• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tips for my enclosure?

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is Set's enclosure. I am very happy with how it looks but I would like opinions and some advice on what could make it better for him. So far the issues I know of, I am going to switch back to the reptile carpet I used in an older terrarium since this sand isn't quite as safe as I thought. (It's the stuff everyone says don't use but I didn't read that soon enough. Calcium sand from pet store.)

I also need to get the thermometers lower. I placed them too high and the actual temps are incorrect for being too close to the lights.

When I switched to this larger terrarium I also got him larger bowls and a larger cave, he had never once gone into the cave which seems weird to me. Hes been in this terrarium with this setup for almost a month.

I also debate whether that backing is okay or not, its a styrofoam rock that I love how it looks but he climbs all the way up it and tends to sleep vertically on it, cute but also afraid he will fall and hurt himself.

It is 18 inches tall and has a 75watt heating lamp.

SetIsAllSET.jpg

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Looks good.

Few things I've noticed a lot of the folks here say right of the bat is.....

Get rid of the sand. As it looks good it's very harmful to the beardie if ingested. It can not be digested and will cause impaction and possible death.

And use prob thermometers at basking area and cool side.

For this guy should be between 105 - 110 in basking area and 80 - 85 cool side. With humidity 10 - 20%.

I also would move the Uvb over with the basking bulb. So ones in front of the other as apposed to side by side.

Also is the UVB on top of a screen?
And what kind of UVB is it?

If it's on top of the screen you need to get something in there that allows your guy to get within 8 inches of it. Because the screen cuts the UVB the reptile gets in half.

Moving it inside gives better exposure and they only need to get within 10 inches of it.

The backing I used also. Found that over time that there claws will pull chunks out and they may try to eat it..... So use at your discretion.

Or you could put a clear non toxic sealer over it so the beardies can't tear it apart..

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
The UVB is on top of the screen, I use this bulb, the 18" one that I had on my smaller terrarium before I got this newer one.
http://www.petco.com/product/111479/Zilla-Desert-50-UVB-Fluorescent-T8-Bulb.aspx

The humidity tends to go alittle above 20, usually close to 30 but rarely above that unless I leave it open for a little while. I have been considering tile for a day or two now since seeing it used a lot here on the forums. My only issue is cleanliness, I AM getting rid of the sand its just what to replace it for. Tile would be annoying to clean since the poo would get into the grout between the tiles and be hard to clean. Though I do have one question for tile measurements, the terrarium is 36x18x18 does this measurement start from the outside of the glass or from the inside and go across. When getting the tile should I request a piece that is 35.5x17.5?

Childrens play sand that has been prepared seems a common choice here as well which I would like to use but am unsure of exactly what to do to prepare it for the enclosure.

I will keep the backing in until it seems to start coming apart, as soon as it does it will be removed and replaced with one of the scenic desert images.

Thank you for the info I am going to look at tile in the next few days

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That UVB is not a good one. Use the repti-sun 10.0 it provides the best UVB option and only has to be replaced once a year as apposed to every 3 to 6 months like the others.

Since its on top of the screen make sure he can get within 10 inches of it.

Another option for substrate could be millet seed. It's digestible if they were to get some in them. Line the bottom with paper towel 3 layers. Than millet seed on top. Change the paper towel every week and the millet seed every 6 months. Obviously spot clean by scooping the poop etc. This could be another option.

If you use tile you don't need to get one piece use like a 6x6 so they can be easily removed for cleaning.

I'm not sure how to prepare the sand as I have never used any type or form of sand with mine. Just paper towel and newspaper. I will be going to the millet seed once my girl is about 12 inches or so.

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hah, duh, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just get the tile in pieces. I am going to order the light you suggested right now, the wattage is the same as what I currently use so I am hoping I can put it into the current mount I have.

If the temp is supposed to be that high in his basking area then I definitely need to get 100watt heating lamps up there. He currently sits around 85-90 where hes at. So I will go ahead and order some of those as well.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yea the light takes a lot of playing with. Regular house hold flood lights work good also and are brighter white light and cheaper. Also could be useful. As opposed to a basking "spot" it will give you a basking area.

And as always make sure they have a rock or something to lay on that gets warn to aid in digesting there food..

As they get older the temps don't need to be as high. But I personally leave em that way I know they always will be suitable heat to aid in digestion.
In my pic of my girls enclosure I have a 100 Watt basking spot bulb. I have it this way because the cool side stays at 85 to 90 and never drops below 72 at night.

A flood light may be very beneficial for you as your viv is larger and will help balance the heat and humidity threw out.

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hmm, the one I use now is more a flood light than a spot lamp. The one I was just looking at online seems to be more spot than flood. I cant find the one I use online for some reason was looking for it so i could send a link of it.
This is the one I was just considering, for the 100watt capability and the two connected lights. I have two currently a night and a daytime light.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have that same fixture. I only use the one side.

You only require night heat if temps drop below 65 degree in the enclosure at night. If it doesn't don't use night heat as they do have to cool off over night.

If you have too use night heat use the ceramic heat bulb. It emites only heat and no light.

Also if you do get that light fixture maybe use both of the sockets with the same bulb as u have now? Double the bulb should give off more heat....

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Didn't think of that either. Two 75watt bulbs would be nice since I already have a backup one here for when the current one dies. I could try that. The temp here does get fairly low during winter, not the best insulation in the house. I use a red night light to keep the heat up a bit. It keeps it a little less than the day light. Around 80 usually.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sometime the easiest solution is the hardest to find without help lol.

I would definitely get rid of the red light at night though. It can disrupt there sleep and not give them the rest they need.

It would be like you trying to sleep with a red light in your face no fun lol. If it does get cold deaf get yourself a ceramic heat bulb. Like I said earlier gives heat just no light.

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alrighty, he does tend to sleep under his basking rock or up on the wall in the back at the top where the light doesn't hit him. Never thought it was because of the light.

Thanks a lot for the help, I am going to check if they have these in-store near me before ordering online hopefully have these lighting needs taken care of today.

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, I am going to wait until I see just how cool it gets here at night then try that if it does get below 65. Just got back from the store, they had everything in stock so hes got all new lighting.

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright, checked the temp and humidity when I woke up. After the night without the night lamp on it was ~70 degrees and ~40 humidity. Down from ~100 degrees and up from ~18 humidity. Are these levels acceptable for overnight?

After work, when I got home and checked again, it was 100 and 18 again.

Set_Beadra

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright, here is a pic with the new changes. I messaged Germ with a question about the type of sand he uses and he gave me instruction on how to prepare it. Found some at a Lowes and switched it. The new lighting is shown in this pic as well.

I moved his piece of wood so he could sit on the top part of it to get close to the sun lamp and higher up to the heat lamp if he wants. I showed him he could and I occasionally have seen him sitting up there.

WP_20140202_001.jpg

Latest posts