• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vermiculite contains asbestos???

PôřkÇhöp

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Who here knows anything about vermiculite containing asbestos?? I was recently informed by someone at Home Depot that they quit selling it 9 years ago due to this fact. Who in their right mind would still manufacture something with asbestos containing materials??? Was I misinformed??

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not shure But a lot of places sell it and I wouldn't belive half of what some one says at home depot I will go check mine

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It does have silica in it and it can hurt your lungs if exposed to if for a long time

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's up to you I don't use any pearlite but many use just pearlite only

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was told that perlite contains elements that could affect hatchlings but I wasn't given any specific details. A lot of breeders use the product & claim not to have any issues whatsoever but I have no plans of using it in the future.

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i use a mix of perlite and vermiculite but no it may have contained asbestos years ago but it dosent now but it is very harmful if inhaled but thats a little hard to do since its main purpose is to retain water in soil so its ok ur safe lol

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
alot of perlite has fertilizers in it that would harm them you just have to go to special places that sell it pure without any additives

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Remember all post are based on opinions It is up to everyone to use their own judgment on any product If an item has a warning label on it then it’s up to you to make the decision to use it.

PôřkÇhöp

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, I just looked at the perlite my wife bought and its the Miracle Grow brand... Sure to have additives I certainly do not need my babies in

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yea sometimes you need to orderit i get my stuff cause im lucky lol im in a school program where we raise 3000 tilapia and soon to be grass carp adn we compbine it with aquaculture and hydroponics but we also do some regular growing and planting so my teachers buy vermiculite and pearlite in bulk and let me take what i need

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
its fun i llike it lol but im sure if you look it up on line you can find it withiut additives

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yea sometimes you need to orderit i get my stuff cause im lucky lol im in a school program where we raise 3000 tilapia and soon to be grass carp adn we compbine it with aquaculture and hydroponics but we also do some regular growing and planting so my teachers buy vermiculite and pearlite in bulk and let me take what i need
The same carp that jump up out of the water & smack u in the face when ur cruising in a boat?

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
lol umm i think so lol in florida the government uses them to eat all the invasive aquatic vegitation what we do is we will have quite few breeding and then all the babies you put under high presure which sterilizes them so they can not reproduce when brought into the wild and the government buys 5 inch baby carp for 7 dollars a piece to be introduced to over run waterways then once the carp have eaten all the invasive vegitaion they become food for other animals

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Asian carp were introduced here to combat the overgrowth of vegetation & now they have overrun & congested waterways. Good to know that something is being done.

alivia werner

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
oh i know isnt it horrible but luckely people are smart enough to sterilize them now lol

Latest posts