• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Too large too soon?

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey there, we’re new to owning a bearded dragon. We’ve currently got our ~ 2 month old in a 20 gal. I know we’re going to have to upgrade the enclosure sooner than later. At what size or age is it okay to move him from a 20 gallon? And would it be too much to skip straight to get a 4’x2’x2’ zen or equivalent? Want to start getting the stuff for the move!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 58

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey there, we’re new to owning a bearded dragon. We’ve currently got our ~ 2 month old in a 20 gal. I know we’re going to have to upgrade the enclosure sooner than later. At what size or age is it okay to move him from a 20 gallon? And would it be too much to skip straight to get a 4’x2’x2’ zen or equivalent? Want to start getting the stuff for the move!
What is in the long fixture ? Brand and bulb please--- you can leave her in the 20 gallon till shes around 3-4 months old but I would move her then --- your going to haft to upgrade you UVB to a long tube fixture
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb if your using a coil type now in the fixture thats on top of the tank I recommend ordering this now and use the 5.0 bulb on the 20 gallon -- you can set the fixture width wise on top w/ NO screen - set it on the very end and place the screen up to it w/ basking bulb on top --- have the basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches --- then when you get the 4x2x2 replace the 5.0 bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - it will go right into the new tank --- how are you getting basking temps? I see no gauges at all --- you need two digital probe thermometers one on the basking side placed for 10 min where the dragon sits for basking 105-110 -- one on the cool side of the tank 80's during the day -- you can use a stick on for ambient temps at nite 65-75 -- what is in the dual dome? When you get the 10.0 T 5 bulb distance will be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor INSIDE the tank ---

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
What is in the long fixture ? Brand and bulb please--- you can leave her in the 20 gallon till shes around 3-4 months old but I would move her then --- your going to haft to upgrade you UVB to a long tube fixture
24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...o-med-reptisun-t5-hood?variant=26907425734756 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb if your using a coil type now in the fixture thats on top of the tank I recommend ordering this now and use the 5.0 bulb on the 20 gallon -- you can set the fixture width wise on top w/ NO screen - set it on the very end and place the screen up to it w/ basking bulb on top --- have the basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches --- then when you get the 4x2x2 replace the 5.0 bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - it will go right into the new tank --- how are you getting basking temps? I see no gauges at all --- you need two digital probe thermometers one on the basking side placed for 10 min where the dragon sits for basking 105-110 -- one on the cool side of the tank 80's during the day -- you can use a stick on for ambient temps at nite 65-75 -- what is in the dual dome? When you get the 10.0 T 5 bulb distance will be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor INSIDE the tank ---
The bulb is a Reptisun 5.0 coil. We got one of the 20 gallon kits from Zoomed. Wishing now we would have parted out separately. And we have one gauge in the center for an ambient temperature and humidity level with a dehumidifier right next to the tank. Between 35-40%. We also have a Milwaukee temp gun that we use to take readings for basking/cool zone. We’re right In line with the temps you mentioned above

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
No coil bulbs, they are very bad for beardies. Only linear UVB can give off what they need. I suggest getting another Reptisun because there's not much else that's safe or effective
The bulb is a Reptisun 5.0 coil. We got one of the 20 gallon kits from Zoomed. Wishing now we would have parted out separately. And we have one gauge in the center for an ambient temperature and humidity level with a dehumidifier right next to the tank. Between 35-40%. We also have a Milwaukee temp gun that we use to take readings for basking/cool zone. We’re right In line with the temps you mentioned above

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
And the dual dome is the heat lamp and a ceramic heat emitter. Haven’t had to use the latter yet

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please get rid of it ASAP -- they are no good ---- please get what I posted

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And the dual dome is the heat lamp and a ceramic heat emitter. Haven’t had to use the latter yet
You wont need to use that till winter and only IF your tank is falling below 65 at nite -- I recommend you get a Exo Terra digital probe hygrometer --- place on the back center wall of tank it will read the whole tank

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
You wont need to use that till winter and only IF your tank is falling below 65 at nite -- I recommend you get a Exo Terra digital probe hygrometer --- place on the back center wall of tank it will read the whole tank
Also threw one of these in the cart with the new hood

Chris45

Bearded Dragon Egg
u can put hr in a 4ft one now i got 4ftfor mine & she as in it from 2 monh onwards

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Congrats on your new Beardie. We rescue and rehome & yes you may move him now to a bigger tank or wait a few more weeks. A small tank stunts their growth and stresses them out. Also, just a word of advice & some hot tips looks like you have a strange heater of some sort and 2 basking bulbs, I’m hoping one is the ceramic heat emitter that is to be used only at night. You need a UVB light; the long tubuler light and a zoomed CLEAR basking bulb for heat. The best & most recommended UVB is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 u can order online with the holder or get it from a Specialty pet store. The length U order should cover 70 percent of the length of the cage. “All” UVB bulbs need replacing every 6Mnths religiously. Place the Reptisun beginning at the hot side. Then u need a ceramic heat emitter which emits heat but no light; as a baby 7mnths or younger u need to turn this ceramic heat emitter on at nite so the temp can remain between 80-84. After he turns 8mnths only use the heat emitter in the winter if the temp drops below 70. After 8mnths they can handle 70. At bedtime; Turn the basking & UVB lights off; never use colored or coiled bulbs ever. Buy a digital thermometer with a probe and a digital hygrometer $10 each at petssmart and an infrared gun from Home Depot or online to shine on the basking spot which will give a more accurate temp reading. Temp for a Beardie 1-8mtnhs is 100-105. As he gets older 95-100 only. Also he needs a bigger hideaway eventually as he gets older and the tank is a bit crowded. Try and place the food bowl in the corner of the cold side so he has room to roam. They love hammocks so consider getting one Amd a soft fleece blanket to place where he sleeps they love soft. And are u feeding meal worms? If so don’t do it they are horrible for their digestive system, it’s a cheap fatty feeder & it impacts them. He should be fed 4 times a day Dubias & crickets in 10min increments as many as he can eat. The proteins need to be dusted in calcium powder once per day 4-5 times per week and once per day/week with herptivite on a noncalcium day. And always a fresh plate of greens & veggies everyday and replace when wilted. The beat are mustard greens, yellow squash which has lots of calcium, butternut squash, endives, dandelions, collard greens, snap peas ans green beans mix 2-3-4 per day. As treats some fruits the best are blueberries, mangoes & papaya a few times a week. Baths twice per week and more when shedding in lukewarm dechlorinated water; buy reptisafe it removes the chlorine. Fill the water up to his knees or a sliver higher in a rectangular Tupperware or a clean sink or bathtub. Also turn on mediation music during his baths it relaxes them & makes them comfy. They love watching tv during the day soft mellow shows like friends, I love Raymond, Disney/cartoons. I keep the tv on all day low volume. Here are pics of my tank and powders to buy and lights.

Attachments

• 0DF03D1C-9B87-4869-8BEA-B74334CB7078.jpeg
    0DF03D1C-9B87-4869-8BEA-B74334CB7078.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • ADE2E55B-B25A-4805-92D7-F5A75EBA4AC1.jpeg
    ADE2E55B-B25A-4805-92D7-F5A75EBA4AC1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • 1DC02A54-53AD-404E-A663-AF0E0383C72A.jpeg
    1DC02A54-53AD-404E-A663-AF0E0383C72A.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FA8FF378-D78A-48A1-BC4D-0755FE693ADF.jpeg
    FA8FF378-D78A-48A1-BC4D-0755FE693ADF.jpeg
    791 KB · Views: 24

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It’s been ordered. Thank you!
Hi we rescue and rehome please read my lengthy post below that I posted to you. Also for UVB, u need to order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank. This is the best & most recommended UVB and bulb & all UVbs need replacing every 6Mnths also yes u do need the ceramic heat emitter for him only at night when sleeping to keep the temp above 80 after he turns 8mnths of age u can use it for him only in the winter time of the temp drops below 70 degrees when sleeping. As they get older there body temperature needs to cool down at nite but as babies they need to remain semi warm at nite. Here’s a pic of the UVB to order…

Attachments

• 0C0BB438-70B8-4686-8EFB-DEF0EC043B4E.jpeg
    0C0BB438-70B8-4686-8EFB-DEF0EC043B4E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 31

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is mine
Hi; remove the sand it impacts them because they ingest it. The best to use as substrate is white terry cloth towels and or paper towels. It’s good for sanitary habitat upkeep as well. They can get Coccidia very easily from bacteria from feces. Also why so many plates u need a veggie/greens plate & a water plate. Remove the cactus plant he will poke himself or eat it and get injured & where is the hideaway and his fleece blanket for sleeping? They need a hideway to hide inder and get away from the UVB/heat when needed this is very important also for brumating as some Beardies Brumaire. They also need soft & cozy to lounge and relax too.

Kevin and Emily

Bearded Dragon Egg
Got the light. Set it on top like you said. And his highest point is still about 7 inches from his basking spot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got the light. Set it on top like you said. And his highest point is still about 7 inches from his basking spot.
Is this a T 5 and is it on top of your screen? If so what type of screen? Fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type?