• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water for my baby, also should I give him a bath? HELP

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello,
I'm new to the BD club and Im not to sure on how my baby gets his water!
Right now we have only had him for a day and a half, Someone told me that the do not drink water, that I should give him a bath! If I should give him a bath, how where and when? What temp should the water be? should I put him in the tub , sink or get a larger dish of some sort? Also we have only been feeding him crickets dusted with calcium...What should i be feeding him as a baby?? please help!
Thanks
Storms mommy : )

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome to the Forum.....you can soak him in just about anything we use a plastic shoebox size container with luke warm water just filled enough so there feet still touch bottom. How big is he are you feeding greens at all this is a great page for different foods to feed him.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Bill,
No we are not feeding him greens yet, I will go to the store today and get some, his body including his tail is about 7-8 inches long, from lookin at pics, he's probably 3-4months old... That is a guess, I will post pics soon...thank you

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Offer him greens he may not eat them but offer them anyways. I bath my dragons twice a week mist my baby almost everyday I dont soak them just spray some water on the enclosure and they drink the droplets, that is when i remember. Some of my dragons drink from a dish so multiple things work

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have a baby, not much bigger than yours. he mainly eats crickets.. up to 60 a day.. and about 30 woodies...
he also eats greens, but only from my finger, l make a mix of the following. Not all at once, l change it every couple of days.
endive, spinch, celery greens, beetroot greens, carrot greens, squash, beens, grated carrot, dandelion greens and flowers, pansy flowers, nasturtium flowers and leave, apple pear, canteloupe ummm bok choy, basil leaves and flowers and a wee bit of commercial dragon food softened with either juice or water

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the only one that is really questionable is the spinach.. i was originally told that spinach was collard greens (which we don't have here), it's not like a give him a kg or anything... in the grand scheme of things he's lucky to eat about 1/2 teaspoon a day.. that of mixed salad

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I use to feed spinach but was reading there is something im that prevents the dragon from absorbing calcium so i stopped

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OOh ya ani think it was basil that u should read rarley id have to look again

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the info, the only problem I seem to have is he's only eating like 12 crickets a day, I'm going to assume this might be a problem, he will eat 1 little collars green piece from my hand. What are woodies?
Thanks,
Angela

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The temp is about 80 to 82 degrees, I am using a 60 watt uva/ uvb bulb during the day along with a heat pad underneath, at night I am using a red heat light at night, 50 watt
Help ;)

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
try to get your basking spot up to 90-105 cool spot 80 he wont eat a lot of greens at first just keep trying how many times do you feed him crickets a day

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok I will, I have been reading do many different things. So his basking light, is my uvb/ uva bulb ok? Just a higher watt bulb? I feed him 3 times a day, more if I think he's still hungry, for the first week I was feeding him in a different container thing, but yesterday and today I feed him in his " home" . Should I continue to feed him in a different container? I also have him in my living room, where I think might be too loud?? When I take him outside, he gets real light, and seems to enjoy it, but in his cage he is a little gray. Is all of this normal... I did try banana, but he was having no parts of it.
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my many questions, I just want him to be happy;)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hmm, l didn't think that UVB bulb would put out enough heat for basking.. do you have a thermometor in the basking area? I use a 60watt spot tone globe for basking, ceramic heat emitter for heat and a 10.0 uvb tube. my temps are 80 at the cool end 104 in basking area.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have Yoda in my loungroom. I have a 4year old girl (diva) and an 11 year old boy. They yell and fight constantly. I also have a 6 month old Jack Russell (inside most of the time.. very cold here) and the TV bellowing.. Yoda doesn't shy away, more to the point here gets real close to the glass to see what's going on
Your UVB globe needs to be a minimum of 10.0 otherwise they don't get enough uv. If they don't have a good basking area, they can't digest food.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i was feeding approx 60 crickets but he was eating next to no greens when l posted that. He would try the greens but prefer the crickets. This little guy was obviously being starved at the petshop where l got him.
I went in there the other day and the rest of the dragons from the same clutch still look like they haven't grown... mayby 6 inches from snout to tail tip and they are about 6 months old.
Now a little over a month after getting Yoda, he has settled down with his tucker. He eats mayby 20 small crickets a day but he loves his salad. I offer salad generally 3 times a day, sometimes 4 depending on how nuch he has left.
Yoda is now a little over 6 months old, he is 10 1/2cm from snout to vent or 25 cm from snout to tailtip and he weighs 41 grams. (compared to a month ago - 14 cm snout to tail tip and 14 grams)

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the info, the only problem I seem to have is he's only eating like 12 crickets a day, I'm going to assume this might be a problem, he will eat 1 little collars green piece from my hand. What are woodies?
Thanks,
Angela

Sorry i missed this. Woodies are cockroaches - not sure if it's aussie slang or not but that's what they are sold as

Duecej

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well storm is a non stop eating machine, he's eating roughly 35 crickets a day prob more if I gave them to him, and he's been helping himself to the mustard greens in his bowl..yay I haven't given him a bath yet, but soak him with a spray bottle twice a day, he let's me know when he's had enough of the spraying..LOL ..I am still having a problem with holding him ..puffs runs and opens his mouth, but as I have read, they do get better with age..my baby is growing quickly..yay.
Just thought I'd give an update ;)

Latest posts