• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What should I be feeding my beardie and how much??

cburns32

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I do not know the exact age of my beardie but I got him in September and I think I remember them saying he was about one month old. I have pictures from the day I got him and some from just a few days ago that I will post and hopefully you all will be able to give me an estimate on age and then hopefully a feeding schedule/diet for him.

I currently feed him about 15-20 gut-loaded, calcium dusted large crickets a day on top of 15-20 small pieces of salad greens (mixture bag). To change it up every once in a while I will give him 5-10 large super worms (calcium dusted) instead of the crickets but not very often. Is this too much or too little? What are the best greens for your beardie? Is there anything else I should be including in his diet.

Here is a picture from the day I got him (about 1 month old maybe??)......
2010-09-06160457.jpg

Here is a picture from a few days ago...
IMG_20110223_162251.jpg

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would transition the diet more towards greens and fruits and away from the protein (crickets). Some may argue with this but I think adult BD's don't need as much protein...

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well my general rule of thumb is:

Under 18 months of age, feed them as much Protien as they want to eat in a 15 minute period twice a day. 5 days a week dusted with calcium for one feeding and 2 days a week dusted with multivitiamin for one feeding.

18 months and over, they should start eating more salad on their own with little coxing from you and transition to protien two to three times a week.

Remeber that they are still growning until they are between 12 and 18 months old.

Fliehigh

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ive heard that beardies up to a year or about a year and a half should be fed mostly protien. A 80% protien to 20% green diet. Then after that be fed 80% greens to 20% protien.

The protien staple that I use for my juvies are reptiworms (they don't need to be dusted) and waxwoms as a treat. I give them collards for there greens, and I'll add other stuff with it like yellow squash.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We start ours out on Greens and Bugs this way they can always have something to eat they dont do a hole lot with the greens at first but they do end up eating them at a young age, we also feed a lot of Dubia ,crickets,superworms,hornworms,silkworms,phoenix worms we like to give a variety.as they get older they will start to eat more greens but we always offer the bugs , even our 2+ year olds still eat bugs .For greens we feed Collards,Turnip greens,escarole,dandelion,sweet potato,squash. Hope this helps

Latest posts