• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Turning Black In One Spot.

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
My 4mo baby dragon is generally light unless she is cold or hungry. There is one spot in her tank where she sits and she turns black just in that one spot only.. This morning she was there and for the first time she was blowing her beard up.. Why do you think this is happening? Attached are two pics. The first in the spot :p
IMG_6989.JPG
IMG_7079.JPG

Mightaswell

Hatchling Dragon
Maybe its seeing its own reflection in that one spot. The angle you took the photo has a reflection of the lizard almost looking at it self.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
She does look pretty dark, can u confirm you got correct temps and uvb? 105-110, long tubular fixture (NO coil/compact uvb)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My 4mo baby dragon is generally light unless she is cold or hungry. There is one spot in her tank where she sits and she turns black just in that one spot only.. This morning she was there and for the first time she was blowing her beard up.. Why do you think this is happening? Attached are two pics. The first in the spot :pView attachment 29757View attachment 29758
If shes on a hammock temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons or IR guns they do not read off of hammocks -- as suggested NO coils for UVB please -- if you need help in that dept please ask -- those look like stress marks of which can be caused by many things so the first thing you want to do is rule out lighting and basking temps -- babies need 105-110 temps -- when she gets older she will not want those temps that warm but for now keep them there - is she eating? what are your feeding her? she needs fresh salads every day rinse before serving she will hydration from them make sure your gut loading the insects before feeding her -- they need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 lighting coated and vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated -- but first and for most the lighting in the tank needs to be correct

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
She does look pretty dark, can u confirm you got correct temps and uvb? 105-110, long tubular fixture (NO coil/compact uvb)
Hmm I have the uvb that goes in a light fitting. One heat one uvb.

The funny thing is if she moves over to the hammock right next to her same height same temperature she changes colour. It's just literally when she sits at the top of that rope. It is definitely warm enough. It's 115.
2941306-center-1.jpg

If she sits two inches down on the rope she is fine. If she sits on the vine same height right next to it she is fine. It's litrally that one two inch area. I thought maybe it could have been a dominant trait?

I feed her collards, grass hoppers and a couple of meal worms every once and a while as a treat. I only introduced them to her a week ago. She loves mango, which I give her every 2 weeks as a treat.

I'm not sure what a digital probe thermometer is or how that works?

I have never heard of gut loading the insects? Could you tell more? Dust alive crickets with calcium?
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG

She is not stressed from playing with my 2yo which I get stressed from lol... Her vines came yesterday and this mini log. Her vavarium looks a little cluttered now should I take some things out? (The paper flooring is because I am washing her substrate)

IMG_0208.JPG

I have never seen her go in the hidy holes and the log was meant to be for bearded dragons but it looks too small to me what do you think?

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
If shes on a hammock temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons or IR guns they do not read off of hammocks -- as suggested NO coils for UVB please -- if you need help in that dept please ask -- those look like stress marks of which can be caused by many things so the first thing you want to do is rule out lighting and basking temps -- babies need 105-110 temps -- when she gets older she will not want those temps that warm but for now keep them there - is she eating? what are your feeding her? she needs fresh salads every day rinse before serving she will hydration from them make sure your gut loading the insects before feeding her -- they need to be dusted 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 lighting coated and vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated -- but first and for most the lighting in the tank needs to be correct

The funny thing is if she moves over to the hammock right next to her same height same temperature she changes colour. It's just literally when she sits at the top of that rope. It is definitely warm enough. It's 115.View attachment 29819

If she sits two inches down on the rope she is fine. If she sits on the vine same height right next to it she is fine. It's literally that one two inch area. I thought maybe it could have been a dominant trait?

I feed her collards, grass hoppers and a couple of meal worms every once and a while as a treat. I only introduced them to her a week ago. She loves mango, which I give her every 2 weeks as a treat. She also loves sweet potato.

I have never heard of gut loading the insects? Could you tell more? Dust alive crickets with calcium?
View attachment 29821View attachment 29820

She is not stressed from playing with my 2yo which I get stressed from lol... Her vines came yesterday and this mini log. Her vavarium looks a little cluttered now should I take some things out? (The paper flooring is because I am washing her substrate)

View attachment 29822

I have never seen her go in the hidy holes and the log was meant to be for bearded dragons but it looks too small to me what do you think?

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
Yes I realised I do have the uv lamp but if it were that why would she not be stressed in other areas of her tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I realised I do have the uv lamp but if it were that why would she not be stressed in other areas of her tank?
Please get rid of the coil UVB they are NO good -- your dragon is not getting enough UVB -- I would look at getting a bigger tank as well - the tank looks pretty high you have her in now but please get a long tube fixture like a 24" fixture Zoo Med Sunblaster Nano or a Arcadia Pro T 5 --- distance and placement is crucial for these depending on the type of screen you have --- you will need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you need more help w/ this please ask --- this can be a cause for being stressed --- improper UVB will lead to all kinds of health issues --

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
I did get her a new tank today, its a It’s a 50 long 20 in wide. So with the new tank size what is light fixture should I get.

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
Also how much UVB does she need? She loves being out of her tank all the time is there a rule as to how much time she is allowed out of the tank? I have a heated blanket for my back issues. She loves it. She would sit next to me all day if I let her. The room where we chill is very sunny. What are your thoughts?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also how much UVB does she need? She loves being out of her tank all the time is there a rule as to how much time she is allowed out of the tank? I have a heated blanket for my back issues. She loves it. She would sit next to me all day if I let her. The room where we chill is very sunny. What are your thoughts?
She needs 4 hrs of basking- outside time in the sun is great- sunny room that is going to be filtered-- you don't want filtered- she needs to be able to warm up so if you want to break that time up that would be ok but you want her basking at least 4 hrs

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
Please get rid of the coil UVB they are NO good -- your dragon is not getting enough UVB -- I would look at getting a bigger tank as well - the tank looks pretty high you have her in now but please get a long tube fixture like a 24" fixture Zoo Med Sunblaster Nano or a Arcadia Pro T 5 --- distance and placement is crucial for these depending on the type of screen you have --- you will need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you need more help w/ this please ask --- this can be a cause for being stressed --- improper UVB will lead to all kinds of health issues --
So I was looking at hoods this may be so dumb but are there ones you can put a heat lamp in aswell so that both lights are in the hood ie.
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.38.57 PM.png

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
She needs 4 hrs of basking- outside time in the sun is great- sunny room that is going to be filtered-- you don't want filtered- she needs to be able to warm up so if you want to break that time up that would be ok but you want her basking at least 4 hrs
Even if she is sitting on a heating pad so she is warm?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Even if she is sitting on a heating pad so she is warm?
No dragons heat from their backs not stomachs --- your going to need a bigger tank here real soon -- she wont be in the 26 gallon long - dragons need floor space not height --- I would recommend to start looking for a 75-120 gallon tank w/ front doors - please invest in a 24" UVB fixture like the one shown above -- I also posted others in my other post -- the T 5 bulb can work beings the tank height is 16 inches - T 5's need a distance of at least 15 inches -- it would need to sit on the top of the tank w/ NO screen in between the UVB and you would need to place the basking decor directly under it w/ a distance of 12-15 inches -- if you want to use a all in one that would be a Mercury Vapor Bulb I do not recommend them as you would still need the UVB I am recommending you get - the reason being is they MVB's usually dont put out enough UVB that the dragon needs -- so you end up buying the long tube fixture anyway -- they MVB's are harder to get the temps to what they need to be so its a more experienced dragon owners that gets the best use out of them -- please get your tank adjusted to what she needs ASAP- w/ her not getting the proper UVB she will eventually quit eating all together and start developing MBD --

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon

The funny thing is if she moves over to the hammock right next to her same height same temperature she changes colour. It's just literally when she sits at the top of that rope. It is definitely warm enough. It's 115.View attachment 29819

If she sits two inches down on the rope she is fine. If she sits on the vine same height right next to it she is fine. It's literally that one two inch area. I thought maybe it could have been a dominant trait?

I feed her collards, grass hoppers and a couple of meal worms every once and a while as a treat. I only introduced them to her a week ago. She loves mango, which I give her every 2 weeks as a treat. She also loves sweet potato.

View attachment 29821View attachment 29820

View attachment 29822

24 to 48 hours before feeding your dragon the bugs,
Feed the bugs good healthy greens and veg, then feed to your dragon, it's a twofer lol the dragon gets both
Gut loading

Rusty

Juvenile Dragon
24 to 48 hours before feeding your dragon the bugs,
Feed the bugs good healthy greens and veg, then feed to your dragon, it's a twofer lol the dragon gets both
Gut loading
I take the bugs out and put them in smaller container add the veg, feed next day or the day later, then put new bugs in my feed tank

Vanesssa

Hatchling Dragon
No dragons heat from their backs not stomachs --- your going to need a bigger tank here real soon -- she wont be in the 26 gallon long - dragons need floor space not height --- I would recommend to start looking for a 75-120 gallon tank w/ front doors - please invest in a 24" UVB fixture like the one shown above -- I also posted others in my other post -- the T 5 bulb can work beings the tank height is 16 inches - T 5's need a distance of at least 15 inches -- it would need to sit on the top of the tank w/ NO screen in between the UVB and you would need to place the basking decor directly under it w/ a distance of 12-15 inches -- if you want to use a all in one that would be a Mercury Vapor Bulb I do not recommend them as you would still need the UVB I am recommending you get - the reason being is they MVB's usually dont put out enough UVB that the dragon needs -- so you end up buying the long tube fixture anyway -- they MVB's are harder to get the temps to what they need to be so its a more experienced dragon owners that gets the best use out of them -- please get your tank adjusted to what she needs ASAP- w/ her not getting the proper UVB she will eventually quit eating all together and start developing MBD --
I got the 24"UVB, Tank length is 36" how would you heat it? I have my current heat bulbs but I figure since the tank is larger I will need more heating. I was going to get a floor heater. That makes sense about heating top down because I cocoon her in the blankie and if she gets too hot she comes out a little. The tank seems really long compared to how little she is. I guess its all a learning curve. What is your view on eco husk substrate?