• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

yellow fungus???

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405236595.844681.jpg
back to lounging on her rocks :)

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
Soooooo Yellow Fungus....
Yellow fungus is no bueno. Of course it's a fungus and not a virus and is found in the natural environment sparingly. Once yellow fungus is in a facility/property/colony/ etc. it is next to impossible to eliminate.
Breeders have had to totally move to new facilities and buy all new equipment. No amount of sterilizing a room and equipment will get rid of it.

Once on a bearded dragon the fungus attacks tissues both internally and externally causing tissue deterioration /necropsy. There is no med that cures yellow fungus. There are treatments that can help to reduce it and there have been a few claims of meds and combinations of meds that "cure it". However, to my knowledge none of these actually work.

YF can be internal or external. Often times it is found around the dragon's anus. Sometimes it can be treated to a degree that reduces the necropsy but again, it can not be cured. Luckily YF is fairly rare, I haven't seen it in the message boards or as an issue for several months.

Breeders seem to get the basics of YF due to it's seriousness which has helped to eliminate it's proliferation.

Just as eating fireflies may kill a dragon there are a few serious threats to out there. Bringing up YF tends to panic people. Suddenly, posts of a single freckled scale or a tiny piece of shed get posted as potentially being YF. As with any animal, when something develops that you personally wouldn't want on your own body, you consider taking it to a qualified vet. Sometimes dragons get burnt from sitting too close to basking lights and their scales end up looking YF-ish. I encourage everyone who thinks they have a dragon with YF to wear gloves and isolate the dragon and ALL the equipment associated with it. Unless a vet provides a response dragon ownders who believe they have YF should not have other dragons near the same equipment.

It has been said that there is a connection between using Albon and Yellow Fungus. Some have noted that people who use albon end up having dragons with Y.F. To my knowledge this is still unestablished as a fact but in my opinion is cause for concern.

Latest posts