• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperatures, what do I do?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yes the dimmer for the basking area.
Like sadie ive never used one, but im guessing you want it to read the temp as hot as it’s getting, id move it to the left , if its reading at 7” instead of the recommended 9” it’ll be fine, i think ur getting a little to technical with ur setup (but thats a wonderful thing, not many beardie owners go to the extents you have) :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There’s lots of data that says 100-110 is what you want, its okay if its 112 but really you wanna stay close to 108, temps fluctuate throughout the day (depending on if u run ur ac or not) i had my temps at 112 (when my girl was a bebe) cause we live in FL and its unbearably hot and we run our ac 24/7

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thursday, hoping it’s all sorted in time. :bd:
Oooo exciting :) what all do you gotta do to get it ready? Ik u said the background, Please take some pics for us, really look him over when u get him aswell (to make shure he’s healthy) start with the belly and vent) (they dont like having their squish exposed) after hes been wrangled by you all, drip some water on his snoot get him hydrated and offer a bug or two.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Oooo exciting :) what all do you gotta do to get it ready? Ik u said the background, Please take some pics for us, really look him over when u get him aswell (to make shure he’s healthy) start with the belly and vent) (they dont like having their squish exposed) after hes been wrangled by you all, drip some water on his snoot get him hydrated and offer a bug or two.
It really is soooo exciting, I’m also quite nervous! I still have to grout and seal the cave and get the temps right. Once that is done I’m ready for him however I am trying to get the background and sides finished too, think I might run over so I will just add them after.
I am getting him from a really reputable breeder, I will definitely check him over and send pics anyway.

here’s a link to the breeder Facebook website if you want to have a look https://mobile.facebook.com/profile.php?id=411352165626254

thank you

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
41CCACFD-FDE1-4EBB-926F-B05B9020C3C8.jpeg9B1ABE94-76EA-4023-B1DE-AA1980E922E4.jpeg81CBAD82-2198-400A-9252-57ED06E9E89E.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Wow they have some cool dragons, wish i lived in the uk, you picked a wonderful dragon too! i prefer the oranges,yellows, n reds :) to the other morphs, you’ll do fine raising the lil guy, with how much effort you’ve gone through for the enclosure, all your prep work, he’ll have a good and happy life.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Wow they have some cool dragons, wish i lived in the uk, you picked a wonderful dragon too! i prefer the oranges,yellows, n reds :) to the other morphs, you’ll do fine raising the lil guy, with how much effort you’ve gone through for the enclosure, all your prep work, he’ll have a good and happy life.
I know, so cool! I’m so glad i found them!

thank you, that’s kind, I just wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I took in any animal and made it sick, when all it takes is a little research. Bit of an animal lover lol. I really hope so

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I’m getting a stable 108.3f at the basking spot, I will see how that goes throughout today.
its 84f slightly off centre back wall (closer to basking spot) I will change position when background goes in.
And about 76f in the cool side, it’s quite close to the floor atm.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok so I am totally confused, I set up my basking area (being controlled by a dimmer) turned my lights on and put two probe thermometers on the basking site, both had completely different readings, so I set up a third and that’s different as well!

one is an aquarium thermometer (it’s a good one)
View attachment 27694
The other two I bought from Amazon so I am less inclined to trust, they are also hygrometers
View attachment 27696View attachment 27695
I have used a temp gun which also has a different result.
I really don’t know what to do? I’m thinking trust the more expensive aquarium one and lower the temperature?
Hi; a lot of changes need to be made here for this Beardie. First of all u need to buy the $10 digital thermometer w/the probe from Petsmart and the IR Gun as well. The Gun is more accurate but the temps will fluctuate depending on the weather outside & the temp in your home. Also get the round dial digital hygrometer from Petsmart too. 2ndly u need the zoomed heat lamp for heat and a long tubular reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. I see NO UVb here except a blue light & heat lamp. U cannot use colored or coiled bulbs ever. The tank looks very small & not high enuff; please get a 40 gallon tank form Petsmart it’s $169 to house a Beardie under 9mnths old after that u should get a bigger tank; and u need to life the hammock & stick it to the glass & place it behind the bashing spot so he has 2areas to bask; less hot when he wants; beardies like to be up not ground level. Later get a basking platform when he gets bigger. He needs to be 10inches minimum away from the uvb and this UVb needs replacing every 6Mnths & he needs a hideaway to hide from the uvb Amd a fleece blanket or soft pillow. Without UVb he will get brittle/weak bones, unable to walk ro eat Amd slowly death. Also what kind of greens are u giving and how will the Beardie reach his greens with such a high Tupperware container?? The greens need to be cut up into small pieces and he needs protein as well. The best everyday greens and veggies are mustard greens, dandelions, collard greens, butternut squash, yellow squash which has lots of calcium, snap peas and green beans. Do 2-3 of each everyday & get a low reptile dish so he can reach it. If he’s young under 6Mnths he needs crickets ans Dubia roaches 3 times/day more protein if he’s under 3mntjs. Never feed dried pellets or meal worms it’s horrible for their tummy. Here’s a pic of mine; the rigth side is my hot side. Keep both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter; more like 10 and 12-14 hours in the summer; more like 14. At night NO lights pure dark & quiet; of the temp goes below 70 in the winter use a 60watt ceramic heat emitter which emits heat and no light. But if he’s inder 6mnths temp at nite should be 82-84 so use the ceramic heat emitter as he’s growing.

Attachments

• 9EE935FF-7655-49AF-922A-F7E4493AD9FA.jpeg
    9EE935FF-7655-49AF-922A-F7E4493AD9FA.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 07060285-3FD5-49DC-807B-5B36E2EEEC8C.jpeg
    07060285-3FD5-49DC-807B-5B36E2EEEC8C.jpeg
    748.4 KB · Views: 7

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’m getting a stable 108.3f at the basking spot, I will see how that goes throughout today.
its 84f slightly off centre back wall (closer to basking spot) I will change position when background goes in.
And about 76f in the cool side, it’s quite close to the floor atm.
How old is the Beardie?? For Beardies 8-9mnths plus; the temp should be 95-97 and for under 9mnths it should be 100-105. As beardies get older the temp cannot be soo hot. Also please read my in depth post theres a lot of changes that need to be made.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Hi; a lot of changes need to be made here for this Beardie. First of all u need to buy the $10 digital thermometer w/the probe from Petsmart and the IR Gun as well. The Gun is more accurate but the temps will fluctuate depending on the weather outside & the temp in your home. Also get the round dial digital hygrometer from Petsmart too. 2ndly u need the zoomed heat lamp for heat and a long tubular reptisun 10.0 T5 for UVB. I see NO UVb here except a blue light & heat lamp. U cannot use colored or coiled bulbs ever. The tank looks very small & not high enuff; please get a 40 gallon tank form Petsmart it’s $169 to house a Beardie under 9mnths old after that u should get a bigger tank; and u need to life the hammock & stick it to the glass & place it behind the bashing spot so he has 2areas to bask; less hot when he wants; beardies like to be up not ground level. Later get a basking platform when he gets bigger. He needs to be 10inches minimum away from the uvb and this UVb needs replacing every 6Mnths & he needs a hideaway to hide from the uvb Amd a fleece blanket or soft pillow. Without UVb he will get brittle/weak bones, unable to walk ro eat Amd slowly death. Also what kind of greens are u giving and how will the Beardie reach his greens with such a high Tupperware container?? The greens need to be cut up into small pieces and he needs protein as well. The best everyday greens and veggies are mustard greens, dandelions, collard greens, butternut squash, yellow squash which has lots of calcium, snap peas and green beans. Do 2-3 of each everyday & get a low reptile dish so he can reach it. If he’s young under 6Mnths he needs crickets ans Dubia roaches 3 times/day more protein if he’s under 3mntjs. Never feed dried pellets or meal worms it’s horrible for their tummy. Here’s a pic of mine; the rigth side is my hot side. Keep both lights on for 10-12 hours in the winter; more like 10 and 12-14 hours in the summer; more like 14. At night NO lights pure dark & quiet; of the temp goes below 70 in the winter use a 60watt ceramic heat emitter which emits heat and no light. But if he’s inder 6mnths temp at nite should be 82-84 so use the ceramic heat emitter as he’s growing.
hi Julie1971,

I have
  • Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12% 24w
  • Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot 100w
  • ProRep Ceramic Heat Emitter 100w
  • I have an ir gun and two hygrometers plus two thermometers
  • The tank is 2ft high
  • There are no coloured bulbs or coil
  • My basking temps have been stable for two days at 108.3f

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
How old is the Beardie?? For Beardies 8-9mnths plus; the temp should be 95-97 and for under 9mnths it should be 100-105. As beardies get older the temp cannot be soo hot. Also please read my in depth post theres a lot of changes that need to be made.
I’m not sure what pictures you are looking at but everything in my setup is spot on. No offence.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Vivarium is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
What high Tupperware container are you talking about? I don’t have one of those in there, I’m confused?!?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
He’s about 2 and a half months.