'll get a pic of my front yard. Not beautiful, but colorful and neat. My backyard...well it is just plain dead, lol! Pic to come.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my backyard is dead too. the people who lived here before us never raked and had 3 big dogs that were in the yard too much. We are slooooooowly getting grass back but it is still bad.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well my backyard is realy DEAD. Its the middle of winter LOL
So you guys will have to wait about 3 months before I can get nice spring pics with the peaches / apricots and everything blooming.

Ric

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Love the pond. You think like my mother. She's working on making everything a flower bed and only about 1/3 of the yard total is grass now. I wish she had done it when I was a kid. That yard was a three hour job with a push mower. She finally got the garden beautiful award a couple of years ago and has been in a couple of magazines.

I spent so much on plants last year! The yard was going to be gorgeous. I seeded and made a couple of beds and started working on a path. It was going so nice. Then 105+ degree days for three months and two litters of foster puppies and nothing is left except for one day lilly. This year I did nothing and am back to dirt.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ric said:
Love the pond. You think like my mother. She's working on making everything a flower bed and only about 1/3 of the yard total is grass now. I wish she had done it when I was a kid. That yard was a three hour job with a push mower. She finally got the garden beautiful award a couple of years ago and has been in a couple of magazines.

I spent so much on plants last year! The yard was going to be gorgeous. I seeded and made a couple of beds and started working on a path. It was going so nice. Then 105+ degree days for three months and two litters of foster puppies and nothing is left except for one day lilly. This year I did nothing and am back to dirt.

Thanks Ric.

Hate to hear that all that work and money went for nothing. We spent 13 years of our life, here, with a medium-sized dog that lived in our backyard. Since she's been gone, we've been working at trying to get it up to par. Still have LONG way to go, but it's a lot better than it was.

And thanks Lisa! Looking forward to your pics!

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Great pics Craig and Renee!
I will see if I can find anything decent of pictures for ours.

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The front of our house
072410house1.jpg

The creek in the back yard, trying to come up and visit our yard
072410house2.jpg

Here is what the creek looks like whn it is not trying to climb into our yard
072410house3.jpg

From the creek, looking back up at the house
072410house6.jpg

But my favorite part, and the part that most of our neighbors do not even know exist, even though it is about 5 feet from the road (our road is a small neighborhood rd, about 10 houses, no lines even painted
lying behind these bushes

072410house5.jpg

Is this
072410house8.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sweet, Jiffy. Very jealous of the pool and gorgeous lawn. Do you have any weeds or crabgrass? We're working on our lawn; it's coming along slow.