• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

why wont my beardie grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi its raigan ive had my beardies for about 6 months now and the smallest one still wont grow both of my lizards are the same age the big onehes like big and very fat can anybody tell why he wont grow. :)

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to the forum. Are you housing your 2 beardies together? If you are thats is one reason why your dragon may not be growing. Diet temps, stress and several other factors could also contribute to your dragon not growing.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome!

In addition to Tom's questions, I guess I need some clarification on your opinion that your beardie is not growing. How much has he grown in the past 6 months?

Are your beardies the same age?

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i'm curious too if these guys are housed together. raigan_lizz, are you still around?

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi, yes my beardies housed together and their boh the same age he eats medium crickets just like the they dont or any thing except the bigger one sometimes sits on the little one so yer.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is really not recommended to house bearded dragons together. They are not social creatures and one may become the dominant one and cause harm to the other. You may want to consider separating them.

Since one appears to be growing at a slower rate, I would think this has started.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the bigger one is sitting on the smaller one that isnt being cute. Its being dominate. I would bet my next clutch thats your problem and you need to get them seperated. You will see a HUGE differance in your little one.
Small favor. Please dont type in text speak.
Thanks
Tom

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi thanks for that and i just don't that bit Tom how you said can you not write in text speech or something like well anyway thanks ill talk to my mum about separating them.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm glad to hear you are moving them apart. I'm working on an article related to all the cons with having 2 bearded dragons housed together. Look for it soon. If you need some info to discuss with your mom, the article may help you.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How are your beardies doing? Did your mom agree to separate them?

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
um not yet because their hibernating still so we don't to separate them yet .and we are thinking of getting them sand do you know what sort of sand we should get them?
okay bye

brasshandle

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi lizz ,you said your dragons are hibernating, unless im wrong beardes dont hibernate, i thought my dragon was being lazy, or am i mistaken. brass handle ;D ;D ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded dragons brumate. It is a form of hybernation, but not as deep as bears do in winter. Bearded dragons typically brumate in the winter time, somewhere between November and February. It can last anywhere from 1 week to a couple of months.

This is not the time of year for brumation, but I had a theory that my vet supported. Bernard would brumate when we turned the AC on for the first time. It lasted for about 3 weeks then he was back to being himself.

Lizz, have they eaten anything? Or drank anything. It is very important to keep them hydrated when they act like this. Just playing devil's advocate based on personal experience. We thought Bernard was hybernating, when he was being anorexic as our vet informed us. The end result was not good.

Can you describe their state of hybernation a bit?

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well their like wont come out of there log and the small one sometimes hides under the newspaper.
and I'm going to get them sand but mum doesn't know what sort of sand to buy.could you tell me what sort of sand to get them please?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm concerned that it is not a form of brumation, but the results of housing two beardies together.

Personally, I would not use sand until they reach 1 year of age. Sand is very controversial. Yes, I have used it in the past, but my hubby sifted it twice and you would be amazed of what we found. for now, I would use papertowels, reptile carpet or tile. Tile is good for long term, but if they are not in their permanent vivs, I would hold off.

If you choose the sand route, use children's playground sand. I would still sift it before putting it in the viv.

Are they eating regularly?

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
hi well their eating now that we've turned the light on .ted the smallest we gave them crickets today ted had two and the big one Carlton he i dint know how many crickets he had .so can we put fake grass in.cause mum was thinking of putting sand on one side and fake grass on the other side.so can we do that or do we have to put some sort of special stuff or yer
OK thanks bye

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sand on one side should be ok. I've never seen or heard of fake grass in a viv. I would put tile in there. It will make your life easier for cleanup. I am concerned that the grass would harbour bacteria, which would not be a good environment for your beardies.

Just a side note, lights should be on for 12-14 hours and off 10-12 hours. Lights need to include UVB lighting and heat lamp for basking. UVB bulbs should be tube or megaray. Do not use coil bulbs. Heat lamp can be a normal household bulb or a reptile heat lamp.

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
well the reason mum wanted to put fake grass in because the lady i got my lizards from had fake grass with her lizards and her snakes.
so yer .so what sort of tile?
ok thanks for all your help bye. ;D

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Regular floor tile that you can find at hardware stores.

raigan_lizz

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh okay so you can just use like white tiles.is that what have in your tank?

ok thanks bye ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts