• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice Please (hump on back?)

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, I adopted an unwanted beardie a year ago and he has been good but recently I ve noticed a possible hump in his back ,looking at old pics it's always been there I me just worried it's mbd. He has the correct lighting ,temp and calcium powder, could I have some thoughts please.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220725-145618_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220725-145618_Photos.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220806_083930.jpg
    20220806_083930.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 97
  • 20221013_113926.jpg
    20221013_113926.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 87

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, I adopted an unwanted beardie a year ago and he has been good but recently I ve noticed a possible hump in his back ,looking at old pics it's always been there I me just worried it's mbd. He has the correct lighting ,temp and calcium powder, could I have some thoughts please.
Please go over the lighting --- UVB coil or tube--- basking surface temps what are they and how are you getting them? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate- you want 2 digital probe thermometers --- the substrate I would change out --- loose substrates harbors bacteria and is hard to clean and can cause impaction - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner where its easier to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- cut to the size of the tank -- insects cannot get underneath -- how big is the tank? It could be MBD can you take a better pic of the hump in question please - we can have Tracie take a look at it she is a vet tech -- I see the tube in the one pic -- is it on the back wall and is it in a fixture w/ a reflector?

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Please go over the lighting --- UVB coil or tube--- basking surface temps what are they and how are you getting them? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate- you want 2 digital probe thermometers --- the substrate I would change out --- loose substrates harbors bacteria and is hard to clean and can cause impaction - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner where its easier to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- cut to the size of the tank -- insects cannot get underneath -- how big is the tank? It could be MBD can you take a better pic of the hump in question please - we can have Tracie take a look at it she is a vet tech -- I see the tube in the one pic -- is it on the back wall and is it in a fixture w/ a reflector?
Hi thanks,
Vivarium: 4fx2fx2f
UV: Arcadia 34" 12% fluorescent strip tube across the back of his Vivarium
Exo Terra day light basking spot light .
I use 3 digital temperature probes, his basking spot is 38deg on one side of his Vivarium and the cool side is 24deg. He has a shelf with is 28 deg.I use Repti calcium powder with D3 twice a week .

Attachments

• 20221013_165440.jpg
    20221013_165440.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 20221013_164832.jpg
    20221013_164832.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 20221013_164825.jpg
    20221013_164825.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 54

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi thanks,
Vivarium: 4fx2fx2f
UV: Arcadia 34" 12% fluorescent strip tube across the back of his Vivarium
Exo Terra day light basking spot light .
I use 3 digital temperature probes, his basking spot is 38deg on one side of his Vivarium and the cool side is 24deg. He has a shelf with is 28 deg.I use Repti calcium powder with D3 twice a week .
Ok everything sounds great --- the UVB is just the bulb? If so please get a fixture / hood w/ a reflector- its going to increase the UV and this is what he needs - the bulb itself is not providing enough UV - then please get it off the back wall if that is where its at and place directly over him 12-15 inches --
I need Tracie to look at the bump
@Drache613

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Ok everything sounds great --- the UVB is just the bulb? If so please get a fixture / hood w/ a reflector- its going to increase the UV and this is what he needs - the bulb itself is not providing enough UV - then please get it off the back wall if that is where its at and place directly over him 12-15 inches --
I need Tracie to look at the bump
@Drache613
Right I ll get a reflector, on the back wall is where it is ,he spends most time on his shelf or Bridge about 6 inches from it ,should I definitely put it on the ceiling?I will change the substrate. Thankyou so much for your advice

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Right I ll get a reflector, on the back wall is where it is ,he spends most time on his shelf or Bridge about 6 inches from it ,should I definitely put it on the ceiling?I will change the substrate. Thankyou so much for your advice
Yes I would put it over him --- w/ the reflector distance should be 12-15 inches -- he should be able to sit directly under it

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Karrie is correct, using a reflector for your tube bulb will help a lot. It needs to be mounted directly overhead
so the UVB will refract directly downward onto your dragon.
The hump is either from impaction, an injury or calcium issues. How long has the hump been present?
I would increase his calcium to 3 times per week, possibly 4 since it is possible he's having calcium trouble.

Tracie

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, he has had the hump since I ve had him it's not impaction as he goes to the toilet regularly, I will follow your advice ,many thanks

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Oh ok, so the hump is probably due to calcium issues previously. If you aren't using a liquid calcium,
that would be a good idea to help out for bone integrity & strength.
Overall is he doing well, moving around & basking normally?

Tracie

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
His activity fluctuates, he will spend days hardly moving then be very active for a few days ,he has regular baths and eats regularly, I was wondering if he may be older than I was told.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His activity fluctuates, he will spend days hardly moving then be very active for a few days ,he has regular baths and eats regularly, I was wondering if he may be older than I was told.
Age could be a question -- I have no idea how to tell how old a dragon is--- please limit the bathing - too many will dry out the scales --- the activity fluctuating is normal --- as long as hes pooping basking eating and active hes good - you can get the liquid calcium on Tracies website - https://bug-de-lite.com/

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Age could be a question -- I have no idea how to tell how old a dragon is--- please limit the bathing - too many will dry out the scales --- the activity fluctuating is normal --- as long as hes pooping basking eating and active hes good - you can get the liquid calcium on Tracies website - https://bug-de-lite.com/
He is nt basking under his lamp he sits on a shelf where its 27degrees, sorry should have said, I have some calcium liquid.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is nt basking under his lamp he sits on a shelf where its 27degrees, sorry should have said, I have some calcium liquid.
Is that the basking area? 27? Or the cool side of the tank? In the pic posted I see a hammock and the basking bulb is that the shelf your talking about? The basking light looks off to me --- what brand are you using and are you getting surface basking temps on that log decor under it?

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
24 degrees below the shelf is the coolest bit, the shelf is top left. The uv in the picture is only in there for today and tomorrow as I ve ordered a new 34" which is what's usually in there. 38 degrees is on the sand below his Exo Terra day glow lamp.

Attachments

• 20221017_172823.jpg
    20221017_172823.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
24 degrees below the shelf is the coolest bit, the shelf is top left. The uv in the picture is only in there for today and tomorrow as I ve ordered a new 34" which is what's usually in there. 38 degrees is on the sand below his Exo Terra day glow lamp.
How long is the tank? You need to raise the basking bulb --- put it directly over the shelf where the CHE is --- take your CHE and place on top of the tank if that is a screen ---- your basking bulb should not be closer than 6" and please take the UVB out --- its not going to hurt him to go a day w/ out it --- the light is shining in his eyes --- you dont want that -- does this Exo Terra day glow lamp have a coating on it called Neodymium? If so please get rid of it --- they cause all kinds of eye issues and this would be a good reason hes not basking along w/ it being in the position its in right now--- you need to get surface basking temps w/ a probe thermometer another good reason hes not basking -- I would look at getting rid of the sand substrate as well --- - it is not very sanitary --- you can replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner found at your local home improvement store or maybe a discount store like Walmart or something like that --- cut to the size of the tank - clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 - insects cannot get underneath it --

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
So put the basking light above his house, (green roof) would that not get too hot as the sand below the light is 38 degrees at present? Put the CHE on top of the cage?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So put the basking light above his house, (green roof) would that not get too hot as the sand below the light is 38 degrees at present? Put the CHE on top of the cage?
You want your basking bulb directly above him at least 6" - the uvb directly above him 12-15 inches for a T 5 - the che on top of screen if that is what it is- I can't tell- or is it a solid top? If it's a solid top you can put in tank in the center- temps at night should be 65-75 if the temp is falling below 65 then you can run it- what is the basking bulb? Does it have the coating I posted about?

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
You want your basking bulb directly above him at least 6" - the uvb directly above him 12-15 inches for a T 5 - the che on top of screen if that is what it is- I can't tell- or is it a solid top? If it's a solid top you can put in tank in the center- temps at night should be 65-75 if the temp is falling below 65 then you can run it- what is the basking bulb? Does it have the coating I posted about?
The tank is 4foot long, the bulb does have the coating on,I ve ordered another without, The tank is 24 " high so how do I put the uv strip and reflector on the ceiling if it's ment to be 12" above?sorry if I sound stupid, and yes it's a CHE ,it's on a thermostat incase the temp drops at night to below 70.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The tank is 4foot long, the bulb does have the coating on,I ve ordered another without, The tank is 24 " high so how do I put the uv strip and reflector on the ceiling if it's ment to be 12" above?sorry if I sound stupid, and yes it's a CHE ,it's on a thermostat incase the temp drops at night to below 70.
Do you have a screen or a solid top? Your tank is tall enough - the UVB should be directly above a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches ---- you want the bulb in a hood / fixture ---- like this https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40657
it comes w/ 5.0 bulb you dont want to use that bulb but the 10.0 bulb you have --- the 5.0 bulb is for aquarium use it can be used as back up but the distance in the tank would need to be closer --- please get a hood / fixture so you can get this off the back wall and directly over him -- you wont be able to hang it in the tank like it should be -- and the basking bulb should be directly above as well --- you dont want any lights shining in his eyes --- please get this stuff fixed -- hes not going to bask correctly if at all w/ it not being corrected

RDT

Hatchling Dragon
Do you have a screen or a solid top? Your tank is tall enough - the UVB should be directly above a piece of basking decor 12-15 inches ---- you want the bulb in a hood / fixture ---- like this https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40657
it comes w/ 5.0 bulb you dont want to use that bulb but the 10.0 bulb you have --- the 5.0 bulb is for aquarium use it can be used as back up but the distance in the tank would need to be closer --- please get a hood / fixture so you can get this off the back wall and directly over him -- you wont be able to hang it in the tank like it should be -- and the basking bulb should be directly above as well --- you dont want any lights shining in his eyes --- please get this stuff fixed -- hes not going to bask correctly if at all w/ it not being corrected