• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too large too soon?

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi we rescue and rehome please read my lengthy post below that I posted to you. Also for UVB, u need to order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank. This is the best & most recommended UVB and bulb & all UVbs need replacing every 6Mnths also yes u do need the ceramic heat emitter for him only at night when sleeping to keep the temp above 80 after he turns 8mnths of age u can use it for him only in the winter time of the temp drops below 70 degrees when sleeping. As they get older there body temperature needs to cool down at nite but as babies they need to remain semi warm at nite. Here’s a pic of the UVB to order…
The dual dome is a heat lamp and ceramic heat emitter. I bought a temperature switch that I’m testing right now to make sure it works right before I leave it on

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Is this a T 5 and is it on top of your screen? If so what type of screen? Fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type?
Yes, the one that you sent. And it’s a fine mesh. The screen is pushed up to the UVB and there is no obstruction between the face of the bulb and the enclosure

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, the one that you sent. And it’s a fine mesh. The screen is pushed up to the UVB and there is no obstruction between the face of the bulb and the enclosure
Ok so you want the uvb directly over the basking decor approx 12-15 inches since it's open

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so you want the uvb directly over the basking decor approx 12-15 inches since it's open
Okay, it’s only a 20 gallon. So if I close the fine mesh screen and put that as a barrier between the light and the basking decor would that be okay?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, it’s only a 20 gallon. So if I close the fine mesh screen and put that as a barrier between the light and the basking decor would that be okay?
Use the 5.0 that came w/ the fixture for now-- have the distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Got the light. Set it on top like you said. And his highest point is still about 7 inches from his basking spot.
Please order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB it’s a long tubular light the length I order should cover 70percent of the tank and be placed starting at the hot side and 12 inches minimum away if the UVb is placed inside the tank if it’s above then 7inches away is ok. Rmwmebr all uvbs need replacing every 6Mnths and for heat get the zoomed clear basking heat lamp. Never ever used colored or coiled bulbs and at night all
Lights offf. Use a ceramic heat emitter for beardies 7mntjs and younger at bedtime to keep the temp between 80-84, after the Beardie is 7mnths or older then the temp at night should not drop below 70 as they are older they can handle a lower temp at night 70 or a few degrees higher is ok, so only use the. Warm I heat emitter for an older dragon in the winter months to keep it from dripping below 70. In the summer u don’t need it cuz it’s hot already assuming u don’t sleep with the AC running all nite