• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yellow fungus help

Nom Nom

Bearded Dragon Egg
It needs to be directly over the basking decor piece -- did you order the Reptisun 10.0 bulb as well - that fixture will come w/ the 5.0 bulb ? take that bulb out and use the 10.0 bulb -- 12 -15 inches over the basking decor piece - you can hang w/ long plastic zip ties - picture wire hanger-- 3M velcro fasteners -- or fishing line --
I have to double check with my husband about the bulb. I sent him all the information you sent me and he purchased. Thank you for instructions we should be able to do that easily with our enclosure.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

The pain medication should be fine, as it isn't an antibiotic so it shouldn't affect her body like an antibiotic
would.
The scales/skin are definitely improving, that is incredible! I would definitely continue to use the combination
of the silver gel & aloe vera juice, it seems to be working very well!
Is her appetite improving too?

Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Just checking to see how things were going. Ii really ope her wounds are starting to heal up. Keep us
posted on her.

Tracie

Nom Nom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

The pain medication should be fine, as it isn't an antibiotic so it shouldn't affect her body like an antibiotic
would.
The scales/skin are definitely improving, that is incredible! I would definitely continue to use the combination
of the silver gel & aloe vera juice, it seems to be working very well!
Is her appetite improving too?

Tracie
Hi Tracie, Nom Nom really does seem to be improving in a lot of ways. Her appetite has increased but I’m still feeding her. Will will be continuing both silver gel and aloe.

We took her to the vet and we will be switching to voriconazole. she had to get bloodwork which cleared and should be receiving medication today. My husband mentioned to the vet about adverse effects of antibiotics and he did not agree and stated that the anti fungal has been proven to work better in conjunction with antibiotics. I’ve been doing research and I can’t find anything super specific just wondering why exactly are the antibiotics negative? we are totally open to all viewpoints and want to be completely informed properly, we would just like to make decisions for nom nom with ALL relevant information. If you know what I mean.
Thanks

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

The antibiotics don't usually target fungal issues. Medications such as antimicrobials or antibacterial
agents are a bit better. Antibiotics wipe out the normal flora/gut flora in their system & can often cause
yeast or fungal buildup just as it can in people. That can contribute to yellow fungus problems.
I would even recommend trying a probiotic on her too just to help restore the balance in the system for
awhile.
The Voriconazole will be fine, because it specifically targets that type of problem. It isn't really what you
would call an antibiotic but instead an antifungal medication which targets aspergillus & candidus fungus
or yellow fungus. I agree with your husband, in saying the antibiotics are not needed but, the Voriconazole
would be effective alone. It is hard enough on the system just with that one, but adding an antibiotic would
be too much on her kidneys.
Yes, please continue the topical treatments with the silver gel & aloe, daily. Trying to get her internal system
cleared up with the Voriconazole will be challenging but it is probably one of the most commonly used ones
for yellow fungus so that should help a lot. Be sure to keep Nom Nom well hydrated.
I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie

Nom Nom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

The antibiotics don't usually target fungal issues. Medications such as antimicrobials or antibacterial
agents are a bit better. Antibiotics wipe out the normal flora/gut flora in their system & can often cause
yeast or fungal buildup just as it can in people. That can contribute to yellow fungus problems.
I would even recommend trying a probiotic on her too just to help restore the balance in the system for
awhile.
The Voriconazole will be fine, because it specifically targets that type of problem. It isn't really what you
would call an antibiotic but instead an antifungal medication which targets aspergillus & candidus fungus
or yellow fungus. I agree with your husband, in saying the antibiotics are not needed but, the Voriconazole
would be effective alone. It is hard enough on the system just with that one, but adding an antibiotic would
be too much on her kidneys.
Yes, please continue the topical treatments with the silver gel & aloe, daily. Trying to get her internal system
cleared up with the Voriconazole will be challenging but it is probably one of the most commonly used ones
for yellow fungus so that should help a lot. Be sure to keep Nom Nom well hydrated.
I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie
That’s what I thought it was I just wanted to be certain. My family and I are actually not big on antibiotics and take a more holistic approach to our health. We’ve been searching for holistic ways to fight Nom Noms fungus from the beginning but didn’t really find much.
i actually did start her on a probiotic, I purchased it from your site. Which she Loves. Even my cat tries to eat it. I had been looking for a strictly probiotic for nom nom since she got sick but yours was the only one I saw that was actually just a pure probiotic. Before this I had been trying to give her specific foods to build her immunity and natural food probiotics.
Thank you again for all your help. We have another appointment with the vet in 3 weeks. Now that we have everything in place you both recommended, we are just doing our daily taking care and waiting to see if the new medication works. we will also be planning surgery after the checkup. She really does seem to be improving even with her energy level. We can’t thank you ladies enough. I will keep you all posted.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That’s what I thought it was I just wanted to be certain. My family and I are actually not big on antibiotics and take a more holistic approach to our health. We’ve been searching for holistic ways to fight Nom Noms fungus from the beginning but didn’t really find much.
i actually did start her on a probiotic, I purchased it from your site. Which she Loves. Even my cat tries to eat it. I had been looking for a strictly probiotic for nom nom since she got sick but yours was the only one I saw that was actually just a pure probiotic. Before this I had been trying to give her specific foods to build her immunity and natural food probiotics.
Thank you again for all your help. We have another appointment with the vet in 3 weeks. Now that we have everything in place you both recommended, we are just doing our daily taking care and waiting to see if the new medication works. we will also be planning surgery after the checkup. She really does seem to be improving even with her energy level. We can’t thank you ladies enough. I will keep you all posted.
How is nom nom?

Nom Nom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Sadie,
we’ve seen a lot of improvements in nom nom. not sure if you can read my other post but we did go to the vet again and we requested he switch her to voriconazole. She got some bloodwork and her liver still looks good. The fungus is no longer spreading, the silver gel is SO effective it’s amazing. We are seeing chunks of old infected scales come off. We do know she lost her leg. We have another appointment in 2 weeks to see her progress with the new medicine and to discuss surgery to remove all those old scales and leg. Honestly we still have high hopes for her because she is actually becoming more active and still eating. And the vet did not seem so pessimistic this past appointment. Thanks so much for checking in. I’ll be sure to keep you all updated. Hopefully soon i can send a pic with no more fungus on nom nom.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi Sadie,
we’ve seen a lot of improvements in nom nom. not sure if you can read my other post but we did go to the vet again and we requested he switch her to voriconazole. She got some bloodwork and her liver still looks good. The fungus is no longer spreading, the silver gel is SO effective it’s amazing. We are seeing chunks of old infected scales come off. We do know she lost her leg. We have another appointment in 2 weeks to see her progress with the new medicine and to discuss surgery to remove all those old scales and leg. Honestly we still have high hopes for her because she is actually becoming more active and still eating. And the vet did not seem so pessimistic this past appointment. Thanks so much for checking in. I’ll be sure to keep you all updated. Hopefully soon i can send a pic with no more fungus on nom nom.
Yes please keep Tracie and up to date

Nom Nom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello Ladies,
Hope all is well we wanted to give you an update on Nom Nom. We are SO HAPPY to report she is doing SO much better and is in full recovery. Her temperament is just like it useto be before she got sick. In the end we realized Nom Nom had a bacterial infection in addition to the fungus. Since all the changes we did lighting, probiotic, silver gel and a change in medication to voricanozole. All her infected scales have fallen off. She did lose her leg but we knew that and we're supposed to have surgery for it. We will no longer be doing surgery because everything is falling off on it's own. She has only the original growth left but that is also loose and about to fall off. We want to thank you ladies SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP and know that you were a big part in saving Nom Nom.

Attachments

• 2CC15D7C-B480-4FE5-ACBA-3AF489304904.jpeg
    2CC15D7C-B480-4FE5-ACBA-3AF489304904.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 20

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello Ladies,
Hope all is well we wanted to give you an update on Nom Nom. We are SO HAPPY to report she is doing SO much better and is in full recovery. Her temperament is just like it useto be before she got sick. In the end we realized Nom Nom had a bacterial infection in addition to the fungus. Since all the changes we did lighting, probiotic, silver gel and a change in medication to voricanozole. All her infected scales have fallen off. She did lose her leg but we knew that and we're supposed to have surgery for it. We will no longer be doing surgery because everything is falling off on it's own. She has only the original growth left but that is also loose and about to fall off. We want to thank you ladies SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP and know that you were a big part in saving Nom Nom.
Is this the dragon now? I am so glad shes doing better and recovering--

Nom Nom

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello ladies, I just wanted to give an update because I thought this may be helpful to others in the future. Nom Nom has fully recovered. She is now completely active and is eating by herself. This is a lizard that our vet originally said would most likely die. I cannot say for sure what exactly did it, perhaps it was a combination of everything we did.From changing the lighting, cleaning infected area daily and treating with alternating manuka honey and silver gel. And switching from an oral terabinifine to vorocanizole. She went through 2 rounds of voricanizole treatment (our vet tested her liver between each to be sure she was handling it well) once we switched medication this is when we saw the biggest improvement immediately. I’ve attached a picture of her and just want to say it’s possible to live through yellow fungus. Nom nom is proof. Thanks again for ALL your help.

Attachments

• IMG_9140.jpeg
    IMG_9140.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hello ladies, I just wanted to give an update because I thought this may be helpful to others in the future. Nom Nom has fully recovered. She is now completely active and is eating by herself. This is a lizard that our vet originally said would most likely die. I cannot say for sure what exactly did it, perhaps it was a combination of everything we did.From changing the lighting, cleaning infected area daily and treating with alternating manuka honey and silver gel. And switching from an oral terabinifine to vorocanizole. She went through 2 rounds of voricanizole treatment (our vet tested her liver between each to be sure she was handling it well) once we switched medication this is when we saw the biggest improvement immediately. I’ve attached a picture of her and just want to say it’s possible to live through yellow fungus. Nom nom is proof. Thanks again for ALL your help.
Thanks for the update and so glad shes doing good-- you caught it early enough to stop it -- it can be stopped if treated early as you said - I have seen a lot of dragons w/ this stuff some of the outcomes are not as successful as yours was -- thanks again for the update

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Excellent update for your girl! That is terrific your vet didn't give up though, it can be beat with hard work & staying power. The right treatment quickly, makes all of the difference in the world!
As Sadie mentioned, more often than not, Yellow fungus isn't caught in time & the endings are usually not good.
Thanks for the updates!

Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Please keep us updated on your girl! There are so few positive outcomes on Yellow Fungus these
days that it's terrific to hear of success stories!
You can also add in a probiotic for awhile to help balance out her tummy since the oral meds do tend
to be a bit harsh on their systems.

Tracie

Latest posts