• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice Please (hump on back?)

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so that is good- is the hump/ bump getting bigger? You may need to get him into a reptile vet---- heres a website to find one -- if your in a small area / town type in a bigger cities website closest to you
www.arav.org
in the meantime I want Tracie to take a look to see what she thinks
His tail looks good - its thick / fat
@Drache613
It's not a hump as such ,rather than his spine sloping down into his tail , his spine seems to stop in front of his legs then suddenly slope down into his tail.I ve looked at old pics and it's always been a bit like it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's not a hump as such ,rather than his spine sloping down into his tail , his spine seems to stop in front of his legs then suddenly slope down into his tail.I ve looked at old pics and it's always been a bit like it.
Ok yeah I was noticing that too -- is it a possible injury from when he was a baby -- I will have the vet tech take a look at it -- I have flagged her

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Your lighting should be good! So his spine has always had a slight slope to it since he was younger?
If it seems like it has possibly gotten a bit worse, you could consider getting him on a liquid calcium for
maintenance, in case he needs a boost for awhile.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Your lighting should be good! So his spine has always had a slight slope to it since he was younger?
If it seems like it has possibly gotten a bit worse, you could consider getting him on a liquid calcium for
maintenance, in case he needs a boost for awhile.
How is he doing today?

Tracie
He is OK, I have liquid calcium but have trouble getting him to drink it,

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That's great, hopefully that will help out. How are you trying to get the liquid calcium into him?
It is usually easiest to use either a plastic dropper dripping it onto the end of his nose.
Has he been basking for most of the day? You could also drip some of the calcium onto his
greens or insects, if that might be easier for him.

Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

How is he doing today? Have you been able to get the calcium into him yet?
Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

How is he doing today? Have you been able to get the calcium into him yet?
Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie
Hi,since his cage adjustments he has just sat in his house with his head sticking out, I got a little calcium liquid in him and he came out for some food which I dusted with calcium powder but he is nt very lively.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,since his cage adjustments he has just sat in his house with his head sticking out, I got a little calcium liquid in him and he came out for some food which I dusted with calcium powder but he is nt very lively.
Its the weather and that time of year --- mine are doing the same thing sitting in their caves/ hides w/ the head poked out --- Hiccup came out yesterday and basked and I gave him a bath offering water and getting a weight on him - he has lost 2 grams from about 3 weeks ago - Blaze the same thing - hes lost 4 grams - since I had him out 3 weeks ago - just keep an eye on him and if hes eating and moving around he should be fine --

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, it's been almost a year since you last helped me, I am a little concerned as spike is spending all his time inside his house, he comes out to eat and for the odd look around but goes straight back in his house ,I am concerned as he is not getting the uv he needs .He used to vote out in my room and explore but is no longer interested ,he just goes back to his enclosure, nothing has happened to scare him or stress him, could he be bored or depressed?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, it's been almost a year since you last helped me, I am a little concerned as spike is spending all his time inside his house, he comes out to eat and for the odd look around but goes straight back in his house ,I am concerned as he is not getting the uv he needs .He used to vote out in my room and explore but is no longer interested ,he just goes back to his enclosure, nothing has happened to scare him or stress him, could he be bored or depressed?
Sounds like he is slowing down - does he usually brumate? We are going into fall and they will slow down this time of year -- are all your temps in the tank up to par along w/ the UVB bulb? Its not expired is it?

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
I am in the UK, it is end of summer here, lighting is all upto date.He has never brumnated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am in the UK, it is end of summer here, lighting is all upto date.He has never brumnated.
Ok sounds like a slowing period - get a weight on him - weigh in grams - if hes is losing weight then I would get a fecal into the vet for parasite test - make sure he stays hydrated - his poops will tell you if he is -- he knows what he needs of his lighting -- just keep an eye on him and his behavior

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Since he does seem healthy & is alert when he is awake, it does sound like he
is slowing down which is very normal this time of year.
For now, I would monitor his weight & his body condition to be sure he isn't losing weight while he is slown
down. He will eventually come out of his slown down phase.

Tracie

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Since he does seem healthy & is alert when he is awake, it does sound like he
is slowing down which is very normal this time of year.
For now, I would monitor his weight & his body condition to be sure he isn't losing weight while he is slown
down. He will eventually come out of his slown down phase.

Tracie
Hi,
My beautiful beardie spike came out of his slowing down stage a week ago and is now more energetic than ever. He Is coming out exploring, climbing and back to his old self, I was worried and convinced that he was older than I was told , it's a huge relief. thanks for the advice.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Wow, that is very good news to hear. So, is he over his injury per say since he is moving around now? I'm happy to hear he didn't get any permanent injury from the incident.
Feel free to post more pictures if you would like.

Tracie

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
He still has a hump on his lower back but it doesn't bother him and he is getting his supplements and the correct lighting.

Attachments

• 20231218_132114.jpg
    20231218_132114.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

He looks pretty chipper right there, & happy also.
Has he improved quite a bit? I hope that the hump will continue to go down. Sometimes it just
doesn't but it can diminish over time.
Is he eating normally?

Tracie

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

He looks pretty chipper right there, & happy also.
Has he improved quite a bit? I hope that the hump will continue to go down. Sometimes it just
doesn't but it can diminish over time.
Is he eating normally?

Tracie
He is actually going through a spell of not eating but he does that every now and again, he is pooping more often , he usually does a huge poop every week or so but is now doing tiny ones more often.His energy is high and he seems really happy and interested in everything.

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
He is actually going through a spell of not eating but he does that every now and again, he is pooping more often , he usually does a huge poop every week or so but is now doing tiny ones more often.His energy is high and he seems really happy and interested in everything.
Spike has tonight layed 2 eggs, I did wonder as she was shaking her behind every now and again.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Oh, so, Spike is female then? Do you have a laybox for her so she will feel more comfortable
laying?
Be sure to give extra calcium also, to help her body replace the lost calcium through egg laying.
She will probably lay more eggs eventually.

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie