• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worms

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hef has worms. Yik. I just saw them. I've been wondering why he's eating so little. Off to the vet tomorrow. I hate vet bills. Ugh

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Uh oh, sounds like pinworm. Some antiparasitics and Hef will be back to normal in no time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
They look like 1 inch spaghetti. What kind is that?

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I assumed they were pinworms since you could see them, but I didn't think pinworms got that large. I'm not certain what type of parasite Hef has, but the vet should be able to identify them pretty easily being so large.

This is a good photo of pinworm, courtesy of Google. Disclaimer: I take zero credit for this photo.
115a0b3bbc853551036dde2580cc2b56.jpg

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
They were fatter than that. Damn I flushed them I should have kept it to avoid a test.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'm gonna look at pics of worms to see what they are.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you can see the worms in his poop then you really need to take him in.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Ya it's roundworms. Looked like spaghetti

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Poor Hef. Roundworms are easy enough to treat. Nasty little things though. Remember to clean like crazy!

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Do u think they'll make me do a fecal test or can I just tell them it's roundworm. I hate hate hate paying for things at the vet that aren't necessary.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They'll want to confirm it for themselves. Running a fecal will also check to make sure that's the only parasite present.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Good point. I wonder how he got them.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Roundworm eggs can be found in the soil when an infected animal poops. If the soil where Hef's greens were grown happened to be contaminated, the eggs could have gotten onto his food. Even rinsing might not eliminate everything, and they're impossible to see. That's all it would have taken to load him up with parasites. Parasites are kind of one of those inevitable things that we all deal with at some point or another.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
This is my first time for the worms.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Ruth had elevated levels of coccidia right off the bat when I got her, so I got my introductory crash course early. It's pretty much the same across the spectrum: give medication, keep everything super sanitary in the enclosure, and be prepared to offer slurries and water if the medication knocks out their appetite or dehydrates them. Parasites aren't too terrible to deal with.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'll get back to you about how it goes

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Slurries I'm guessing your not talking about vegetables. Do I hv to mash up worms. Omg my son is gonna have to do it. I cant. Lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No, not just veggies. I use stage one organic baby food, either butternut squash or spinach, zucchini, and peas. Then I toss in some clear Pedialite, bee pollen, probiotic, multivitamin powder and calcium powder. Put that into a bullet blending cup and toss a few roaches in and blend it smooth.

You may not have to do slurries if Hef continues eating with the meds. They all react differently. When Ruth was on Albon for coccidia she didn't skip a beat, but a lot of beardies stop eating. We'll just have to see how he feels.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
That's what they gave him is albon. He weighed 0.390 kg. He's 2 yrs old

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Couldn't get the fecal so I hv to take it in when he poops

Latest posts