• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Turning Black In One Spot.

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
I got the 24"UVB, Tank length is 36" how would you heat it? I have my current heat bulbs but I figure since the tank is larger I will need more heating. I was going to get a floor heater. That makes sense about heating top down because I cocoon her in the blankie and if she gets too hot she comes out a little. The tank seems really long compared to how little she is. I guess its all a learning curve. What is your view on eco husk substrate?
She is a big eater!!! What should she be consuming at this age?

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
She is a big eater!!! What should she be consuming at this age?
I got the 24"UVB, Tank length is 36" how would you heat it? I have my current heat bulbs but I figure since the tank is larger I will need more heating. I was going to get a floor heater. That makes sense about heating top down because I cocoon her in the blankie and if she gets too hot she comes out a little. The tank seems really long compared to how little she is. I guess its all a learning curve. What is your view on eco husk substrate?
The only reason I ask is because some blogs are like 50-60 others are like 10. She can eat 20 straight up in a couple of minutes. If she is full she stops eating.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Heat bulbs are trial and error- what are you using now and what wattage? Make sure your taking basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- place on spot where the dragon sits for basking-- 95-100 for a juvie and 105-110 for a baby- you don't want a substrate that causes impaction and nothing that gives off a lot of dust- that's going to cause RI's-- loose substrate like sand wood chips walnut or coconut are not good- most recommend textured NON adhesive shelf liner or a slated ceramic tile no coarse / rough but something w/ a texture for non slippage-- no floor heater-

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so I have set the tank up the basking spot is 115/110 depending on the height of the hammock. She is fine in the whole tank and as soon as she gets on that one rope up the top again she turns black. I would take it out but she chooses to sit there :S what would you do? Floor is around 87 mid tank cool spots on the left are 84. Same thing again she has her normal colouring and then as soon as she jumps on that rope at the same point she turns black? Could it be a territorial thing?

Also I know basking temp is ideally 110 when I was testing it was higher and she kept trying to get higher for more heat. She did not have her mouth open with a pant. In fact I have only ever seen her do that once and it was when I cocooned her in my heated blanket. If the basking spot is higher and there is a second basking spot lower if she chose to lay in the hotter one above 115 would she know when it get's too hot and move? Or would it be dangerous?

IMG_7192.JPG

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so I have set the tank up the basking spot is 115/110 depending on the height of the hammock. She is fine in the whole tank and as soon as she gets on that one rope up the top again she turns black. I would take it out but she chooses to sit there :S what would you do? Floor is around 87 mid tank cool spots on the left are 84. Same thing again she has her normal colouring and then as soon as she jumps on that rope at the same point she turns black? Could it be a territorial thing?

Also I know basking temp is ideally 110 when I was testing it was higher and she kept trying to get higher for more heat. She did not have her mouth open with a pant. In fact I have only ever seen her do that once and it was when I cocooned her in my heated blanket. If the basking spot is higher and there is a second basking spot lower if she chose to lay in the hotter one above 115 would she know when it get's too hot and move? Or would it be dangerous?

View attachment 29839
I see a red glow what is that?

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
I think I may have worked it out. Temperature change is the most common reason for a beardie to turn black. Since these reptiles thrive on high heat, darker shades help absorb heat faster than other colors. So, when it gets cold and chilly, they turn their skin black to soak up and absorb as much heat as possible

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
The rope leads to the hammock so it is always lower. Perhaps she is black there to soak up the light to get warm but when she is all the way in the hammock she doesn't need too because its hotter??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The night time bulb.
Please get rid of it-- this is causing stress there should be no lights on at night dragons like cool and dark- temps at night should be 65-75 and a stick on can be used for ambient temps- colored bulbs disturb their sleep and can cause long term eye damage- dragons have a 3rd eye on their heads for predators- if your tank is dropping below 65 at night please get a ceramic heat emitter or che- they emit heat only no light

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Kinda late to reply to this thread my apologies,….I agree with 99.9% of the above, you absolutely need a tubular uvb light , compact/coil coil uvbs offer to much uvb in a concentrated stream or little to none at all, i have personal experience with them being bad (my dragon started closing one eye, became lethargic, didn’t want to eat) proper uvb is MORE IMPORTANT than anything, you need two different lighting sources, a basking bulb (clear/ bright white light) with a temp of 105-110 for a baby 95-100 for an adult, get the baby outside for natural sun in the meantime, if i may make a couple more recommendations, backgrounds are so important for babies and male dragons, they hate seeing their reflections and it stresses them, ive includeed some pictures of the things i use and have had success with. If you have any more questions please do ask there are no silly questions :) you dragons super cute, love the jingle around its neck.

Attachments

• 4657A665-6A02-4BE7-9846-137570E67E14.jpeg
    4657A665-6A02-4BE7-9846-137570E67E14.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • C93536E4-93F9-46D3-B947-D6D91A43A316.jpeg
    C93536E4-93F9-46D3-B947-D6D91A43A316.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 4
  • 224BCF26-9278-4905-89AD-3BCEF4DFA0E5.jpeg
    224BCF26-9278-4905-89AD-3BCEF4DFA0E5.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2DF4C020-222E-42E0-AD28-7D5F2EC28748.jpeg
    2DF4C020-222E-42E0-AD28-7D5F2EC28748.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 4
  • B7998814-3D55-4DC0-9D7E-A346E8A3B18B.jpeg
    B7998814-3D55-4DC0-9D7E-A346E8A3B18B.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 04CF9CFE-5308-47F2-A14F-2A9D83612CA5.jpeg
    04CF9CFE-5308-47F2-A14F-2A9D83612CA5.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 86666BFA-E035-4580-864E-6651CD9AC833.jpeg
    86666BFA-E035-4580-864E-6651CD9AC833.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 8

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you so much
Kinda late to reply to this thread my apologies,….I agree with 99.9% of the above, you absolutely need a tubular uvb light , compact/coil coil uvbs offer to much uvb in a concentrated stream or little to none at all, i have personal experience with them being bad (my dragon started closing one eye, became lethargic, didn’t want to eat) proper uvb is MORE IMPORTANT than anything, you need two different lighting sources, a basking bulb (clear/ bright white light) with a temp of 105-110 for a baby 95-100 for an adult, get the baby outside for natural sun in the meantime, if i may make a couple more recommendations, backgrounds are so important for babies and male dragons, they hate seeing their reflections and it stresses them, ive includeed some pictures of the things i use and have had success with. If you have any more questions please do ask there are no silly questions :) you dragons super cute, love the jingle around its neck.
Thank you so much. I have the tube I love the background where did you get it? She is pretty skiddish today not sure what to do to easer her. She is still a little dark when I am holding her and usually thats all she needs.

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
She has one eye closed a lot thank you for mentioning that. Do you have any tips for keeping herbs alive in their tanks.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She has one eye closed a lot thank you for mentioning that. Do you have any tips for keeping herbs alive in their tanks.
Cork bark tile, and a sand matt, i think Amazon or chewy, sand paper can also be used as a background , unfortunately i dont have tips on keeping herbs alive, they all get destroyed i have fake plants lol, mint is very hardy though, get another cork bark tube chop it into two tube and plant ur mint in those, it’ll look natural and the enclosure will smell nice :)