• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The masterpiece is almost done... a visual display

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, just got on the first layer of grout. I bought some really really fine &%* fake stone paint at a hardware store today. has a real desert color and rough grainy finish to it. should go on the grout really well and look amazing. she showed me in the store on some sample paper and WOW.

Sliding glass doors just came in today....

Anyways here is my start to where I am now montage. I will update new pics daily!

Love to hear your ideas, comments, Kudos or nay's

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

2011_0924_134808.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Looks like something the little ones would have a blast with.

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
looking great. Just curious, how much room do you have from the highest part of the platform and where the lights will be?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I left about 8-9 inches to the heat lamp. if thats what your asking? in the back left corner.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That may get warm you might have to rais the light fixture to acheive the proper temp.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That looks AWESOME!!!!! My questions: Is the paint and such safe for your beardie? And will the styrofoam be able to support their weight? And how easy is it going to be to get in there and wipe everything clean as it looks like it is permanently in the enclosure? Let me know as I am trying to come up with some homemade deco's for our girls new home!

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks and... the paint is covered by five layers of mod podge. toxicity shall not be a problem. Oh the styrofoam is pretty strong due to the grout, paint and mod p. And I have the pillars which will help a lot.

Cleaning will be a tad tight but shouldnt be too bad since i can come in from the front and not from the top like an aquarium set up.

the only regret I have is I wish I made the trail running down the back wall (stairs) wider. I didnt take into account they can grow UP to 20 inches haha. I kind of pictured him staying at 8-9 inches he is now hahaha. still should be wide enough but could have used one more inch or so.

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks and... the paint is covered by five layers of mod podge. toxicity shall not be a problem. Oh the styrofoam is pretty strong due to the grout, paint and mod p. And I have the pillars which will help a lot.

Cleaning will be a tad tight but shouldnt be too bad since i can come in from the front and not from the top like an aquarium set up.

the only regret I have is I wish I made the trail running down the back wall (stairs) wider. I didnt take into account they can grow UP to 20 inches haha. I kind of pictured him staying at 8-9 inches he is now hahaha. still should be wide enough but could have used one more inch or so.
So you just used regular grout and "painted" it on the styrofoam? Did you then cover over it with paint? As far as Mod Podge, I use that for craft projects all the time. Would never think to use it for something that needs to be waterproof. If I might suggest getting some Royal Coat as it is water resistant and non-toxic. http://www.plaidonline.com/royal-coat-decoupage-finishes/109/product.htm Keep the pictures coming, I think you have done a fantstic job! I'm all about "pretty' and this looks great.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well you shouldnt have to worry about water in a BD's enclosure?? ;)

Yes, just a coat of grout, then used some thick sanded paint with primer. then MP'ed it with 5 coats.

once I get the top on and some cacti etc in there I will post the last picture

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well you shouldnt have to worry about water in a BD's enclosure?? ;)

Yes, just a coat of grout, then used some thick sanded paint with primer. then MP'ed it with 5 coats.

once I get the top on and some cacti etc in there I will post the last picture
I was just thinking for cleaning purposes. I would imagine you use some sort of water to clean out the enclosure? Or if your dragon were to poo and you didn't clean it up right away it would soak into the finish. I keep a water dish in my enclosure as well and sometime it gets bumped when Scarlet is moving around and spills a bit. The water then sit under the dish in a wet puddle. I've also heard that MP over time if exposed to any moisture will turn milky and peal. Do not know if that's true or not as any project I use it for is completely dry. Just a thought. Either way i think what you have done is great!

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks.. I bathe Orion so water in there wont be an issue. also. Orion seems to poop in the same area everytime lol

so cleaning I dont think will be a big problem. but we will see.. take it one day at a time..

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
pretty much done. just need to clean it and put some touch up paint in some small areas and get it on the stand!

So far Orion seems to love it. He is exploring all the areas and even grabbed some greens from his dish I put under the first landing. he is awesome!!

Orion is tough to spot in this picture but he's there ;)

DSC_0150.jpg

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the only concern right now I am having is after 2 hours of the heat lamp on the mod podge, it feels kinda tacky. the 5th coat of MP has been sitting on there for at least a week before I turned the heat lamp on tonight.

the 150 watt light is about a 12-14 inches away from the first landing there. hmmm

is this normal for anyone else using MP? temp is about 102-103 ish according to my exo-terra thermometer I have sitting on the first landing spot

update! ok just looked at the thermometer reading and its now off the chart. its past 120 degrees! WTF? its obviously wrong? Or should I go down to a 100 watt or 120 watt instead of 150?

117star

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
150???? Holy cow that sounds way to high, I think a 100 or 75 would be enough. Check the box it should tell you what the temps are at any given distance. But in my opinion 150 is WAY to strong. I would be worried that the styrofoam might even melt as it doesn't take much. Be careful! By the way Orion is so stinkin' cute, he looks lost on there. And you did a fantastic job!!!! What is holding the cacti in place?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks really good but if the finish is coming off because of the heat, something needs 2 b done. You might want 2 consider rehousing Orion until u get this resolved, just 2 b safe. Definitely drop down to a 75 or 100 watt bulb 4 the basking area (like mentioned above) & see if u still have the same problem. Hope u get everything worked out, the enclosure turned out nice.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ok ill get a 100 or 75 tomorrow.

The cacti are in place with some PL premium glue underneath. the one of the left is just sitting un-glued in a hole but the one on the right on the landing is glued down. there is also another tall cactus in the sand bottom right

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the cacti? I got one from a local pet store and the other two at a petsmart.

well I just threw in a 100 watt bulb and at the same distance it seems like its topping off at about 100. that sounds better than 120+ lol.. so it's either 100 or 120 because they dont make a 120 watt bulb from what I know.

Latest posts